Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ideas for European recovery/ road side assistance?

Bmonck

Supporter
Country Flag
england
All
I am planning a trip to northern Spain next month. In the UK I have full RAC cover with my insurance. However they won’t extend this cover to Europe because my car is 25 years old.
Any ideas on who might offer this cover on an older vehicle?
Many thanks in advance.

I have ADAC. They cover you not the vehicle. Includes repatriation. 84 Euros

I tried getting ADAC for the Croatia trip and they are currently not accepting new business outside of Germany (existing customers not affected). I ended up paying £31 for cover with the NFU who I'm already using for my insurance.

I was going to say ADAC but if what Trevor has experienced continues then that’s no good. Did you ring them up, @Trevor ?

I tried getting ADAC for the Croatia trip and they are currently not accepting new business outside of Germany (existing customers not affected). I ended up paying £31 for cover with the NFU who I'm already using for my insurance.
Thanks Trevor. I am with nfu now which includes RAC for the UK but they said truck is too old for extending cover to mainland Europe:cry:

I’m beginning to smell the anti diesel rat on this one. Or am I being cynical?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was going to say ADAC but if what Trevor has experienced continues then that’s no good. Did you ring them up, @Trevor ?

Yes I chatted on the phone to them, they did say try again towards the end of the year as the position may change. The cover I got was NFU own add on and not via RAC

i have cover for europe via Asda but will only recover to a garage , not home due to age
But have adac as well just to get me home, also they must good i see a germany recover vehicle from adac picking up a few germany vehicle to transport home

Has anyone tried the AA? iv used them when I broke down in Europe. Excellent service... but not sure on their over 25 yr vehicle policy... worth a call

i have cover for europe via Asda but will only recover to a garage , not home due to age
But have adac as well just to get me home, also they must good i see a germany recover vehicle from adac picking up a few germany vehicle to transport home
I didn’t know Asda did that. Will add them to the list of people to call Thanks

I’ve heard ADAC aren’t covering U.K. vehicles now for new members due to brexit

I’ve been on the RAC website put my details of the car in, (‘94 Bruiser 80) and for comprehensive cover £260 for one years cover, they offer comprehensive plus for more dosh, so it’s available if you want to pay. We are going on a few trips so it’s on the cards I’ll buy it. The other option is to have a Bank “package” where you pay each month for a variety of things and car recovery is one of those things( I have this) but when I had trouble in Corsica last year and thought I might need help, the people I spoke to by phone in the recovery firm they use, wasn’t, ( helpful that is) so I’m looking around myself. I don’t think it’s an age thing but they did ask if the vehicle had been serviced recently, and if it had, a proper service and check over ( Russian Bank, I think)
So, I once had ADAC, I bought it at Bad Kissingham at the 4x4 show, had it for me and my two sons, ( 3 policies) for a couple of years, the day I needed them they were about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, they failed to rescue my wife who had broken down in her Mercedes E240 ( German) from outside the hospital where I was recovering from a major op ( pun intended) They had “sent” the AA and that man couldn’t find her, so he went home. ( 10 at night, female on her own, you’ve seen the ad) My pal helped out.( he should have got the premium) and ( it was the fan belt) The best bit was when I declined repeat business I had a woman actually shouting down the phone at me saying “ this is not possible” my reply was “ watch this space” I wrote them a very polite letter explaining my reasons and heard no more, so I think I’ might be the reason they won’t do business here now. But I don’t accept responsibility.
It’s all good fun eh? Best regards to all, Bill Westley

All
I am planning a trip to northern Spain next month. In the UK I have full RAC cover with my insurance. However they won’t extend this cover to Europe because my car is 25 years old.
Any ideas on who might offer this cover on an older vehicle?
Many thanks in advance.

Me too. Where are you going? We are leaving on the 5th and heading down through France then along the East coast to Tabernas and then back up through central/eastern Spain. 2 week trip and stopping at the Overland show on the way home.

Now looking for breakdown cover too. :sleepy:

Me too. Where are you going? We are leaving on the 5th and heading down through France then along the East coast to Tabernas and then back up through central/eastern Spain. 2 week trip and stopping at the Overland show on the way home.

Now looking for breakdown cover too. :sleepy:
ferry to Santander and then meander along the north coast towards Coruna then back. a long slow loop i think.
What overland show are you referring to and where is it?
I will check out those recovery links
thanks

I’ve been on the RAC website put my details of the car in, (‘94 Bruiser 80) and for comprehensive cover £260 for one years cover, they offer comprehensive plus for more dosh, so it’s available if you want to pay. We are going on a few trips so it’s on the cards I’ll buy it. The other option is to have a Bank “package” where you pay each month for a variety of things and car recovery is one of those things( I have this) but when I had trouble in Corsica last year and thought I might need help, the people I spoke to by phone in the recovery firm they use, wasn’t, ( helpful that is) so I’m looking around myself. I don’t think it’s an age thing but they did ask if the vehicle had been serviced recently, and if it had, a proper service and check over ( Russian Bank, I think)
So, I once had ADAC, I bought it at Bad Kissingham at the 4x4 show, had it for me and my two sons, ( 3 policies) for a couple of years, the day I needed them they were about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, they failed to rescue my wife who had broken down in her Mercedes E240 ( German) from outside the hospital where I was recovering from a major op ( pun intended) They had “sent” the AA and that man couldn’t find her, so he went home. ( 10 at night, female on her own, you’ve seen the ad) My pal helped out.( he should have got the premium) and ( it was the fan belt) The best bit was when I declined repeat business I had a woman actually shouting down the phone at me saying “ this is not possible” my reply was “ watch this space” I wrote them a very polite letter explaining my reasons and heard no more, so I think I’ might be the reason they won’t do business here now. But I don’t accept responsibility.
It’s all good fun eh? Best regards to all, Bill Westley
Bill many thanks will try out RAC directly then too. cheers

gents to follow up a little
Both AA and RAC will quote me for Spain (I dont why NFU told me no way for a 25 year old car). they are both in the #210 zone for comprehensive and #180 for slightly less comprehensive cover. IN each case about #100 more for full year instead of one trip.
Toyota UK wont cover imports (which mine is)
Police mutual no cars over 15 years old (mine 25 y.o.)
Compare the market produced not a single quote.
Still checking some others

I just add mine to my AA cover and you just pay by the day

I've travelled overseas a lot, usually without breakdown cover because of the age of the vehicle. The money I have saved will probably pay for recovery should I need it several times over.

Back