Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I need a new AC compressor - what are my options?

Lorin

I was driving on the motorway with AC on when I suddenly lost my dash, the heating controls, electric windows and the auto wouldn't go into overdrive. Turns out it was a 10 amp fuse - the one marked as 'GAUGE'. But then I opened the bonnet and found melted plastic splattered all over the front of the engine bay that had come from the AC compressor (picture below is after I'd picked a load of it off).

IMG_8382.JPG

Seems this exact scenario has been reported by others and indicates the AC compressor is toast - though why it's that fuse that blows I don't know.

So I need a new compressor. Opie Oils list the one I need for £599 or Amayama are showing it for £399 + £42 postage + whatever the VAT/import fees will be. Ideally I'd like to spend less than this!!

Are there any options people would recommend? Should I go second hand, or are there any non-Denso AC compressors worth looking at, or are better prices available for a Denso? I'd welcome any suggestions.

Not seen that happen before Lorin. Not sure where the plastic has come from nor why. I appreciate that you're probably past this point, but they're flippin' expensive to buy, but rebuilding them is very very easy. If it's not actually toasted completely, then perhaps it might live again? I think my rebuild cost me about £70 Mine was simply leaking like a sieve. It didn't have anything by way of damage though.

Yes you can get the compressor rebuilt it cost me 180 dollars (AUS) but its a lot cheaper plus the cost of regas as well but its all a better option for you.

Seems this exact scenario has been reported by others and indicates the AC compressor is toast - though why it's that fuse that blows I don't know.

So I need a new compressor. Opie Oils list the one I need for £599 or Amayama are showing it for £399 + £42 postage + whatever the VAT/import fees will be. Ideally I'd like to spend less than this!!

Are there any options people would recommend? Should I go second hand, or are there any non-Denso AC compressors worth looking at, or are better prices available for a Denso? I'd welcome any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can get the compressor rebuilt it cost me 180 dollars (AUS) plus regas so its the best option for you.

That’s probably come from the coil for the clutch Lorin. It’s not physically part of the compressor but attaches to the front behind the pulley. Sounds like it got a shorted turn in the winding or something similar, drew too much current, melted and took out the fuse. The front of the compressor is easy enough to disassemble without disconnecting it removing it from the pipework and adding to your problem. If any member has a spare coil or you can swap one from a scrap compressor this will probably sort your problem, as long as there are no other issues. Check the disc at the front in front of the pulley turns with a little resistance, this is turning the compressor and should indicate it’s not seized. If there hasn’t been any other damage and you can clean it up ok, it should be an easy cheap fix.

Edit, you should be able to find a replacement coil on eBay as long as you check it fits your model number.

Have you got a part number for the ones you've been looking at Lorin?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I’ll get the pulley off in a day or two and get a better look. Would be nice if it was repairable.

I was driving on the motorway with AC on when I suddenly lost my dash, the heating controls, electric windows and the auto wouldn't go into overdrive. Turns out it was a 10 amp fuse - the one marked as 'GAUGE'. But then I opened the bonnet and found melted plastic splattered all over the front of the engine bay that had come from the AC compressor (picture below is after I'd picked a load of it off).

View attachment 158704

Are there any options people would recommend? Should I go second hand, or are there any non-Denso AC compressors worth looking at, or are better prices available for a Denso? I'd welcome any suggestions.

Looking at the picture, is there some damage to the timing belt cover?

Following a better look, the 'crack' looks like a molten bit of plastic rather than damage.

Looking at the picture, is there some damage to the timing belt cover?

Following a better look, the 'crack' looks like a molten bit of plastic rather than damage.

No damage to the timing cover - it is the molten plastic that has come from the compressor.

Looks like the coil may have been rubbed by the pulley assy melting the plastic and causing a short, blowing a fuse. Either that or a short in the coil from some other reason.

I had the exact same symptoms on mine 9 years ago, just before Mongolia. Blow fuse, nasty smell and a molten plastic mess under the bonnet. The bonnet still has the plastic splattered on it. Anyway, good luck with finding a good AC compressor. I had trouble back then as the 24v ones are not as common and I could not claim my core charge or rebuild it as my old compressor had a bent shaft as a result of the coil failing. I would take the belt off before you run your engine as you risk completely destroying the internals of your compressor (exactly what happened with mine).

I had the exact same symptoms on mine 9 years ago, just before Mongolia. Blow fuse, nasty smell and a molten plastic mess under the bonnet. The bonnet still has the plastic splattered on it. Anyway, good luck with finding a good AC compressor. I had trouble back then as the 24v ones are not as common and I could not claim my core charge or rebuild it as my old compressor had a bent shaft as a result of the coil failing. I would take the belt off before you run your engine as you risk completely destroying the internals of your compressor (exactly what happened with mine).

Cheers Rob. I haven’t driven it since and will remove belt before I do. I’m hoping to get the pulley off tomorrow and possibly the compressor. It did do a fair few miles before I discovered it though so I’m afraid it’s going to be toast.

Well that's the first step isn't it. Get it off and in bits and see. I had one that I thought was fine, but one of the bores had a massive hole in it where water must have been sitting rusting away at the vital bits. Probably in the back of the cupboard somewhere. I would think there are quite a number of bits lying around Lorin in scrap bins etc. I know I have one on the bench here but it's pretty poor and I can't see it would be any good to you honestly. I've had a look at the coil and the whole front end is just wobbling about. One of the key bits you'll need to swap is the shaft seal. It's a bit tricky and removing it is usually a bit of a hack. To get it back on over the shaft I made a sleeve with a pointed end (Thanks Frank) so that you don't damage it on the threads.

Lorin, take the pulley off before you do anything else and thoroughly inspect. You could be lucky. The minute you open the system and lose the gas you’re into £80 minimum just for the gas. Leave it connected until you must open the fridge side. You could be lucky. The front end is straightforward. Mine tilted the coil and rubbed inside the pulley spreading rusty dust all over. If you’ve got this (looking like brake dust) it may be a clue as to what has happened. If the pulley still turns which it sounds like it does, that’s a good sign. The coil is a unit on its own, so it’s replaceable without affecting the fridge side of things.
Fingers crossed for you.

Good advice. I was labouring under the misapprehension that the AC wasn't actually working. If it's holding pressure then that's a massive bonus. Mine did and then it didn't.

If it's scrap that type of body fitted many cars so going to a scrapyard you might find one that will fit. Easy to turn the shaft at the yard and see if the compressor feels smooth. This could give you a compressor worth building yourself. The yards often take the compressors off and pile them so it might not mean inspecting every car. As long as the holes have the same spacing and the nose is the same and set forward from the hole fronts by the same amount you should be OK. If you do find a suitable one chances are the coil will still be on the front.

I picked up a reman one from Germany for £180 and just had to change the pulley IIRC

Part no. was 10PA15L

Back