Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How did you decide? (Series 60 vs 80)

120mm

Country Flag
germany
So, I am about a week out from purchasing my Land Cruiser, and I am looking at several 60 and 80 series rides.

I am tending to lean toward the 60, since I like the styling, the agricultural feel of it, plus its relatively stark interior.

But some of the 80s really tempt me with the "plush".

Why did you choose a series 60?

Its not so much of a choice here here in the UK; decent rust/rot free 60's are few & far between...

Are the 60 cart springs or coils?

Cart aka leaf springs... Not aware of any 60s on coils

I also like the look of the 60. If I'd have made a choice between the two the deciding factors would likely have been rust and comfort leaving me with an 80. If they weren't an issue, the 60 would likely win.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If i could buy either new the 60 would definitely be my choice but comfort sends me to sleep . Realistically much as i like the 60 i view buying one as old as they are like volunteering yourself for a long and expensive labour of love and so for me reason dictates an 80 would be the only option .

60 was never in my thoughts... For me the 80 is the only choice...

As a 60 series and 80 series (only for a while) owner. With this debate you always have to remember that without a 60 there would nt be an 80 like it is.

I have taken front wings of the 60 and then you see the over built nature of the beast. When I took the front wing off my 80. To be honest I was shocked by how "light weight" they are in comparison. Don't mean to offend 80 owners but they are tinny with 60 % less bolts in comparison .:wtf:

Style and ruggedness the 60 any day.. Power and comfort the 80.. there's a company in the Usa that fit good 60 bodies onto 80 chassis and call it the 140 series. .. way to go! Best of both worlds!:think:

Fortunately for me, we have this thing called "Arizona". Where series 60s are relatively available and nearly always completely rust free.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4806851612.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4798857297.html

I absolutely lust for one of these. And the prices are right. The first one needs a few maintenance things done; brake booster just about gone, power steering pump leak and an intermittent starter fault. Hopefully, by Tuesday or Wednesday I will own one of these. The downside is I have to drive about 1200 miles home in one.

Good luck with your purchase & we look forward to seeing what you end up with

lol - I get your point; but I'm not a big fan of driving long distance with a newly purchased vehicle. I intend on getting off main roads on the way home and posting blog entries as I go as well. The American Southwest is gorgeous, and I'll be traveling with a rather comely companion.

Keep us posted on the outcome, and (offroad)pics of the journey!

So, minor update: The best type 60 has sold; am down to one type 60 and one type 80. I will have a friend test drive them both and then based on that, I will buy one or the other.

I am waffling over buying the 60, because, frankly, the use of salt on roadways in Iowa is prevalent. This is perhaps the worse possible place to own a car for rust and from my research, the 60 will rust on command. I think it would break my heart to kill a perfectly good type 60 this way. Of course, I am capable of metal work, as I once was an aircraft mechanic, so it might work.

I am with Iwan in that I like the 142, 62 series rather than 60. I am thinking 62 on 80 chassis with Vortec swap 5.3L/NV4500/60 series split case/manual hubs up front. Maybe one day when I am not working on customer rigs .....

Keep us posted on the outcome, and (offroad) pics of the journey!

Pics of the "rather comely companion" might go down well too :lol:

Seriously though, good luck with the purchase, which ever model you choose :thumbup:

I am with Iwan in that I like the 142, 62 series rather than 60. I am thinking 62 on 80 chassis with Vortec swap 5.3L/NV4500/60 series split case/manual hubs up front. Maybe one day when I am not working on customer rigs .....

Make it happen bro! :music-rockon::music-rockon::music-rockon::music-rockon::music-rockon: Old school rules! You knows it!:thumbup:

Back