Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I KNEW IT WOULDNT BE LONG...WHHHYY!!

Yeh! If you all just hang on a 'mo'. Il nip to the bank and get a loan and add all these quirky extras. Just to bring it up to a level it should be at.... Irrespective of its age and mileage. My 22yr old Colorado with 275,000 on the clock didn't need a re map, or wrapping in cotton wool just to make it GO.. END.. PS Does anyone know if the turbo step motor is independent of the turbo.. or is it part of the whole unit?:thumbup:

i think the error you made was buying the early year production model.

Mine is a 2009, basically last year of production, and the early issues of d4d corrected.
On top of that for the landcruiser Toyota makes incremental small changes even if it is not officially a facelift.
Honestly on the highway mine is more quiet than the new C-HR I have. For sure the road noise is less.
I have no weird noises or creaks even when off-road.
I also know that for the 120 the manual is one of the crappiest gearboxes from Toyota, the auto is fantastic tough.
Mines a end of june 2009 invincible auto and really smooth and quiet and really well made . the ride is as good as any limo . and thats with bf at ko2 tyres at 40 psi .

PS Does anyone know if the turbo step motor is independent of the turbo.. or is it part of the whole unit?:thumbup:

Doesn't look like Toyota do them separately from the turbo, but there are pattern ones out there. I've never dealt with this firm and no idea on quality, but this place has them listed:https://www.turbocharger.uk.com/product_p/actuator_land_cruiser_turbo.htm

p.s, has it thrown up the fault code again ? Not sure if sticky vanes in the turbo could cause this or not.

Think i read this new one offers a top speed of 90mph and it has me thinking if only they would make it bigger , as is it crossed my mind that 50 grand would give a family of 4 a new car each !

Are you taking notes Mr Toyoda :pray:

Max speed and how fast you dare to take it may differ :) 65 is comfortable in mine. Think the new ones have silliness like hill descent control and that funny braking your spinning wheel stuff. Shame they didn't add a diff lock - Jimny with an ARB is pretty unstoppable.

If you want bigger and cheap the Dacia Duster seems to be in every French farmyard this year.

Doesn't look like Toyota do them separately from the turbo, but there are pattern ones out there. I've never dealt with this firm and no idea on quality, but this place has them listed:https://www.turbocharger.uk.com/product_p/actuator_land_cruiser_turbo.htm

p.s, has it thrown up the fault code again ? Not sure if sticky vanes in the turbo could cause this or not.
Thanks a bunch Flint.. Its in my saved list, EM light came on this morning. but not on the way home this afternoon, Annoying it is.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I guess you did me a favour there Joe, The 120 I got does not suffer the same problem and is really quiet but that might be the difference between an 04 and an 05.
I've just taken a guy who is interested in the V6 Collie out for a test drive and thought " why am I selling this, it is so good". Fortunately he didn't say yes so I'm still undecided whether to let it go or not.

My LC was the later engine as in the 05 plates.
Dont get me wrong, it wasn't knackered, didnt burn any oil. it just sounded crap from cold (but im really fussy with engines. and im not the only one, if you have read the 100+ page posts about noisy from cold.
It never did let me down. so wasnt like Higgys. and took me right across france and many more places. I have also listen to a brand new hilux at work and that sounds crap to me too. Im sure with a bit of time and not too much money Higgys 120 will be back to Toyota standard.

My colorado had 180k on the clock but sounded a nice engine. ok not sports car sound but it gave me confidence.
My Touareg also sounds very nice from the get go, does it fill me with confidence? No, too many electronics:grimacing:
thats why i carry round the diagnostic equipment with me for that moment the computer says no.
I also now have that power i wanted but could never get from the D4d. so for me Toyota do need to up the game on the engine front. But i think most of the resources are now being plowed into battery tech.

Also Keep the colorado Andy. for the 3K i sold my colorado for i should of kept it, i could of bought it along to the LC meets and had fun.

My LC was the later engine as in the 05 plates.
Dont get me wrong, it wasn't knackered, didnt burn any oil. it just sounded crap from cold (but im really fussy with engines. and im not the only one, if you have read the 100+ page posts about noisy from cold.
It never did let me down. so wasnt like Higgys. and took me right across france and many more places. I have also listen to a brand new hilux at work and that sounds crap to me too. Im sure with a bit of time and not too much money Higgys 120 will be back to Toyota standard.

My colorado had 180k on the clock but sounded a nice engine. ok not sports car sound but it gave me confidence.
My Touareg also sounds very nice from the get go, does it fill me with confidence? No, too many electronics:grimacing:
thats why i carry round the diagnostic equipment with me for that moment the computer says no.
I also now have that power i wanted but could never get from the D4d. so for me Toyota do need to up the game on the engine front. But i think most of the resources are now being plowed into battery tech.

Also Keep the colorado Andy. for the 3K i sold my colorado for i should of kept it, i could of bought it along to the LC meets and had fun.

