Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hurricane Ophelia

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
Don't know if it's making UK news, but we're going to get battered by Hurricane Ophelia here tomorrow. It's still a Cat.3 storm, likely the strongest system to hit Ireland in 50 years, also the furthest east a Hurricane has ever made it across the Atlantic.

This is not sensational red top media stuff, but genuine serious conditions. (I'm a geography teacher for a living, so watching very closely)

FB_IMG_1508091639939.jpg

Typical that it's the one day the cruiser is off the road with a dead alternator... stuck driving a focus to collect the new one.

Wow, that doesn't look good at all Bob.

Let's hope the cruiser stays indoors while all the rubbish is flying about....

Looks nasty, we were camped on Achill island last autumn , I would not like to be camped there now !?

Afraid not this time Shayne... been watching the data closely... sustained 50-55mph averages, and up to 95 mph gusts.. All public sector services here closed tomorrow, except emergency services. Red warning for entire country by national weather service..

Due to hit the south coast by 6 a.m intensity not reaching across the Irish sea fully.

I'm due to be working, outside, very close to Woolacombe sea front, only the pitch and putt and the beach between me and the Atlantic :eek::eek:
Can see an early day coming on

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We're on an amber warning up north. I find a little strange that the whole republic is on red and the north only on amber.
The metoffice recons at 16:00 we will get 31mphs winds with gusts up to 60mph, the BBC says it starts around 13:00 with 40mph gusts.
Stay safe down south.

Hi hamba, It's down to the reduction in intensity once it makes landfall, systems like this take energy from warm water.. I'm in the southeast and we're fairly well prepared, but power cuts are likely as we are in quite a rural area.

That makes sense, there is also a little hill between us that I guess helps us out up north, I'm still going to take it easy tomorrow.

Good luck and give us a shout if you require any help after it settled.

Some here are crying wolf and giving out about over-reaction, for example our national public bus service has cancelled services for a number of hours, but the same people would be shouting from the rooftops if there was a death related to a public service tomorrow. 90mph gusts are not to be messed with.

That makes sense, there is also a little hill between us that I guess helps us out up north, I'm still going to take it easy tomorrow.

Good luck and give us a shout if you require any help after it settled.

Cheers mate, a very kind offer. I reckon I'll be on duty for the cleanup around here with the chainsaw and tractor getting plenty of work

Just got confirmation that the school is closed tomorrow

Reactions: Bob
169km/h just recorded at fastnet lighthouse... that's 105mph.. can't sell newspapers today... they'll all be blown away!

IMG_2733.JPG
Not windy here, but very warm, and never seen 10am look so dark!

Same darkness, calm and strange warmth near the coast in Ceredigion too at about 9 am. Wind picking up here now with some pretty hefty gusts.

I think the pubs are the only ones left open now! Lots of businesses closed around here. One local garage owner staying open, sent all his staff home, and he's staying on to supply hot water, batteries etc for people with power out.

Despite the usual Irish humour, and the Father Ted style outlook, it's the first time I've seen something like this actually taken seriously and prepared for in this country.

Back