Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ignition Barrel problems. Help and advice needed

Lexie

Country Flag
great_britain
Stopped went into shop came out again key will not turn in barrel at all.

Obvious its wear n tear but is a 2nd hand one any good or whats your opinion guys

Thanks

When mine did that I replaced it with a full lock set from Toyota, if I remember correctly was approx £250 for all lock barrels and a full set of keys.
That was before I was a member on here ;)

Waiting on a price from mr T.

As the key wont turn at all how hard is it to remove the barrel, am i right in say it must be at "acc " to remove?

Waiting on a price from mr T.

As the key wont turn at all how hard is it to remove the barrel, am i right in say it must be at "acc " to remove?

Not a hard job firstly taking the steering bottom dash panel off and may be able to access it with screws holding it into place. Hard to remember having done this many years ago.

Are they anti tamper screws? Ie they only fit a screwdriver to tighten them? They might need drilling out. Just thinking in terms of anti theft, if they were easy, you'd just take your own key and barrel, swap them and drive away.

Actually looking at prices, it's worth buying one of those sets to keep with you in the truck for such situations when travelling!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep, has to be in "acc" position. There is a pin underneath which when pressed when the key is in the "acc" position the barrel will come out with the key.

Mine did the exactly the same thing. Happy to describe how to sort out but not on a open forum.

I always keep a couple of these in stock.
Must take a better picture..

lock kit.jpg

Ahh so you can replace just the internals without having to get the whole unit off. Good to know.

Yes. The anti theft bit is the fact you need the key to release the barrel.

When the barrel breaks even if you have the key it will not rotate to push the pin to remove.

Can you pm me a price for a key set please?

When the barrel breaks even if you have the key it will not rotate to push the pin to remove.

Can you pm me a price for a key set please?

i do them too stu if you want to compare prices.

Back