Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I seem to have a creaky rear end.....

ModelMakerMan

Country Flag
england
....... and its not too many beans.

Since I did the suspension lift there has been an annoying creak coming from the rear of the truck. If I bounce the rear suspension it creaks on the up and down stroke, Ive been under to have a look a few times but cant find anything out of the ordinary and its really hard to pinpoint this noise. Any one have anything like this or any ideas what it could be?

it could be the bushes in the trailing arms.

i remember Roger saying some time ago, that when doing a suspension lift you should slacken all the bolts off in the radius and trailing arms, and then tighten them all back up once the new bigger springs and shocks are in place. :think:

Hmm, might have to try that. I did the Panard rod but not the radius arms.

It doesnt have any poly bushes, all the bushes are original rubber toyota units and seem in good condition.

hummm, interesting.
does it just creak when turning? accelerating? decelerating? going over a bump? all the time? left side or right side? middle of the car or the right at the axle?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It seems to be linked to suspension travel but it doesnt need a lot of travel to make it creak so it creaks most of the time whilst driving due to suspension movement. Its one of those really hard noises to pin point but Im pretty sure is coming from the rear axle area.

Can you get someone else to have a listen underneath whilst you bounce it up and down?

Could be suspension setup, but maybe also the prop if you've fitted bigger tyres and changed the angles at all. (joints and also the bit where it slides).

Pete

Ok so I had a better look underneath yesterday and it looks like the panard rod is contacting the LSV arm and the fuel tank guard. The LSV interference is due to the extension piece I made (to compensate for the lift) stepping it out about 5-10mm. I sorted the LSV with a couple of taps with a mallet but I cant sort the tank guard without either removing the guard which I REALLY dont want to do as it was such a pain to fit or removing the panard rod to give me enough room to "remodel it" with the BFH which a cant do because I sheared the knuckle on my breaker bar trying to undo the radius arm bolts! :thumbdown:

th_VIDEO0008.jpg

Creaking can be the back doors. They are very fussy about fit and general tension on the rubber seal.

Try a silicone spray on the seal itself.

Roger

Back