Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Impact Wrenches. Friction ring v detent pin.

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
I'm in the market for a battery impact wrench. Something more compact than my Clarke mains powered thing, which is great, but I can pretty much only use it on wheel nuts because it won't fit anywhere else. The Clarke uses a friction ring to hold the socket on. I find this a pain to get the socket on to, I don't know if there is a knack? I end up tapping them on with a hammer.

Is there a reason I wouldn't want a detent pin model? Any general recommendations other than Milwaukee?

As an aside does anyone have the Milwaukee DAB radio? Any good? I've looked at the Makita radios, but they sound very bassey. I only have a "Site" Cordless drill, so anything new is going to be on a new battery system.

I've got both types, the pin one is a pain if swapping sockets on and off unless the pin doesn't go into a hole (defeats the point if it though) and some of my sockets get stuck and need a tap to remove. Only have 1 like that and don't use it very often tbh. That's a Dewalt 18v.

The ring ones I've got 3 different ones and prefer them, can be a bit stiff to start with but soon loosen up, depends on how much use it gets. All 3 are snap on, 1 air, 1 7.2v and 1 14.4v

I have a Milwaukee ID with the friction ring and found it very stiff to use with my older sockets but curiously enough easier with some newer impact sockets. I improved the fit with the older sockets by taking the edge off the square drive hole in the sockets with a small grinder so they push on/pull off easier.

I have the 18v DeWalt with the "Hogring" and it is a bit tricky when new but it is easing up. I bought it as a bare tool, no battery,case or charger as it shares the li Ion batteries with my cordless drill. The Hogring can transfer more power I believe and the DeWalt is not short of that. Something like 1800Nm of breakout torque. The good bit is it's got three speeds selected electrically as well as a variable trigger.
One of the best tools I've bought in a long time.

I've only experience with the Ingersoll Rand 1/2 inch drive ID and as I've said before its phenomenal.

Back