Its funny Joe, the D4D Collie was annoyingly noisy till it reached a certain temp then went quiet all of a sudden but in all fairness I loved it. It seemed to have power in abundance and a tendency to willingly rev when passing something with an urgency not associated with such a truck. I was 50/50 whether to keep it but had such a good offer it had to go.
I hadn't driven the V6 for a while having the 120 but the drive last night made me reassess how good it was for what it cost and made me think how good a V6 120 would be.
In Higgys case, I don't really think he knew quite what to look for specifically on a 120 no matter how much advice people gave him and that the majority of 120's are poor to fair and old. I viewed 9 before I got one worthy of the surgical removal of my hard earned, some were vocal like yours, some were rusty like a pier, some were tatty inside, some had full service history unbelievably. Mine has had 4 owners before me with a bit of Toyo and then the last owner did it himself and its faultless.
Maybe with a 120 its got to the stage where its preferable to buy an "enthusiast owned" vehicle who understands it through and through, also maybe with a Colorado too.

I considered the VW/Porsche/ Audi options and I think they are all bombproof in the reliability stakes and for a time an L322 RR but I guess after 21 years have a bit too much Toyota DNA in me.

I must have been lucky than. I bought mine 2 one I saw, maybe 3 weeks before Higgy. They are much more expensive on the continent as welll. Similar model, same year cheaper ones were "For export outside Eu only " , at arroun 11k euro, I got mine for 15 k euro with 294.000 km onboard.
At the test the AC was not working well. fixed by the dealer, the AC compressor replaced with new.
Since than I did about 2000 km with no issues what so ever. Every little button and function works, no creacks, weird sounds, the engine pulls very well.

FINALLY SORTED... Well sorry to drag this old one up again but finally sorted my turbo woes.. After listening to all the quotes from Toyota (3 grand new Turbo, no other option mate) and all the turbo experts saying cant be fixed its a non serviceable/sealed unit... Well it took 15 mins , a neatly filed down spade connector, and a weeny blob of super glue, the hardest part was removing front wheel, I put it all back together. NO engine management light. took it all through the rev range, been driving most of the day, all good, The engine instantly sounds and responds better.... So thanks to Flint, Tony cy, and other members for tips /advice. Its sorted. Result. Many thanks... Now I can get rid..:thumbup:

FINALLY SORTED... Well sorry to drag this old one up again but finally sorted my turbo woes.. After listening to all the quotes from Toyota (3 grand new Turbo, no other option mate) and all the turbo experts saying cant be fixed its a non serviceable/sealed unit... Well it took 15 mins , a neatly filed down spade connector, and a weeny blob of super glue, the hardest part was removing front wheel, I put it all back together. NO engine management light. took it all through the rev range, been driving most of the day, all good, The engine instantly sounds and responds better.... So thanks to Flint, Tony cy, and other members for tips /advice. Its sorted. Result. Many thanks... Now I can get rid..:thumbup:
Fantastic ending in typical LC fashion a 2 pence repair cost . Watch it because now the truck and you will start to bond together , you can get your self a x5 at the same cost or even cheaper than the LC , but they wont be any 2 pence repair jobs , it'll cost big money to put it right when it goes wrong and it will go wrong , that's why there cheap second hand , They are money pits . How did you get on with the air bag light .

Fantastic ending in typical LC fashion a 2 pence repair cost . Watch it because now the truck and you will start to bond together , you can get your self a x5 at the same cost or even cheaper than the LC , but they wont be any 2 pence repair jobs , it'll cost big money to put it right when it goes wrong and it will go wrong , that's why there cheap second hand , They are money pits . How did you get on with the air bag light .
LOL. I was joking about the X5... Air bag is still on but garage are going to clear tomorrow.. They said it was because I fitted a new battery.. now when i think about it, it came on just after .. Didn't think at the time. garage are going to clear turbo code as well..:thumbup:

LOL. I was joking about the X5... Air bag is still on but garage are going to clear tomorrow.. They said it was because I fitted a new battery.. now when i think about it, it came on just after .. Didn't think at the time. garage are going to clear turbo code as well..:thumbup:
Great stuff .

I know this is an old thread but reading through and there was a lot of mention regarding the diagnostic tool. I have always had a good ODBII scanner but my 2000 Colorado doesn't have a ODB socket only a diagnostic point in the engine bay.
IMG_2314.JPG

I've searched everywhere for an ODB but pretty sure there isn't one. Any correcting info welcomed! At least if I'm in the engine bay I'm not out playing with Joe public :mask:

I know this is an old thread but reading through and there was a lot of mention regarding the diagnostic tool. I have always had a good ODBII scanner but my 2000 Colorado doesn't have a ODB socket only a diagnostic point in the engine bay.
View attachment 164345

I've searched everywhere for an ODB but pretty sure there isn't one. Any correcting info welcomed! At least if I'm in the engine bay I'm not out playing with Joe public :mask:

There's an OBD socket under the dashboard to the right of the steering column (on the D4D 90s at least). It's not OBD2 though, but should work with Techstream.

Back