Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

how long to leave to drive from Sheffield > Dover

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
how long does it take to drive between Sheffield and Dover?

since i will be staying at Worksop (nr sheffield) the night before heading over to France enroute to Pyrennes on a monday morning in mid-June.
Ferry sailings are hourly, so thinking about which booking to make.

tomtom says 4hrs, but i have never driven much south of leicester on the East side of UK! so would be good to know if 4hrs is realistic! esp with a ferry to catch

I would suggest about 5 & half hours, adding the half hour extra for the M25 if it is heavy.

Autoroute says 3.5 hrs. but once you've cleared passport control and immigration at Sheffield :lol: I'd allow at least 5 hrs, the traffic around the M25 can be horrendous, and I can't see how you could by-pass the M25 easily coming from Sheffield.

Andy you can do it in that sort of time, but now it's not about miles, it's not about traffic. M25 can be easy going. Or it can be shut. What can you do.

Chris

As said above, if all goes well you'll be fine.

However since you're asking the question this far in advance, I'm assuming you're looking for options if things are not "fine". :)

A Monday morning in term time is going to be pretty hectic on that portion of the M25 (or anywhere in London for that matter) - roadworks and all. Do you have an option to stay the night closer to Dover, ideally the southern side of the M25? If not, I'd come done very early and then have a long, lesuirely "brunch break" near Dover.

What time is the last ferry you'd like to catch? I'm assuming that this is around Midday. If that's not the case and you have all day, then just plan the journey so you get to the M25 after 10am, then the rush hour traffic will have mostly cleared.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you are coming down the M1 there are a few long 50mph stretches.
I always go anti clockwise on the M25, it adds 20 odd miles but is generally a better option.
M25 J14 for Heathrow is a dodgy spot and the next one is the run from J9 to J7 as it then goes from 4 lanes to 3.

If you want a better route than the M1, go across country at J19 and aim for the M40 south. Very little difference mileage wise but can be a lot quicker.

I did the same trip in my missus skoda and it took around 5 hours without breaking the speed limit and contending with congestion :thumbup:

chadr said:
What time is the last ferry you'd like to catch? I'm assuming that this is around Midday.

yes - about that time of day, so that we can get a few hours driving in france once across.

Don't know if you have one already but I have both the maps for europe for tomtom one/rider and a map book of the area if you need it.

Watch out around Dartford bridge on your way south its a major bottle neck and a PITA if you are cutting things fine :evil:

It give it plenty of time, say 6 hour, once you've cleared the M25 and you know you're gonna be ok, stop and and have a good fill up of pie and peas, before you have to eat frogs legs, escargot, coissants and stella are twats !

Nick.

cheers Ecoman - i have the europe maps already.

Just checking :thumbup:

I bought the map book after getting to france and then realising that the software on my satnav SD card was corrupt. Had to reload it all in the hotel room that evening :roll:

Back