Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Injector pump leak

I used degreaer on the pump before undoing anything. I scrubbed all the union nuts and got a bottle brush to scrub in between them. Then blew off with an air line nozzle.

Well.. The mechanical experience behind too many years of building 500bhp bike engines kinda told me that was probably the case. But I also learned a long time ago, and it's a bit of a moto... NEVER PRESUME as it could either A: COST A LOT or B: HURT A LOT
As I said, diesel pretty new to me, but armed with manual, luckily fairly easy to transfer skills.

And the degreaser and bottle brush..... Funny. I've just done exactly that!

Only skimmed this thread but, have a look at the leak off flexible pipes, they get porous and 'sweat' diesel. A bugger to find if yours have the old woven material over them, the diesel runs under the material and could be a foot from the actual leak source.

Regards

Dave

220692A.png

Cheers lads. I'll take the crack a nut and let it drip approach. The more you look into it, the more you're made to feel cracking anything on the high pressure end will have diesel put your eye out on the way to hitting the back of your skull!
Pictures I will take. :thumbup:

If the engine is not running then there will be no residual high pressure in the lines after 10 mins or so on a conventional mechanical injection system .
I think the caution around high pressure is very much more relevant to high pressure "common rail " systems .
These do hold poss very high residual pressures and also have the potential to have leaks that are invisible but will remove a finger or hand just as cleanly as a scalpel with the added bonus that any injection of fuel under the skin will result in at best infection , at worst loss of limb .
In short treat common rail systems with respect and use a bit of paper not you finger/hand to try and find leaks when the engine is running.
Even these systems will allow high pressure to decay away after 30 mins or so .

I’ve had a leak on the ACSD and a second time around the gasket (22774). So be very specific on where it is leaking from...

I found Scrubbing / cleaning the pump - then drawing lines on the pump with a permanent marker worked well.

I managed to replace these on the truck - but I agree removal and bench work is probably the wisest approach.

HTH

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Busy few weeks, but finally got round to finishing this job up...

So start with getting everything clean as possible and get stuck in. All pretty straightforward until it came time to get the pump out. To say it was a bitch to get out is quite the understatement....
Next I made a bracket to clamp it in a vice, and stood it on the kitchen table. I have a very understanding wife..... In fact she had a needle and cotton buds out checking it was spotless! ACSD blanked. New gaskets in timer covers, governor cover, fuel cut solenoid etc. Fun part was the distributor. Back bolts off evenly and slowly to find gasket is so knackered it almost falls off, then slow and careful as I was, internals all fall in a heap as the distributor comes off. Marvelous. Remove all parts, fish out springs with tweezers, and reassemble. Problem is its very hard to tell if the shim under the pump plunger is located properly. In the end I found it best to put the shim in, place the plunger on top of it, then hold it in place as you put the plunger plates, spring seat, and spill ring in place. Then the springs and guides, new gasket, then distributor on. Next up the delivery valves. I did not disassemble. Simply removed, put new washer in, and bolted up again.
Reassembly was fun... The wife insisted on doing half of it, while I supervised! And a bloody good job she did too. Her being a smidge off 6' with skinny long arms and small hands, she can get in some places better than I can anyway! Setting timing obviously piece of cake with inlet manifold and injector pipes out of the way.
So job done. A moment of hesitation, then fires no problem and runs better than it ever did. And no leak. Happy days

Denso VE Kit from injectionpumps.co.uk. Helpful and replied quickly when I emailed to check it was what I was after, but found when you order there's a box asking for pump numbers and application etc anyway. Nice to know its definitely the right kit on the way when you're getting irritated at tripping over half your truck dumped in various places around the house...

Good work Crabby and Mrs Crabby. My wife would probably agree with me when I say if I let her rebuild anything she would probably drop all the bits on the floor and have them roll into the dust under the fridge or something. Things do seem to gang up on her, poor thing.

Anyway great news. :clap: Great teamwork. :thumbup:

Back