Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hub Plugs

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
had the knuckles rebuilt. Noticed there are big plugs in the hub with square profile to undo them and do them up.
But what are they for?
Some say that you can squirt more grease in them, is that right?

Yes Ben they are for greasing. Mine are drilled through with grease nipples fitted - makes it easier than undoing the squares.

Regards,

Rodger

Thanks Roger. Do you fill them entirely or a measured amount periodically?

I think you will find when you take the plug out a grease gun end fits just right. You can get an adapter to fit a grease nipple one side and the swivel housing the other.
I greased mine on the 80 I had every 4.5K when I greased the front prop. One thing to bear in mind is that the grease drops onto the CV joint and this is what distributes it in line with the swivel bearings. On a 60 the CV's rarely turn as it is in 2WD most of the time with the front hubs unlocked.

Thanks Andy, so not an immediate worry but something to keep an eye on particularly if using 4WD often

I grease my 40 every 2 months (monthly during summer) as tracks that lead to friends farms and the off-roading we do in the desert means loads of sharp sand and dust gets around underneath and we always power wash the underside so I do grease more often than is perhaps needed.
On the hubs I grease until I feel a change in resistance - usually a 2 or 3 pumps.
Hope that helps

Regards,
Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is there a known supplier of the plugs with grease nipples?

SKF and Dormer for a drill and tap, and eBay for a grease nipple or two? :)

An old one I drilled out years ago and what I use now.

IMG_0612.JPG

Looks like a far easier and neater solution Andy. What are the thread sizes of the reducer?

Don't know Rich, I just took the plug to our local hydraulic pipe place and asked for a reducer the same thread and a grease nipple to fit, and bought several. Easy as that.

Looks great Andy. If you ever want to sell them, put me down for two please.

As above Ben, they are readily available but be aware the CV's must be turning to distribute the grease to the swivel bearings.

Did a bit of 4wd today which was unusual. Only on gravel though, a quick detour on the way to work to see the river dart in spate

No worries Andy, will do the same. The square top got quite mashed getting it off so new plugs will be found

It's tapered, looks pretty fine, could be 3/8 NPT but that's a very wild guess.

Back