Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I want to upgrade but....

Steve H

Country Flag
uk
Hi. A few weeks ago I had a test drive in a 2011 150 series LC5. We had it for an hour and tried a mixture of back roads and m/way driving. I haven't driven one before(already tried a 120) so took up the offer from my local dealer. Driving back home afterwards in my 98 Colorado my wife and i where talking about the 150. I thought it slightly lacked torque pulling away and uphill acceleration. Liked the seats(black leather all round) and the layout of the dash etc. My wife said the engine was noisy compared to our Collie and she also thought that the ride was no different either. " It still seems a hard ride over the bumps and holes just like ours but it does it quieter" was her comment. She also commented on spending that sort of money for a car that, in her opinion, doesn't seem that different from ours. Then lock down hit and haven't had the chance to try or do anything since.
Is it that Toyota got it right with the Collie and all the difference is just cosmetic with extra gadgets or am I missing the point somewhere?
What do you think?

Personally i wouldn't swap either of my old 90's for a brand new 120 because i have driven one , i can't imagine i'd feel different about the 150 .To me the 90 series feels like a 4x4 and the 120 feels like a big car but horses for courses and different strokes for different folks

Your right about the 90 Shayne. I got into it after the test drive and it honestly felt no different. I drive the 90 all the time and even trying out the brand new Rexton ultimate didnt make me think yes I want one. Tried it as its still ladder frame chassis and separate body combo. That was the closest new car that was almost as good as driving the Collie. Im looking again as I have semi retired and hoping to find something to pull my caravan and less juicy when not towing. Could be fully retired next July the way things are going at work.

I forced to make the same decision i reckon only pickup trucks would get a look in and again i really don't think one is much better than the next , still i'd be wondering if my collie might outlast them all . Brands be damned biggest engine (not the most powerful) i could afford would likely be the deciding factor . Its a scary thought .

I thought it slightly lacked torque pulling away and uphill acceleration.

The guy on YouTube fourby4diesel is always saying they're under powered compared to the 3.0 in the 120.

Haven't been in a 90 for years so can't comment but I wouldn't be queuing up to swap my 120 for a 150. To me, the 120 is a good balance between a car and a truck!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I swapped my trusty old Colorado for a 120.... Wish i hadn't... If your Colorado is still good to go, Or doesn't need that much to keep it going.... Keep it .... My old Colorado had 285,000 on the clock when i swapped it , It still had the sweetest sounding engine in it.... But i am Biased because i have a special place of Hatred in my Heart for the sound of the much overrated 3.0 D4D Engine.......... just 'sayin' Like.... :thumbup:

Interesting comments on the D4D. I had the old 1 KZ-TE which had ridiculous torque but wasn't much of an overtaker that's for sure. Then I got an early 120. it was like swapping from a mini to a McLaren. Fabulous. Had everything I wanted. I got to drive my neighbours Colorado late model D4D and that was pretty darn good. Then I bought this 3.0 D4D Hilux. Hmm, lovely truck but where's the performance gone? Very very poor torque, cruises fantastically well on the motorway, no complaints, but acceleration? It's like an asthmatic bagpipe. I've had 2 of the 2.2 D4Ds in cars and they have been mighty. So what have they done to this later version? I bought a Lindop chip for mine. Fitted it, no effect. In the end I wound it up fully and there was absolutely no change. In the end I got my money back. Lindop said even witout dialling it up I should have noticed an immediate efect. A 3.0 diesel Turbo really should be better than this.

The guy on YouTube fourby4diesel is always saying they're under powered compared to the 3.0 in the 120.

Haven't been in a 90 for years so can't comment but I wouldn't be queuing up to swap my 120 for a 150. To me, the 120 is a good balance between a car and a truck!
I agree Karl the 120 especially the top models are a good balance between a high quality car and a truck , and when you do a egr clean and disable the egr valve it make the 120 engine even smoother and more low down grunt on part throttle , the diesel 90 is low rent in interior quality nowhere near as smooth and comfortable to drive and the 1kz engine unrefined and low in power in comparison .

