Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Horrible day today

They are coming from China, so it will be a while, let you know as soon as it arrives.

Ok I confess, I bought one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HD-...-/370821466829?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item5656ae8acd
oh and guess what these are shite too!
i should have known better, cheap Chinese junk, any camera that uses IR for night vision needs to be outside! otherwise the IR just reflects off the glass.

personally, I think the only way to go is to use a go pro camera.

besides the rubbish picture quality this one only loops the video for three minutes, so if you have an accident! it more likely to over record the data unless you catch it immediately.

Hi Guys.

Alot of these cameras are more designed for internal recording hence the IR's. They were originally designed for the taxi market to keep an eye on passengers and TBF even the very cheep ones do this well due to the close proximity and uninterupted view. IR will struggle to penetrate most windscreen glass though. Plus the range on these things is at most 6 foot. Coupled with the fact that ambient light levels are quite high with your headlights and other vehicles and street lighting you actually don't want the thing to switch over to IR mode.

What you are looking for is a Low Lux camera with a responsive iris. otherwise oncoming traffic is just going to blind it.

I use one of these

EMV200S-160x160.jpg
With 2 of these
AVM-730-160x160.jpg

And 2 of these
kccd222-160x160.jpg

and get pictures like these
Wagon_Large.jpgnight link_1.jpgReal-20130415150152.jpg

Definately not a quick cheep option for making sure blame is apportioned quickly but excellent for videoing trips and adventures.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
These look very nice Chris. Do you have any more details on them?

2 megapixle full Hd1080p progressive scan CMOS Sensor. B&W down to 0.2 lux Colour to 1 lux. Excellent little camera to be honest. If you are looking for a price Grant I can't really post it on an open forum. Our suppliers work hard to keep the prices withing the industry. If you want more info drop me a PM

Heard from my insurance company today.

Thus:

Their allegations are that we have attempted to undertake a cyclist turning right into Wood Street and in doing so have collided with their clients bicycle.

Having reviewed the footage you sent us it shows that this is not the case and that you have proceeded straight ahead after the cyclist had turned right and if anythng you have then moved further right rather than left and into their clients bicycle.

I have forwarded the footage and your statement and diagram to the third party solicitors holding their client liable for the incident.

I was quite pleased to read their response, any sympathy I had for the cyclist has evaporated since their opportunist claim !

Other side now have to change their story, 'cos that version won't run, video proves them 100% wrong, and I dont know how changing stories affects claims, but it cant strengthen it.......

I doubt they will withdraw their claim, their claim isnt about fair recompense for an unwarranted injury, its about solicitors being given something to get their claws into, so they wont just walk away - I now expect them to modify their story in some way, although whether their witness will support this will be interesting, I know he was def sympathetic to the cyclist, but that isnt the same as lying.

Pete.

What they are doing now Pete is backtracking hoping your insurance company will allow them to drop the matter without charging a fee for reply correspondence .

Glad things are moving in the right direction, albeit slowly, as it usually is with these things.

Good news Pete, great that you had that vid cam running when you did.

My camera just arrived - It's sitting on the desk in front of me.

My camera just arrived - It's sitting on the desk in front of me.

Well well, so has mine and it's on my desk. Whoa, look out, bloody maniac just cut me up, never mind got him on camera.

lol-045.gif

Edit

Here's the camera on my desk

Desk.jpg

Here's the camera in the car

Desk2.jpg

And here's the first clip, at night and raining, but much better quality than the other rubbish one I had;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeMxQIs3HkE&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
I bought one of the original £15 cheapies and find it OK in daylight but night use isn't that good unless it's under strong street lighting. I've used (borrowed) a Drift HD camera on the bike and it's as good as anything you'll get at twice it's price IMO. At least as good as a GoPro and easier to handle. Might even treat myself in the New Year sales!

That is much better quality than the one I have (£15 cheapie), so I think I might get one of those in the new year. Thanks for the mini-review Chas. :thumbup:

Back