Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

i KNOW NOTHING about CB radio so

I'm on EC channel 22 which is fm I believe and having forgotten to bring the CB instruction book I can't work out how to change from the EC option .
You both need to be on EC not UK as you are using EC radio bands which are different to UK ones.

Most instruction manuals are available on the net.

Mine works with Clives so maybe Chas is still on uk frequency

Mine works with Clives so maybe Chas is still on uk frequency
Could be. Looks like you're in the clear then Shayne. Perhaps you now do know something about CB. :lol:

We managed to get a 3way link eventually! Worked ok for us in a tight is convoy.

I get a lot of crackling sometimes, when not on send or receive. Is there a button to eliminate / reduce that?

It lasts about 20 seconds, then goes, then comes back 5 mins later, again for about 20 seconds...

We are all now on Eu channel 20 , Clive and I can communicate though it isn't great , we can all hear Chas loud and clear and Chas can hear Clive but not me ?

I have a TTI tcb550n CB , Clive an Albrecht AE6110 and we both have the same Sirius 3ft antenna . Not sure what CB Chas has but his Sirius antenna is undoubtedly the daddy compared to ours .

Power compatibility ???

We managed to get a 3way link eventually! Worked ok for us in a tight is convoy.

I get a lot of crackling sometimes, when not on send or receive. Is there a button to eliminate / reduce that?

It lasts about 20 seconds, then goes, then comes back 5 mins later, again for about 20 seconds...
Do you have a squelch control Clive? Sometimes they are a second knob on the volume control. Try altering that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We are all now on Eu channel 20 , Clive and I can communicate though it isn't great , we can all hear Chas loud and clear and Chas can hear Clive but not me ?

I have a TTI tcb550n CB , Clive an Albrecht AE6110 and we both have the same Sirius 3ft antenna . Not sure what CB Chas has but his Sirius antenna is undoubtedly the daddy compared to ours .

Power compatibility ???
I'm just wondering if your problem is squelch related. Maybe Chas has his turned up too far. Or is it that yours is quiet when you transmit? Maybe there is a mic gain control somewhere. Also, when you set the SWR, how did you set it, did you get it close to 1:1?

Chas has a president Johnson cb .

My swr went very low turn off the meter knob .

Last edited:
I can't figure it out, my set up has worked fin on my green laning trips, I will go to Jim at http://www.4x4cb.com/index.cfm to check it over when I can, first of all I have to check out the water in my gearbox . . . . . . don't ask!

Wilson Silverload 001.JPG

Assuming this extra wire is a ground , it gets no mention in the Wilson Silverload Flex instructions other than a pic of it bolted to the mounting bracket . Shall i run this wire directly to the chassis frame to remove all doubt ?

View attachment 127539
Assuming this extra wire is a ground , it gets no mention in the Wilson Silverload Flex instructions other than a pic of it bolted to the mounting bracket . Shall i run this wire directly to the chassis frame to remove all doubt ?

I don't see how that can do any harm Shayne.

I tested mine on receive only, the other day, on the busyist channel here channel 22. I could hear quite a lot of chat going on, and it was clear with no crackling.

I don't suppose we'll know anything till everyone arrives, and we'll take it from there.

I won't get no joy today anyway Clive because i need to swap this

Coax 001.JPG

For a similar connection to those on my swr meter because i had to buy a 3/8 stud mount for the Wilson

Coax 002.JPG

And while i'm at it i thought sod it i will replace the whole cable because its the only thing that's original from my luckless CB adventures , if i recall correctly the original has a joint in it somewhere in any case and i read somewhere that joints hinder performance .

We will see if a cb shop can guess what i'm on about tomorrow when i ask for 5600mm cable with thingy ends on it :|

I won't get no joy today anyway Clive because i need to swap this

View attachment 127549

For a similar connection to those on my swr meter because i had to buy a 3/8 stud mount for the Wilson

View attachment 127550
And while i'm at it i thought sod it i will replace the whole cable because its the only thing that's original from my luckless CB adventures , if i recall correctly the original has a joint in it somewhere in any case and i read somewhere that joints hinder performance .

We will see if a cb shop can guess what i'm on about tomorrow when i ask for 5600mm cable with thingy ends on it :|

At least you have a CB shop to go to Shayne, and someone there that speaks (something close to) your language...

:lol:

Joins are ok if done with the proper connections Shayne. The wire you have should connect to the bracket, then run a wire from that to the next bit of metal and so on to your chassis until the whole is linked together.

This is a useful page. https://www.cbradio.co.uk/cb-radio-tips-and-tricks.html

As is this.
http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-radio-guide-swr.html

Get everything connected well together electrically then you create a good ground plane. All antennas are dipoles. That is they have a bit that sticks up, and a bit that sticks down. You need to connect everything on the vehicle to make it into one bit that sticks down known as the ground plane.

Last edited:
The Sirio is going in the bin Towpack , the 3/8 stud i bought goes through a hole drilled on a springy length of flat steel which is welded to my spare wheel carrier . Cable and antenna will screw onto that .

If i run that ground wire to chassis is that the grounding done or should i still think about putting a ground wire from the body to the door ?

The door will almost certainly be electrically grounded to the body/chassis for light, rear wiper, demister etc but wether this is sufficient for radio purposes is debatable . If I were you I'd ground the antenna wire at the back door mount and use a short piece of earthing braid to bond the door to body, in the door jamb. In theory and doing it 'by the book' you should bond every door and panel on the truck this way but unless you have major interference or high SWR issues you can get away without that.

While i'm at it shall i earth to body and chassis with the same wire or is that counter productive ?

Just to body with a decent braid type strap ideally Shayne. We know from bitter experience your chassis is connected to your body by more than your braided brake hoses now…:whistle:

Runs and hides…

I'm just doing the same exercise and have requested some help and advice from one of the Rig Doctors listed here http://www.m0ysu.com/rigdoctors.html

There's a couple in Wales, though I'm not sure how close they are to you. Just make sure connections are good. I've been advised to put Vaseline on the plug threads and connections to save them from corrosion (good call I thought). And test with the plugs disconnected that you have no continuity between braid and core, (test on ohms between, expect no reading) and that you have continuity from end to end (short one end, core to screen, test on ohms and expect near zero). Once all connected, connect SWR meter between radio and antenna and test. Follow the procedure in the link I sent earlier. The nearer you can get to 1:1 the better.

Last edited:
Back