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, interesting. I moved from both of these:-

IMG_0947.JPG

to this:-

IMG_1447.JPG

It was a move I've definitely not regretted.
The black one was a D4D VX and the silver one a low mileage V6 petrol. The D4D pulled like a train but was a bit agricultural and the V6 pulled like a train but in a different kind of way.
The 120 ( LC4) is better in every way ( in my opinion) , its quieter, has a better ride, better to be in , more room, the only negative is its slightly less economical than the Collie D4D but better than the V6. I put a S/H Lindup tuning chip on the 120 and it feels like all of 200 BHP on the road, overtaking is a breeze compared with before.
I can't compare the 120 with a 150 although it would be the natural progression as a 200 series is stratospheric in price. The question is, is a S/H 150 worth twice as much + as a good 120, as a a good 120 is double the price of an equivalent Collie?
The task nowadays is finding a good one with little rust, ( this was the 10th I looked at) but the black Collie was the first I looked at, luck of the draw I guess.

I swapped my trusty old Colorado for a 120.... Wish i hadn't... If your Colorado is still good to go, Or doesn't need that much to keep it going.... Keep it .... My old Colorado had 285,000 on the clock when i swapped it , It still had the sweetest sounding engine in it.... But i am Biased because i have a special place of Hatred in my Heart for the sound of the much overrated 3.0 D4D Engine.......... just 'sayin' Like.... :thumbup:
Judging by how loud and rattly you used to say your 120 engine sounded Higgy it was obvious your injectors were completely flogged and needed replacing and the inlet tract and egr valve needed a good cleanout ,

An emotive point away from DPFs and EGRs ... I went for a long drive in the Peak and W Yorkshire yesterday. Saw tons of brand new Hiluxes and a couple of 200s and 150s but the only other older Toyota 4x4 I saw all day was a gold Y-reg Collie parked up at the viewing point at Holme Moss. The owners gave me a knowing nod as I pulled in and went back to their tea and sandwiches. Looked like they were having the time of their life.

Judging by how loud and rattly you used to say your 120 engine sounded Higgy it was obvious your injectors were completely flogged and needed replacing and the inlet tract and egr valve needed a good cleanout ,
There was nothing wrong with the injectors Tony, My issue was Turbo related and once that was sorted the Knockerty Knackerty sound almost went.... Strange how i had the same Knockerty Knackerty Sound on both my D4D Hilux's. Iv always valued your Knowledge of the 120 and indeed you pointed me in the right direction many times on issues with my 120.....Comfort wise it was a better ride than my old Colorado, But The engine in a decent Colorado would Knock spots off a 120 . Im not just Targeting Toyota, Most Manufacturers that went from The old injector pump to common rail all went down hill. Take the old Isuzu 3.1, Brilliant engine they replaced it with the 3.0 common rail, And what a pile of shit that was. All the vehicle Makers had to wise up to Fuel economy/Emissions etc and thought that the common rail was the way forward,( maybe it was) but to reach certain goals they had to do away with Performance and reliability, And who thought it was a good idea to have to change Injectors at 150,000 miles, The whole thing in the early days was a very Hurried up Technical exercise.. We can not all be on the same wave length, If we were we would all be Driving 80s...:lol: Lots of love Higgy. (1997 24v 80 with 329,000 on the clock, original injectors/ seats /clutch/ axles/ gearbox/ paint/:lol:

We went over there on the bikes yesterday Jacob. Looked in the car park, but don't think there was any Yota metal parked there at the time. Just started to rain as we went over the top and down into Holmfirth. Cracking rainbow though

I dont quite know what you mean when you say the collie engine would knock the spots off a 120 , the 1kz collie engine produces 96 KW@3600rpm and 343Nm at2400-4800 rpm the 120 engine in 2007 - produces127 KW @ 3400rpm and 410 Nm @1600-2800rpm , the 120 has 30% more power and 20% more torque all useable at lower rpm , but yes you are right Higgy we can not all be on the right wave length , lots of love to to you too Higgy , :smiley:

Even before it was modified my 1kz 90 had far more character than the more powerful 1kd 90 , my 1kd is more refined and gives better mpg which for some will trump character . I think some 120's got the 1kd tested in the 90 series but somewhere along the line the 2kd was introduced hence the contrary speculation .

0-60MPH my modified 1kz will flog my 1kd for fun , on a motorway they are quite evenly matched i think though the 1kd does it in a more gentile way but then its geared for that . If i swapped the diffs there would be no competition .

Much depends on how you drive i guess and chauffeured luxury would bore me to sleep .

Im not going back on what i said.... Its just the 3 trucks iv had with the D4D Engine, Were in my opinion very disappointing... I thought someone like Toyota would have come up with something Better.......

Back