Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hot offside back wheel

Neil Smith

Country Flag
great_britain
Fellas,

Got an issue with my rear off side wheel becoming really hot? I've been out and about this weekend. Driving on some wet/muddy conditions using low diff and high level settings. On stopping I could smell something hot?? One doing a check all round I found that the back offside wheel was really hot? The other three were cool?

Not sure if this is related but the engine management light has come on along with the VSC /TRC and VSC OFF warning lights?

Any suggestions and are the lights coming on related or are the warning lights down to something else? They came in recently but wenT off again up to today??

Fellas,

Got an issue with my rear off side wheel becoming really hot? I've been out and about this weekend. Driving on some wet/muddy conditions using low diff and high level settings. On stopping I could smell something hot?? One doing a check all round I found that the back offside wheel was really hot? The other three were cool?

Not sure if this is related but the engine management light has come on along with the VSC /TRC and VSC OFF warning lights?

Any suggestions and are the lights coming on related or are the warning lights down to something else? They came in recently but wenT off again up to today??
Hi @Neil Smith,

Just a thought, could it be that if you were 'off roading' something may have got stuck/lodged in your rear O/S wheel/brake drum or even caliper, and the warning lights could be because it all got so hot your ABS sensor has been damaged.

Could be, but not limited to, handbrake shoes stuck on, wheel bearing problems, and so on and so forth.

The only way to be sure is to have a look, wheel off at least, and then investigate further.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking like that's the starting point. Having parked up for a couple of hours that let the wheel cool on then driving for 10-15 mins on stopping again the wheel was cool again, the same as the others 3? Warning lights still on however??

Something similar happened to me once just after driving through a rather weedy patch of slow moving water. We were in the middle of nowhere with a limited set of tools, so with the truck on the bottle jack i tried to remove the drum to have a look but couldn't budge it for love nor money. In the end there was nothing to no but let it cool overnight and drive out the next morning in search of a mechanic. By the time we had left the park the wheel was running free and hasn't been a problem since. I never did figure out what happened but guessing something in their seized.

Have you got disc's on the back or just a handbrake? There isn't much in their so i'd whip off the drum and see whats going on in there.

I've got discs.

I'll do as suggested as the warning lights are still on?

I've got discs.

I'll do as suggested as the warning lights are still on?
You've got disc's and drums combined, that's why the caliper is so small in comparison, there are brake shoes in side the drum/disc but they are only for the hand brake, so there could easily be something failed in there.

If you are going to remove your rear Disc/Drum, you will need two long 8mm bolts, to screw into the two threaded holes in the Disc/Drum, also make sure you have adjusted the adjuster inside the drum all the way off, before you attempt removal.

Like I said, I think, the only thing that could bring the warning lights on associated with the rear wheels are the ABS sensors.

Good Luck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounding more like the hand brake could be sticking?? Need to get the drum off and see what's what?

Had the wheel off and found that the caliper was sticking. Addressed the problem but it does need new calipers both sides on inspection.

Are any calipers better than another's?

I had the LPG System serviced yesterday. On explaining to the mechanic that the engine management lights had come on and I thought it was linked to the rear wheel issue he outlined that it had come on down to a fuel issue? This was a pressure issue that he resolved on the service and re-set the warning lights that have since stayed off? I'm not completely clear in my mind just what this pressure issue was, any thoughts??

Any recond calipers will be pretty much the same fare. You can get rebuild kits or complete calipers from Bigg Red, they are as good as anyone.

Any recond calipers will be pretty much the same fare. You can get rebuild kits or complete calipers from Bigg Red, they are as good as anyone.
I concur, well said.

I rebuilt mine, a little awkward to get the pistons out without comperssed air.

Had the wheel off and found that the caliper was sticking. Addressed the problem but it does need new calipers both sides on inspection.

Are any calipers better than another's?

I had the LPG System serviced yesterday. On explaining to the mechanic that the engine management lights had come on and I thought it was linked to the rear wheel issue he outlined that it had come on down to a fuel issue? This was a pressure issue that he resolved on the service and re-set the warning lights that have since stayed off? I'm not completely clear in my mind just what this pressure issue was, any thoughts??
LPG Fuel Pressure, was to low or to high, I suspect to low.

I can understand the engine management light coming on for the fuel issue, but not the VSC /TRC and VSC OFF lights, as they are to do with Traction Control (also know as TRAC) and Vehicle Stability Control, not fuel.

Pressure too low it was the verdict. Not sure how often that this can happen?

Back