Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How-To Video DIY Spindle bearing greasing tool w/o touching wheel bearing preload

LuckyStrike

Country Flag
united_states
Hey guys,
I made a simple DIY tool that you can make for under $3 USD to grease your spindle bearings without messing with the wheel bearing lock nut, lock washer, or wheel bearing pre-load. This is great for annual services between wheel bearing repacks. The video is linked down below and it covers the entire process. The DIY tool lubricates the spindle bearing exactly the same as the slee tool besides the wheel bearing jam nut part. If you have any questions / comments let me know. Hope this helps you guys out.

Neat little tool. Thanks for sharing. :)

Nice one Lucky, you might have encouraged a few to get some fresh grease in there :thumbup:

Nice tool. I didn't get what kind of 1 inch cap he used.
Anyhow, the hub comes with its own spindle greasing tool built in, no need to take off the drive flange even.

A minor point but that looked like moly grease being used. I thought moly should't be used for wheel bearings but plain lithium based grease instead or have I been using the wrong stuff?

Thank you for the kind words everyone.

I used a 1" PVC cap - slip joint style. Anything with an inner diameter of 1.290" (32.77mm) or slightly larger will work on american 100 series CV axles - you may want to measure the cv and make sure they are the same. You have a good mm or two larger diameter of play as the cap seals against the spindle itself. The 1" PVC cap was perfect with an inner diameter of 1.320ish.

The grease is incorrect, i had moly grease in my gun and thought about changing it over until i opened it. I decided right there to have separate grease guns for different greases. I am changing the wheel bearings a week after i shot the video and will re-grease everything with the correct stuff.

US spec 100 series cruisers dont have front locking hubs - not sure if the world spec ones are different. Were full time 4wd - US spec hubs dont have a greasing port, unless I am missing something.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't see how this will grease the wheel bearings?

Or am I missing something

I don't see how this will grease the wheel bearings?

Or am I missing something

Keep up Stu...

The opening line of the OP was:

"I made a simple DIY tool that you can make for under $3 USD to grease your spindle bearings without messing with the wheel bearing lock nut, lock washer, or wheel bearing pre-load."

:lol:

It's usually me... :icon-rolleyes:

So the one inside the hub. sorry being thick yet again....

I think it's because I was thinking of something to do the wb I must have put 2 and 2 together and ended with 6.

I too was a bit slow on the uptake with this just because of a difference in terms across the pond (or maybe just me). It's the needle roller bearings where on the 80 they just had bronze bushes before the upgrade.

On the grease front, on the 80 where the CV is enclosed in the knuckle which is full of moly grease, isn't it the moly grease that is used in the needle roller bearings as I can't see how the two could be kept separate if using lithium grease. Or is it that these being a kind of hybrid where they have been upgraded, and don't take the loading the wheel bearings do, should be ok with the moly?

This is a hundred rich.

As you maybe aware not everyone is lucky enough to have a mighty 80 to hand. they have to get the 2nd best that's available

@Lucky, have you considered using the built in spindle greasing tool? It's less mess and a lot less work.

I'm talking about using the cavity at the back of the hub. If you just take off the C-clip and push the stub in, you reveal the brass bush covering the needle bearing (As ssen in your video). Any grease you put aroud the shaft next to that brass, will be forced into the bearing when you put the CV shaft back in place; because the oil seal seals well before the void is closed, acting as a pump for you. There is just no other way for the grease to go (if the oil seal seals).

Uhu, honestly I intended to grease the spindle bearings exactly as you stated, and I even ordered a grease needle for this purpose. I read a few threads describing that method and quite a few people chimed in that they "didn't like" that method or they felt more "comfortable" greasing it like the Slee tool does. I felt that I could make a tool just like the slee one without the draw backs of removing the lock nut and messing with the wheel bearing preload (not to mention it's spendy). After a few minutes at a plumbing store to see if i could make something work that i walked away with this setup. The great thing is its accessible to everyone.

Even though it was reassuring to see the grease come out thru the axle using the tool - i didn't really like this method. I felt it put in a ton of extra grease and its excessive. I didnt mind it because i have no idea the last time the needle bearing was greased and this put in some reserve. But in the future I will be using the needle approach for my annual re-greasing upkeep.

As far as less mess and less work eh they're about the same from my point of view... 6 or 1/2 dozen...

Last edited:
Back