Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hybrid FT and FTE engine .

Grimbo

Country Flag
great_britain
Driving along today and the mind starts to wander...
I would love to put an FTE into my 80 but lots of messing with wiring etc ..... I have more than enough other projects in bits ....
So , has anyone built a hybrid FT/FTE engine ?
Thoughts are the FTE block is stronger than the FT and has a more rigid crank / pistons so would be a good basis ...
If we're going to stick with mechanical injection then the FT head has probably got to be used ? as has the FIP although I reckon the FTE double rocker covers and exhaust manifold and turbo would be worth fitting ( obviously the non VVT one ) .... maybe the FTE inlet manifold ? FTE injectors ? and bigger front mount intercooler
Aim would be to get 250-270 odd BHP and commensurate increase in torque .
I know the marine FT is capable of 350 hp plus but that's boat hp ...
I have my eye on a poss early 100 as a donor if it's the right price but at 400k miles would need an engine refresh hence the thought of the mechanical route..

I always thought that if you fit the inner gear case from an ft with the ft fuel pump onto the fte then youre away... no need I thought to change the injectors as they're non electrical... just the same as converting a 1kzte to a manual fueling, nice thing to do... saw fte for sale for £ 2800 on ebay!

the extra hp potential with the 1hdfte is mostly down to the fact its has a electronically controlled IP. so by fitting the manual pump of the ft you will be losing this. you will have to do your own research, but iirc the ft pump will fit to the fte timing gears and cover with some modification. or use the ft timing gears and cover on the fte. you will also need to use the ft vacuum pump as whilst the same unit, the gear is cut in the opposite direction. you will also need to use your ft injectors as the fte injectors run at a higher pressure.

yes, the fte is a little stronger than the ft with improved cooling and air flow and a little more mpg, but this is stronger than an already very strong engine with no inherent faults, and is very simple and runs off one wire. with a G turbo or the like, a intercooler and if you wanted to go further, uprated injectors and pump, i think you would have a very big smile on your face..
the fte is also a little quieter, from what i have seen a lot of this comes from the added insulation to the rocker cover and ip etc.

you can actually drop a fte head onto a ft block. you can also change out the fte head internals into a ft head and vice versa.

imo if you want to do the fte conversion for higher HP and torque, do the whole thing. or if for example you need a replacement head/block for your ft and its easier to get a cheaper lower mileage fte head/block then go for it.

I always thought that if you fit the inner gear case from an ft with the ft fuel pump onto the fte then youre away... no need I thought to change the injectors as they're non electrical... just the same as converting a 1kzte to a manual fueling, nice thing to do... saw fte for sale for £ 2800 on ebay!
That was kinda my thoughts....swap FIPs and play with the fueling .... I presume an FTE's extra hp comes from the ability to alter fueling and avoid clouds of black smoke from low revs while having a greater volume as boost is reached

I always thought fitting the 2UZ-FE (petrol V8) from the 100 series into an 80 would be a good contender although I've never heard of one being done. Nice motor that V8.

the extra hp potential with the 1hdfte is mostly down to the fact its has a electronically controlled IP. so by fitting the manual pump of the ft you will be losing this. you will have to do your own research, but iirc the ft pump will fit to the fte timing gears and cover with some modification. or use the ft timing gears and cover on the fte. you will also need to use the ft vacuum pump as whilst the same unit, the gear is cut in the opposite direction. you will also need to use your ft injectors as the fte injectors run at a higher pressure.

yes, the fte is a little stronger than the ft with improved cooling and air flow and a little more mpg, but this is stronger than an already very strong engine with no inherent faults, and is very simple and runs off one wire. with a G turbo or the like, a intercooler and if you wanted to go further, uprated injectors and pump, i think you would have a very big smile on your face..
the fte is also a little quieter, from what i have seen a lot of this comes from the added insulation to the rocker cover and ip etc.

you can actually drop a fte head onto a ft block. you can also change out the fte head internals into a ft head and vice versa.

imo if you want to do the fte conversion for higher HP and torque, do the whole thing. or if for example you need a replacement head/block for your ft and its easier to get a cheaper lower mileage fte head/block then go for it.

TBH my FT goes very well after playing with the fueling and with a planed 3 inch exhaust and intercooler should be good and has done under 180 k so a good deal less than any donor FTE I will find ....

Idle musings on a boring drive between jobs .... and watching too many videos of FTE converted 80's in Aus with 350hp and 800 -900 ftlb torque of an evening ;-)

Waiting for my target donor 100 to succumb to life as a farm hack and be parked up with terminal rust ;-)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
even with a 3" exhaust, intercooler and pump adjustments your 80 will feel like a new car. spend the money you were going to on the 100 on a new turbo and youll be spending saturday night in maccies car park again..

personally i wouldnt be thinking of replacing a ft with 180000 ks on the clock with anything.

all my opinion of course sourced from my backside..:D

even with a 3" exhaust, intercooler and pump adjustments your 80 will feel like a new car. spend the money you were going to on the 100 on a new turbo and youll be spending saturday night in maccies car park again..

personally i wouldnt be thinking of replacing a ft with 180000 ks on the clock with anything.

all my opinion of course sourced from my backside..:D

Bugger ... I had a miss spent youth ....that and we didn't have a local maccies ....... more like pulling wheelies in the local village hall car park when I were young... ;-)
Progressing to my first car ... a 2 litre petrol hilux with a lift kit and 10x15 tyres...;-) and then an ex traffic police unmarked Rover SD1 Vitesse that I got stopped by the police in on the way home from picking it up.... I'm not sure it was the best choice of car for a 19 year old ;-)

There's also a stand alone ecu and wiring harness for the fte now I think about it.

When I went to bushwacker in Germany the wink boys had a fte in a 45 troopy.. then you can achieve the electronic advantage above the ft fueling setup...

Food for thought :thumbup:

Back