Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HZJ75 or HZJ79 for overland camper?

What would yu choose?

• Total voters
Are there many 70-series pickups for sale over there? I’d have thought they would be a pretty rare sight in Denmark or are you planning to import one?

HZJ79 :
Pros:
Stronger transmission (contrary to your research perhaps)
More legroom and cabin space.
Smoother ride due to the front coil springs.
Cons:
Plagued by the wobbles in the front end suspension and steering which need regular repairs.

HZJ75:
Pros:
No problems in the front end.
Cons: Less legroom and cabin space.
Weaker transmission, which is rougher to shift (but is still full syncro)

12v/24v I can't comment on, as they are all 12v in Australia.

Equal mileage and identical condition, I would go for the HZJ75, mainly to avoid the wobbles in the front end. But let's face it, they're both good.

Have you got a link for the ex-fire service one?

Why not a 78 and put on a pop top? Many more 78s available in Europe

I'd go with the one that is the most robust under the sort of load you are going to place on it. The camper is going to be quite heavy, especially when filled full of stuff/ spares/ water/ diesel/ etc etc. If you're going to travel around the world for a couple of years in it you want the best you can afford. Based on your pro's and con's above (I can't say i know much about them) i'd go with the 79 and stick in the uprated transmission

But to tell the truth i'd go with @Bmonck and get 78 with a pop top. If you haven't already, go and see one in the flesh. They make excellent long term over landing vehicles and easy to put into containers.

Also, if you want to travel the word, buy a LHD so you can do central America and Saudi.

Let us know what you choose.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have driven both for work over the years……
My choice would be the HZJ79, based on larger cabin and coil front end.

+1 for the 79 series. Depending how tall you are, the additional leg room is worth the extra cash. I have a 75 series and have driven it from home to Melbourne (1800km one way) many times. I have than purchased a 78 series which has the same seat rails as a 79 and its a massive difference in the legroom department.
Due to longer rear springs and coils in the front, the ride is much smoother too,
if I was you I would look into a 78 series if you intend to travel long term. With a rooftop conversation you gain a fair bit of room. It also means you can access the to the drivers seat and visa versa in the case of rain or mosquitos and so on.
It also means you could potentially park in normal carparks.
I have a large tool box on the back of my 75, very similar to a lift of camper, I had to get the suspension upgraded and fitted airbags in the springs as well.
Good luck and keep us posted.

79 for the bigger cab so you have a bit more space to push the seat back.
I would prefer something with 2 seats.

Maybe you should look at a.... dare I say it..... Landrover Defender 130

HZJ 75 has the stronger H55F gearbox while the HZJ 79 has the weaker R151F gearbox.
However the HDJ79 has the even stronger H151/0f box if available to you ...

....NO rust and has always been parked inside.

View attachment 164339

It looks very nice but I think to launch / recover a RIB from a beach rather than a slipway would almost always require it to be reversed into the water due to the shallow'ish slope on the beach.

Hopefully it has always been hosed down well afterwards but check the back end carefully.

Does it come with the flashing lights?
Check the rear chassis, there are usually square rubber plugs in the frame, if driven in sand, it should be ok, but if they get submerged in sea water, you get salt inside the chassis frame. Which you can’t just hose off. So there is most likely rust inside the chassis rails. But that’s easy to check.

Those Falk Trucks were every where when i lived in Danmark.. I have often wondered what they did with the surplus ones, Might be worth finding out what Falk do with them when there no longer needed:think:

Congratulations! Well done, this thing looks epic, roof tent on top and off you go. Looks like it even has a victron power setup in the back.

Have fun with it!

What a nice find. Wish you all the best with the build and your travels. Keep posting as you go along.

Back