Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Importing a VDJ79 Single cab to the UK

scottmk1

Country Flag
scotland
Hi, I'm Scott and I've joined up to find out about importing a VDJ79 single cab pickup into the UK. Has anyone done it? If so did you use an agent or do it all yourself?
It would be nice to hear from others who run these trucks to see how they get on with them as well.

Hi Charlie thanks for the link,I'll have a look at that tonight. Was it a new one you got or a used one?

Hi Charlie thanks for the link,I'll have a look at that tonight. Was it a new one you got or a used one?
Used, I'd already owned the vehicle for about 3 years before it was imported.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Milner 4x4 in Derbyshire have had a UK-reg one for sale for some time. 20k plus vat.

Hi Michael, thanks for that. I have spoken to John at Anglia Vehicles, they can only supply LHD and a conversion to RHD is looking to be over £5k. Still thinking about it though!

Do you desperately need RHD? a LHD V8 would command a much higher price in Europe (as they cant easily get them there!)

He gets LHD due to a loophole in the IVA test which makes it much cheaper.

Aus and ZA are the only other options to import but I checked prices and by the time its landed and IVAd (if under 10 years) it was close to what John charges for new.

I also looked in UAE, they buy "well used" examples from Australia. They are much cheaper in UAE than Australia which makes me think they are dogs! Still looking at 25-30k landed for something with over 100k on

My conclusion is to convert my 80 series. Cheaper, more comfortable, better offroad, better on road, more robust, probably more reliable!

Convert it to what? Can the 80 series be had with that whopping V8 engine? I dont think LHD is too much of an issue, you just have to be mindful about toll roads and drive thru's. Thankfully I dont really visit drive thru places. I used to drive LHD one's in the middle east then use RHD cars at home and never really had any issues.

Ah sorry, I meant effectively converting it to a single cab pickup (im doing a camper conversion). Still comes with a decent 4.2 turbo diesel though. But If you really want a V8 diesel I guess a 70 series is the only option - but check out reviews in Oz, theyre not the fussed on the reliability of them over there.

If you want a "proper" V8 get a 4.5L v8 Petrol 100 series lol. I bought one, they are so cheap compared to 4.2 Diesels, and I get similar economy to my 4.2L 80!

Is the reliability an issue on the 79's with the V8 engine? I thought they were pretty good? If the right truck came up with the 4.2 6 cylinder engine I'd go for that too, just thought the V8 would be the daddy!

Is the reliability an issue on the 79's with the V8 engine? I thought they were pretty good? If the right truck came up with the 4.2 6 cylinder engine I'd go for that too, just thought the V8 would be the daddy!
nothing wrong with a good old hz with a turbo, The v8 diesel is the daddy of all landcruiser engines imo though.
Just seen they want 29k for that one, i had a price list off Anglia and im pretty sure he was at 32k if you could get the VAT back... why wouldn't you buy new...........

Well, I can't get the vat back unfortunately. I'm not against buying new just exploring the options. One reason you would buy the likes of the one on Facebook is that it is about £16k cheaper than a new one in RHD if you consider the vat. I'm still tempted by the new ones partly for the longer 5th gear as I do sometimes have long boring stints on the motorway.

Is there any threads on here about converting an 80? sounds like an interesting project - not that I need any more!!

Is there any threads on here about converting an 80? sounds like an interesting project - not that I need any more!!

Yeah paul at westcoast4x4 built a pretty mint one. Im really not into cutting them up but this looked spot on.

Back