Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ht leads on lpg

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all

Those who run on lpg, have you upgraded your ht leads at all? I recall that ignition is a big thing to have "perfect" when running on gas, heard many stories about needing to upgrade to Magnecor leads from various different sources. There's a set on the 'bay but at £160 odd quid they are damned expensive. Just wondering about your collective thoughts. I may well have traced my misfire to only when on gas, have cleaned the cap and arm which looked very good indeed and no signs of tracking. No idea how to "test" the leads, which are stock Mr T (and look awfully thin!!!).
Thanks (I know you guys will know more than me, which wouldn't be difficult....)

I "upgraded" to Magnecor leads a while ago; the truck used to run fine on the original OEM leads but the covers were starting to get worn and at around 15 years old, were probably past their best. I'd read a lot of good things about the Magnecor leads, especially on Pradopoint etc. so decided to give them a try.

I did had an issue with the Magnecor fittings and raised it with them and was very impressed with their customer service - I had a call back from the company MD himself and he personally reassured me and went through the fitting etc.

I bought my mine set from these guys http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/magnecor-kv85-ignition-leads/toyota/landcruiser.html and was pleased with their service.

The OEM leads (for the 5VZ-FE at least) are around £80 inc the Club discount, so prices are comparable. If I was buying again I would probably stick with OEM.

P.S. The Magnecor leads are available in different "strengths" i.e. 7mm, 8mm etc.

This was my thread on the subject at the time;

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...s-are-they-worth-the-extra?highlight=magnecor

I've mailed Magnecor, they are back to work tomorrow so we will see what they say :)

The magnecors are quite expensive even at trade price.
Can anyone explain how to test them as I don't want to spend a significant sum on a "replace and see" attempt to solve as the misfire is still there.

There isn't a definitive test as such but the main performance related problem is the insulation breaking down and the spark taking the easiest route to earth.
On a cold and damp horrible night, in pitch blackness lift the bonnet and get someone to start the engine from cold.
You're looking for; fireworks, crackling, blue haze, yellow flashes. Basically any light whatsoever. Also listen out for a distinct ticking like a metronome that speeds up when the engine is revved. Any of that is ht leads breaking down.
Performance wise Toyota leads are one of the few that are equal to magnecore.
Ignition tips, bypass any resistor in the rotor arm if it has one, use iridium plugs at .8mm or reduce standard plug gap to .6mm

Back