Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How To Lose Business and Alienate Toyota Owners

When i ring a customer up to say ill be there in half an hour or whatever i call them by whatever imformation i've been given, as long as i can pronounce the name but as soon as i get there its, "ello mate"

I teach managers how to be better at soft skills.

Part of this includes a session on admitting it when you're wrong. There's three key steps; but firstly make the admission as early as possible. The steps are

Regret
Reason and
Remedy

Apologising and regret is not the same as simply saying sorry. You have to mean it. Reason is not the same as an excuse; it needs to be an explanation that the person would be empathetic to. You have to get them to understand that you can see THEIR point of view.

Remedy needs to fulfil the person's needs. That's a section in itself. It's a bit like a hostage negotiation, you have to find out what they'd like to happen then work toward that if you can't give them all of that straight away.
The offer needs to be something that's soon and certain. So saying, sorry, I'll tell you what I'll give you a voucher for 10% off your next purchase just doesn't work for people. You have to give them something there and then.

The second you accept something delayed and uncertain, you'll never seen them again!

I tried to treat people who I did work for, poor or rich, with respect and patience, did my best with allowances for stress etc., apologising if appropriate, but no forelock tugging.
One day I agreed to do a job which involved loading up from storage and delivering to a mews house in Chelsea. Amongst the stuff was a large, iron framed upright piano, not that heavy or awkward, but still a bit of a lump. After getting all the normal stuff in, it came to the piano. I explained carefully to the somewhat well heeled customer that it would not go up the stairs as he wanted, they were narrow with a tight turn on them and I knew from experience it wouldn’t go however much up ending and juggling took place and the upstairs windows were too small for a hoist job even with frames out. He said he’d measured it all up, got rather superior about things, called me mate and insisted on us trying. It must have been a bit inconvenient having a piano firmly wedged (we did give it an extra shove or two to be sure) halfway up his staircase after I had got accounts settled and left him to it.

I tried to treat people who I did work for, poor or rich, with respect and patience, did my best with allowances for stress etc., apologising if appropriate, but no forelock tugging.
One day I agreed to do a job which involved loading up from storage and delivering to a mews house in Chelsea. Amongst the stuff was a large, iron framed upright piano, not that heavy or awkward, but still a bit of a lump. After getting all the normal stuff in, it came to the piano. I explained carefully to the somewhat well heeled customer that it would not go up the stairs as he wanted, they were narrow with a tight turn on them and I knew from experience it wouldn’t go however much up ending and juggling took place and the upstairs windows were too small for a hoist job even with frames out. He said he’d measured it all up, got rather superior about things, called me mate and insisted on us trying. It must have been a bit inconvenient having a piano firmly wedged (we did give it an extra shove or two to be sure) halfway up his staircase after I had got accounts settled and left him to it.
“Right said Fred, give a shout to Charlie…”

I’d love to have been a fly on the wall. :)

The heaviest piano I handled was a Steinway D concert grand, best part of ½ a ton and 9ft long. Delivery was to a first floor flat in Paris, several big French blokes with leather straps and a wide staircase made that one a breeze. Still in tune when back on its legs, beautiful instrument.

Regional accents and dialects have always had different ways of addressing people which can sometimes be taken as aggressive or offensive by those not familiar with the terms. People in service industries, dealing with the public everyday (me included) often run this risk. I’d never use “Pal”, it’s just too stand offish bordering on aggressive. Being born and bred in Sheffield, luv and duck roll off the tongue regularly but, on first contact, a more formal, professional approach is always best, then, when you have a feel for the customer, some familiarity may be OK.
“Hello, is that Mrs xxxxx, it’s the service engineer, I’ll be with you in 10 minutes”. Then, when a cup of tea is offered, “ Taa duck” :icon-biggrin:
yep, totally agree, Pal is a very passive aggressive term. I was brought up in Sheffield so am well used to those terms, but my parents are from doon sooth and always found the Yorkshire familiarity a bit much.
I do much the same as you at work.
I usually use formal to start with (Mr xxx) and the patient will correct you if they want to be called something else.
Some people, particularly professional people find it quite offensive for someone they don't know to be using first names or terms of endearment. Using terms like 'love' and 'dear' are actively discouraged in healthcare because it's really quite demeaning for a teenager or other young person to be talking to a pensioner they don't know that way. It makes me cringe when I hear it.
For a touch of the informal at work I'll use 'Boss' or doctor for someone senior to me, mate or a name for someone equivalent grade and below.
It does vary though depending on circumstance, when I was truck driving talking to farmers I would be less formal, likewise when I was a sparky but it depended on the customer. You have to read the cues to see whats appropriate, which you can't do online so always best to be overly formal at first.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If I am ever called Pal,Matt or Matty on first meeting my back is up.Only long long time friends can call me by the middle one but still not the other two.

Alright my Duck'

Me Duck used to be common in Leicester but it's been a long time since I've been there.I had mates from up north that would call someone Gadge if they didn't know their name , also used by Romany friends & family.

Pedders_Logo_222x99.png 4x4Obsession.jpg 300x100_blue.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Atom Detailing in Sheffield did a thorough (and courteous) job on Saturday, stripping the boot to get rid of nasty smells, clearing out two decades’ worth of detritus and generally giving the Cruiser a bit of a Christmas clean.

A739866E-FEA4-45EC-99C4-BEECD7637CDF.jpeg

C4EBAE5D-6DF4-48E1-B7FF-FA9C789E4915.jpeg

Atom Detailing in Sheffield did a thorough (and courteous) job on Saturday, stripping the boot to get rid of nasty smells, clearing out two decades’ worth of detritus and generally giving the Cruiser a bit of a Christmas clean.

View attachment 152403

View attachment 152402
Nice Looking 100 You got Jacob, Maybe the other Guy was suppose to let you Down. Look how it Gleams Now!. Karma! Mate Karma!

Last edited:
If I am ever called Pal,Matt or Matty on first meeting my back is up.Only long long time friends can call me by the middle one but still not the other two.
That's interesting Matthew, I always assume people would want to be called by a nick name.. My name is Michael and I Bloody hate it, I have the opposite reaction to you, If anyone calls me Michael Im instantly annoyed.. Its Higgy .. I don't like Mick or Mike.... It is interesting how people react to certain Names.. Even in social circles My Missus introduces me to people as Higgy. And I don't ever remember anyone asking me what it means or whats my real name etc!.. An interesting Topic..

Nice Looking 100 You got Jacob, Maybe the other Guy was suppose to let you Down. Look how it Gleams Now!. Karma! Mate Karma!

Thanks Higgy. Yes, it scrubbed up nicely for what it is, but that was a bit like a quick Botox in comparison to the double bypass needed to get rid of the stench of sour milk.

There’ll always be the old surname linked nicknames of course. “Chalky”White, “Dusty” Miller, “Knobby” Clark, (not sure how that one came about). There used to be a guy worked at our place who everyone called “Shell”. When I asked why, it was short for Shelley as his surname was Winters!

There’ll always be the old surname linked nicknames of course. “Chalky”White, “Dusty” Miller, “Knobby” Clark, (not sure how that one came about). There used to be a guy worked at our place who everyone called “Shell”. When I asked why, it was short for Shelley as his surname was Winters!
According to Google, Clerks in the city of London use to wear a Nobby hat, A type of bowler hat, It relates to a type of person of wealth and social standing. So the Nobby clerks of London ensured that anyone with the name Clarke/Clark went by the name of Nobby.. Names and spellings change over the tears , so Nobby becomes Knobby, Clark/ Clarke/ Clerk. etc etc:think:

Back