Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Honda Civic

goodoldboy

Our old civic is now 21 & has just failed the Spanish MOT .The catalytic converter has been shot for a few years now but the local MOT place has turned a blind eye , until today.so what to do? This car owes us nothing , we've spent hardly any money on it in the last 10 years & 80 000 miles.it's let us down once , a fuel pump that cost €50 .it's a 1.6 16v & although not a rocket ship by modern standards it's fun to drive & still is quite , rattle free & comfortable.has anyone replaced a Cat on an old car? Should I stick with it for a year more? We're looking at buying a Auris in the near future but putting another 2 - 3 hundred euros into the civic might give us another year?

If it just needs a new Cat and you're happy with it apart from that I'd fix it. Its not just "The devil you know" as its cheaper in the long run.

I read a report today about new car emissions vs. those from old cars. Some new 'Euro 6' cars produce worse emissions than older ones as the Lab tests don't replicate real-world driving.

I get attached to my cars and would keep them forever if I could, I'm not one of those who has to have the latest gizmo !

Bob.

If a Cat is all it needs then I'd fit one, definately. Hondas have an enviable reputation for reliability IMO. It'll give you at least another years cheap trouble free motoring, virtually zero depreciation and, besides, recycling is good for the planet so everyone's a winner:thumbup:

Thanks everyone. I'm going to look for a new Cat & Lambda probe.I had a quick look online yesterday & a lot of sites don't seem to have model specific cats so I need to double check.keeping it us the favourite option , it's a really well built car , from IMO the golden age , mid 90s.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Save it and when you can't any more replace the whole car with the oldest Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla you can find in decent condition and it will out last a brand new Auris i bet .

I looked at newer Toyota's for my stepdaughter and a 2001 (ish) Corolla is just run in at 100k miles whereas the newer stuff needs a new clutch and other stuff at 60k because its saves the planet to crush it and sell a new one .

I’d go with keeping it too, mind I’m a sucker for getting attached to vehicles I like, whatever their state, my 80 is testament to that after owning it for 11 years :lol:

A good car is about how you bond with it, as is a bike. Driving (and cycling) is an extension of your very being, so a new cat is a small price to pay to keep that going... IMO

Drill large hole in top of cat so most exhaust gas escapes before it gets to the testing probe.

Drill large hole in top of cat so most exhaust gas escapes before it gets to the testing probe.
That sounds interesting! But I've already ordered a new Cat & probe.but the probe is in the manifold.

how are they detecting it? through emissions or is the eml on ( bit of a giveaway then). Did you try plugging a VW ECU into it- apparently that solves everything. Plan C is to tell them you are Catalonian and to Foxtrot Oscar. Sorry I cannot be of more help but my knowledge of fixing things is more limited than my knowledge of taking them apart.

Bought one of these for my sister some years ago the SE model with heated seats what a comfortable reliable car that was.

She gave it in many years later for £500 trade in for the newer model type R. What a load of horse sh@t!!
Almost broke my back couldn't wait to get out in a 2 mile journey....lol
Certainly would fix her up for many more years of motoring :thumbup:

Last edited:
The type R is what all the boy racer muppets that don't know which is the front of a baseball cap round here drive round in with blacked out windows, paint can exhausts and no suspension to speak of.

It's going to get interesting when they put the speed humps in. :) I may actually like them.

how are they detecting it? through emissions or is the eml on ( bit of a giveaway then). Did you try plugging a VW ECU into it- apparently that solves everything. Plan C is to tell them you are Catalonian and to Foxtrot Oscar. Sorry I cannot be of more help but my knowledge of fixing things is more limited than my knowledge of taking them apart.
Yep the light is on.Had a rattle about 5 years ago & though it was the heat shield but my mechanic said it was the CAT breaking up from the inside.The mot has tightened up considerably in the last few years.

ah well then you need to take the bulb out
they are wise to this my friend .The Spanish test involves you driving your car through the station but in the last few years they have become wise to the foot on the brake whilst testing the handbrake trick & the taking out the ABS/airbag light "solution" im just back from holiday & the civic is still in the garage so no photos yet.
but on holiday i got a nice little upgrade from the car hire folks...
It was the most modern car i had driven for a while & was quite surprised by how much go it had compared to a 21 year old 1.6 petrol....untill i saw the GT line badge on the side...some 200 + BHP .It had all the latest toys the most useful being sat nav (i have relied on map/compass/missus nav for years) & the reversing cam.It managed 37 MPG which is almost the same as the civic on motorways.But 18 inch wheels 6 low profile tyres mean that the tramlining on that concrete section of the M25 on the way to the M23 was so bad that i thought for a moment we had a flat or a loose wheel.Oh 6 the spoet button changes the exhaust note to a rather pleasing roar....but all that tech? in not a Luddite far from it but i suspect that this peugot wont be on the road in 21 years time.

IMAG1749.jpg

Back