Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How To Lose Business and Alienate Toyota Owners

Jacob100

Supporter
Well, I won’t be calling this valeting outfit again.

It’s not so much the fact that he was hungover and cancelled by text an hour before he was due to start work.

9566E688-2385-46E8-BF72-8F266FAB209F.jpeg

It wasn’t because he went on to turn the whole thing back on me. I could have lived with that.

Oh, no. It was THIS:

1726BB29-9AA7-42C5-9FF1-29C09EC11E77.jpeg

It really annoys me if people call me ‘Pal’. Firstly you have to know me for some time to be considered a pal, secondly, it has undertones of aggression ‘you lookin at me pal’ that sort of thing. Thirdly it’s no way to talk to a customer, even one of many many years standing.
Cancel by text= cowards way and not good business.
Where’s the apology?

No apologies. That was the end of the conversation. Absolutely pathetic.

It did really annoy me because the boot smells like a cheese shop after our last camping trip and everywhere is fully booked until Christmas. Luckily I’ve managed to book it in to a proper business tomorrow but it means cancelling all weekend plans.

Sad case in todays society unfortunately Jacob. Self servicing un in-touch with no courtesy, respect and ability to put the other first.

Encountering these behaviour practices in daily life its truly a hard reality and yet troublesome unfortuantly true to bare.

Only thing left is what we learn out of it to better avoid this practices.

Being called Pal by anyone in any type of public services is a pet hate of mine, a spotty faced kid just out of school made that mistake with me in a Nationwide branch, I bet he never did it again with another customer after my response!
In your case Jacob I thought your response was quite restrained.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
‘Pal’ and ‘bud’ seem to be the two main male-to-male terms of endearment up here. I’m not a fan of either.

The young chap who runs my favourite sandwich bar in Sheffield still calls me ‘love’ from time to time. I suspect he’s part of a dying breed.

Well Controlled Jacob.. My favourite is when someone turns up at the Marina looking for the office or someone, And they just wind their window down and whistle me like im a fucking Dog.. Shouting 'I say, Oi! you mate'.. From the comfort of their Audi or Range Rover.. I love ignoring them till they get their fat arses out of their vehicles... Normally they come over saying 'Didn't you hear me calling'... Yeh! I heard Ya!...:icon-biggrin: .From the title I thought you had been to a main Toyota dealer:lol:

Last edited:
So then JAKE you either resemble a can of Dog Food or a of bottle of Beer so me pal mate bestist bud watcha gonna do now

So then JAKE you either resemble a can of Dog Food or a of bottle of Beer so me pal mate bestist bud watcha gonna do now

Pub, boss. Have a walk and a pint and forget all about cars for a day or two. That’s what I’ll be doing.

I work in retail, have done since I was at school, and I echo all the above remarks, I show people, all people, young, old, male, female, and children RESPECT, and if someone were to whistle at me, well, up to now no one has, but I really understand the above sentiments, who do these people think they are? I had an experience once whist on holiday, we were in a Restuarant and one of our party , an elderly person tried to attract the attention of the waiter, who was doing a great job up to then, they said ” Ok! Oi! You! Do think we could get more drinks?” , ( we had only just finished our first drink and because we were 8 people the first litre of sangria didn’t go far) well, I didn’t plan to rebuke this old person, it just flowed out like a waterfall, but I wasn’t rude, I said that he was a working man, at work... no need to be abusive to him, after all, we are working class, no better than anyone else, ( well, a bit more than that) and that I was embarrassed by their behaviour, and I was promptly told off for “ having a go” at this elderly person, I stood my ground, and I said if people can’t behave themselves I’m off, it went quiet, and after a little while everything resumed.
I thought a reply like , “ I’m a skilled trained worker and I only respond to courteous requests, please don’t confuse me with your sheepdog” then “ shall we start again?”
Best regards to all, Bill Westley

‘Pal’ and ‘bud’ seem to be the two main male-to-male terms of endearment up here. I’m not a fan of either.

The young chap who runs my favourite sandwich bar in Sheffield still calls me ‘love’ from time to time. I suspect he’s part of a dying breed.

Yep the term "luv" or "old luv" used to be the term of endearment for chaps meeting in Sheffield, mainly from the steel making side. I've been doing deliveries in Sheffield for more than 40 years and seen it decline as time has gone on.

‘Pal’ and ‘bud’ seem to be the two main male-to-male terms of endearment up here.

If I go to anywhere retail and get called "pal" I just walk straight back out. The last landlord of the local called me that first time we met but I wanted a drink so I told him straight, " call me what you like, just not pal". We got on fine after that but I had to keep going back every night just to see if I could catch him out but never did.

I was waiting for your take on it, Andy. Based on a quick tour of the pubs around Kelham Island tonight the term these days is ‘chief’. Just give up.

People these days assume because you are working they can talk to you how the fuck they like, as though because they are the customer they are your lord and master and you’re their serf, believe me, it’s even worse in public services.
‘I pay your fucking wages!’
‘No you don’t, you’re on benefits you prick!’

On building sites here strangers usually call you Jefe - boss , white is ok in my book.Waiters generally say Caballero or Señor.On walking into a small bar or shop , the doctors surgery or similar it's custom to greet the whole place with a buenas días ó buenas tardes .It is dying out a bit but still it's appreciated.Going to do a job in Halifax in the 80s I was warned that workmates would call you love .I've worked in sales & learnt to make apologies instead of excuses.Saying "it's my fault , I made a mistake" can salvage some pretty bad mess ups.

I was waiting for your take on it, Andy. Based on a quick tour of the pubs around Kelham Island tonight the term these days is ‘chief’. Just give up.

Oh well, thats new Sheffield for you Jacob. Obviously "Chief" is the new "Luv".

Regional accents and dialects have always had different ways of addressing people which can sometimes be taken as aggressive or offensive by those not familiar with the terms. People in service industries, dealing with the public everyday (me included) often run this risk. I’d never use “Pal”, it’s just too stand offish bordering on aggressive. Being born and bred in Sheffield, luv and duck roll off the tongue regularly but, on first contact, a more formal, professional approach is always best, then, when you have a feel for the customer, some familiarity may be OK.
“Hello, is that Mrs xxxxx, it’s the service engineer, I’ll be with you in 10 minutes”. Then, when a cup of tea is offered, “ Taa duck” :icon-biggrin:

Back