Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hoping for advice on potential LJ70 purchase

Henry Marshall

Country Flag
uk
Hi there,

New to the forum so a big hello!

My wife and I have just moved back to the UK from Los Angeles, and seeing all the Land Cruiser action going on over there has me looking for one of my own as our new wheels, and love the look of the LJ70.

This guy is up for sale http://bmrange.co.uk/vehicle/name/toyota-land-cruiser-2-5td-lj70/#vehicle-details

Am considering having it inspected (because I can't get to see it myself and because generally I'll happily admit this is a learning curve for me!) but was hoping to lean on the wisdom of the forum members for a quick sense check before stumping up the cash for the inspection.

Main concerns are whether it's hiding any rust, as it always seems impossible to tell from pictures, and whether the 2.4L TD engine will be powerful enough? I understand they are generally considered underpowered, but if anyone has first hand experience they could share I'd be grateful. I would prefer the 3.0TD in the KZJ70 I expect, but finding one for sale in good condition seems unlikely?

Any help or advice appreciated!

Thanks all, have a nice day.

Hi Henry and welcome to the forum :thumbup:

I don't know much about the 70 series but while the truck in your ad looks nice the number of members who have done an engine swap from 2.4 to 3.0TD makes me think you would be better to wait until you find a KZJ70 .

I would say the asking price is KZJ money anyway .

Hi Henry and welcome to the forum :thumbup:

I don't know much about the 70 series but while the truck in your ad looks nice the number of members who have done an engine swap from 2.4 to 3.0TD makes me think you would be better to wait until you find a KZJ70 .

I would say the asking price is KZJ money anyway .

Thanks Shayne, appreciate the response. Lots to think about!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I hadn't noticed that but yeah i guess mileage has something to do with it . Its a sad fact most Landcruisers are being sold by people who don't know a damn thing about them so the search is rarely a quick one .

It has just crossed my mind that the 90 series cruisers never went to America so are perhaps you should take a look at Landcruiser Colorado's as well just because there are more for sale and it will help you judge values a little better .

I hadn't noticed that but yeah i guess mileage has something to do with it . Its a sad fact most Landcruisers are being sold by people who don't know a damn thing about them so the search is rarely a quick one .

It has just crossed my mind that the 90 series cruisers never went to America so are perhaps you should take a look at Landcruiser Colorado's as well just because there are more for sale and it will help you judge values a little better .

Thanks a lot for the advice, really appreciate it. I'll do some research into the 90s, and will bide my time to wait for something good to come up.

Back