Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I will be getting a new set of tyres

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england

I will be getting a new set of tyres soon, it’s a toss-up between 265/75R16 General Grabber AT2 or BF Goodrich All Terrain 265/75/16, is it worth spending the bit more on the BFG’s?
When these have been bought I will have 7 285/75/16 Cooper STT’s for sale, one brand new, the other six about half worn. Can bring two part worn to Lincomb, would prefer to sell the other 5 as a set when new tyres are on.
All offers considered. :pray:

why are you going down a size chas? i take it they are the same size as factory just slightly different ratios?
stu

just noticed went past the 1000 mark today yippy

The existing Coopers stick out past the arches so a bit slimmer might be better. Actually maybe I should get 265/85/R16. :think:

Last edited:
i have not seen 265 85 16 i have 255 85 16 which is alittle taller then the 285 i like the 33" hight to be fair. really think if you go down that small it will look odd chas.

My cooper's are more like 32 and a half's on 16x8 wheels which are the same size as yours i think . Just thought i'd mention it as different brands seem to have different characteristics , the side wall of mine protrudes a fair bit more than the tread , Another brand name might get you a taller tyre that doesn't pass the arches without changing size .
I might be interested in the part worn pair , pound each and a can of beer did you say :whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i have not seen 265 85 16 i have 255 85 16 which is alittle taller then the 285 i like the 33" hight to be fair. really think if you go down that small it will look odd chas.

I'll have a peek at yours on Sunday and compare with mine.
fantasy-libra-21.gif

I very much like my Kumho Road Venture AT KL78 tyres

197150d1361559398-sale-kumho-road-venture-kl78-tire8.jpg
KUMHO-ROAD-VENTURE-AT-KL78-b.jpg

Fairly quiet and been done quiet well for muddy wet track, the slipes in the tread go all the way down too, I'm not sure how they will wear as I have only had them on for 2000 miles so far. Compared to M/Ts the sidewalls feel soft and the other bad point is that because the gap between the tread blocks is bigger (its more aggressive in real life than photos show in my view) they pick up stones like a mofo! But all in all a good tyre!

I have only ever had road tyres or mud tyres on my 4x4s so I don't know how these compare to other A/T tyres.

Last edited:
I reckon 285 bfgs would be a bit slimmer, I have 305 km2s and they are defimitely thinner than the kumhos they replaced.

Size discussion aside Chas, I've had GG AT2s on my 80 for 6 years now and can't really fault them. I can't tell you how many kms they've done because I scrapped 3 with tyre wall rips (off-roading on narrow tracks with rocks protruding). Now I'm on the last 4.

2 of them have about 8mm tread and the other 2 are down to about 3mm.

I'm going to replace them, eventually, with BFG ATs but only for the change really. I've heard the BFGs are more resistant on the side walls, so that's some incentive for me to change.

I've been riding 305s since I bought the 80 and I can't imagine coming down to 265s. This is for no more reason than aesthetics, I can't resist having wide tyres, been like that since a teenager :lol::icon-rolleyes:

In fact, I'm trying to resist the temptation to go for 315s.

I reckon I'll go for the 285 BFG ATs if they might be a bit slimmer than the Coopers I've got. After I've had a look at stumogs 255's.

Not sure why but the kumho kl71s looked the widest, had goodyear mtr which were a bit thinner and now the km2s which are thinner still.

I've 285 BFG's on the green 80 I'll be bringing this weekend Chas. You can have a gander at those. TBF I think the " standard" look of the 275's takes some beating.

Andy

I know a couple of people running Cooper ST Maxx 285/75R16, they maybe worth considering too?

I've got GG2s on the HIlux as BFGs aren't available in standard size and any larger needs a bit of modding. I've got BFG ATs on the 'cruiser. I would say, good as the GGs are, the BFG are better. Not least because they have more aggressive side lugs which give better rut climbing

ST Maxx are an all terrain tyre, just with reinforced sidewalls and sidewall tread so you can air down more confidently if you need/want to.

Chas, do you still have your wheel spacers?

Back