Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I have a weird engine problem.. need some ideas please.

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
I have a 12v 80 series. Std motor, but has an aftermarket alarm and immobiliser.

Driving it today and engine under load, on changing from 1st - 2nd gear, the engine died for a split sec and I mean a split sec. Didn't realise this at first, just thought it was a bad gear change... well it happened a couple more times... but then whilst under full load in 3rd gear climbing a hill.... the motor cut in and out several times, each time for a couple of seconds.

It then did so whilst coasting down hill.

The best description, is if this was a petrol truck, It's as if a switch is turned on and off killing the ignition.

There are no dash lights that come on.

To be honest I cannot tell if the motor stops, or I'm just losing drive for a few seconds. If I press the accelerator the is no response for a couple of seconds then full throttle!!!

Very weird , never experienced this with a diesel before.

Full fuel, no other issues.

Any ideas chaps?

Update

Update:

Whipped of the old fuel filter, and although it was dirty, certainly no diesel bug or blockages/crud in evidence.
Installed new filter and driven truck today in all conditions.... no recurrence of the problem. Lets hope it was the filter and not that immobiliser...

Might just have the whole thing taken out, give me peace of mind in the bush!

As an aside, the only spare filter I had was a Blue point one and there is a marked difference in the filtering elements between that and the genuine Toyota one I removed. Will run it for a bit then put a genuine article in I think.

Exactly same symptoms as my 120 and 150. Was also blocked filter related.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Drop me a line if you need one in a hurry Laz, I have a Toyota one in the box.
Are you still in Cape Town? Ping me if you are, I just got back from a week in Durban..

I had exactly the same problem and it was a loose earth cable. The cable was loose in the lug. It feels very harsh when it happens and the first time had me quite worried. Mine would do it once or sometimes three or four times in quick succession.The changing of gears can make the engine move and disturb a faulty earth. You can check all earth straps from batt to chassis and body. If it does it all the time you can hook up temp jumper leads to bypass earth cables and diagnose quite quickly. That's what I did and it worked well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I should of mentioned that if it is a bad earth similar to my experience, along with losing ign power for a split second, I also lost my lights which was a bit sketchy at best. Hope you get it sorted.

I have been pondering this problem as I'm not too happy that I found the solution by just changing the fuel filter.

Could it possibly be the fuel cut-off solenoid thats faulty? Anyone had this problem before?

Try a separate feed to the cut off solenoid. Or wire a temp bulb into the original feed to the solenoid that you can see in the cab and see if it blinks when you get the miss. OK I'll get my coat:?.

Back