Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I have found a donor truck for spare stuff but it doesn't have a front drive prop shaft....

Matt Vee

I have found a manual transmission donor truck for spare stuff but it doesn't have a front drive prop shaft, it's got an MOT but is going for spares or repair. Can one drive long distances without the front prop shaft? If not can I do anything to make this happen (other than taking a prop shaft with me) or am I going to have to take a trailer?
Which also got me thinking about the "All wheel drive/full time 4wd" status of these trucks, what is the actual deal with that? Is the centre diff gonna cause me problems with driving this thing home without a front propshaft?

it won't matter remove a prop and you just have two wheels freewheeling causing no harm .

No issues I can see you'd need to lock the centre diff though. No idea if this would pose an issue at MOT time though

As Shayne say's, Will be fine, I drove my old 3.1 Trooper around for about a year with no Front prop.....

Ah sweet, it won't be getting a new MOT if I pick it up, I literally want it to use for spares and designing/making bumpers and sliders and skid plates and shit.
So I would have to put it in "HL" to drive it home? Is this because the center diff would get "confused" and think the front wheels have no traction? I don't actually know how the AWD bit works in one of these trucks.

Thanks for the replies dudes :)

Yes in HL that will lock the centre diff. Not got ABS or TC on mine but since your wheels will be turning hopefully it will think all is ok. But if you're in doubt turn it off if you have a button to do so.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have found a manual transmission donor truck for spare stuff but it doesn't have a front drive prop shaft,
Just asking but if you don't the seats i am after a N/S Front seat as mine is damage will pay for seat
What colour are they?

Hi is the gearbox and transfer box for sale and wot cost just a thought thanks Tony.

I'm not exactly sure how the transfer box does its magic but the 90 series is permanent 4x4 - unless you remove a propshaft . It does of course allow slip for better traction while cornering - unless you lock the diffs . Driving on the road with your diffs locked and both props in place will cause wind up and likely damage something . Depending on what prop you remove you will have only 2 wheel drive front or rear and the undriven wheels will just roll along like a trailer does .

As Shayne say's, Will be fine, I drove my old 3.1 Trooper around for about a year with no Front prop.....

Was the handling any different? like any surprises in the wet on corners and things like that?

To the people wanting stuff, I havn't even been over to see it yet, so can't tell you sorry. I won't want the seats for sure but things like gearbox/trans and stuff is why I want it, so, sorry, I wont be parting with any of the stuff that makes it go, or the switches and other pain in the ass things to find.

4wd is always better than 2wd but it won't matter to you just to get it home .

Yah I concur, just wondering if there's any major over steer or understeer, the country lanes round here are really ropey and emergency maneuvers are a given pretty much on most journeys, lol

Mines a swb and with a prop removed front or rear it just doesn't feel as planted but your driving style adjusts accordingly and almost subconsciously .

Was the handling any different? like any surprises in the wet on corners and things like that?

To the people wanting stuff, I havn't even been over to see it yet, so can't tell you sorry. I won't want the seats for sure but things like gearbox/trans and stuff is why I want it, so, sorry, I wont be parting with any of the stuff that makes it go, or the switches and other pain in the ass things to find.
Never noticed any Difference.... Until i pulled into a Field Towing the Diesel Bowser...

I drove around 1000km fully loaded back from Alps to Aberdeen with no front prop, noticed no difference
That’s included driving on tracks and roads with many hairpin bends and also motorways

My transfer case recently started clunking and removed the front prop shaft and drove it daily with HL until I bought a daily car till it’s fixed,

mines on mud tyres and in the wet on a round about it likes to kick out but it wascompletely fine otherwise

Back