Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Injector seat removal

nathanrobo

Gents...

I've removed injector seats before, but this time 5 of them seem particularly hard to pull out. I've tried and M8 threaded rod that cuts a slight thread into the soft material of the seats and then using a kind of slider hammer arrangement, I've tried to pull them out.

On the second one that I tried the rod pulled through the threads cut into the seat. On the other cylinders 3 through to 6, I tried to pull them out without going too mad.

I've also tried to tap the top of the seat for No2 cyl on the basis that it may knock it loose.

I don't want to tap a thread out properly as I don't want swarf in the cylinders. Any other ideas??

The internal dia of the seat is about 7.4mm. I did think that if i could twist a long 8mm hss drill bit in, being careful not to cut any material, that I could then pull on the bit. Is this a good idea?

Sykes Pickavant do a tool that passes through the hole and then expands much like a rawlbolt works to grip and you can remove that way. From memory they do 2 versions which cover a different range of hole sizes. Not overly cheap for a one off use but they do work.

I managed to get mine out by bending a 'barb' on the end of a wire coat hanger and tugging them out from one side. They do rotate about themselves. Don't know if I was just lucky.

I managed to get mine out by bending a 'barb' on the end of a wire coat hanger and tugging them out from one side. They do rotate about themselves. Don't know if I was just lucky.

Got a feeling that you might have been fortunate. I took mine out during an overhaul a few years back and they came out really easily. The remaining 5 seem really stubborn :-( Still I'll get the right tool ordered up and they should come out.

You could well be right there Nat. Though they did take a good tug to get out, some came out with the injectors, some were left behind and stuck. Sounds like the tool is the way to go.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You could well be right there Nat. Though they did take a good tug to get out, some came out with the injectors, some were left behind and stuck. Sounds like the tool is the way to go.

Got the tool through today, unfortunately, it didn't pull any of the seats out :-(

I'm thinking of removing the cylinder head and taking it to a machine shop that I use in Northampton - Automotive Services (these guys gas flow drill, port, balance cranks etc. on the classic Fiat 500 engines I build).

Really annoying, particularly as I've put the new cam belt in with tensioner etc, so gotta take it all out again! Ummm

Try the coat hanger. It can't hurt, at least then you can say you tried my daft idea and oh well it didn't work. I don't suppose it will work but if you don't really want to take the head off you've got nothing to lose. Just a thought.

You can put a loop in it and put a bar through to form a lever to give a good pull. It takes a bit of trial and error to get the "barb" angle correct so it opens out to displace the washer rather than just pull through the hole.

Try the coat hanger. It can't hurt, at least then you can say you tried my daft idea and oh well it didn't work. I don't suppose it will work but if you don't really want to take the head off you've got nothing to lose. Just a thought.

You can put a loop in it and put a bar through to form a lever to give a good pull. It takes a bit of trial and error to get the "barb" angle correct so it opens out to displace the washer rather than just pull through the hole.

Like you say, can't hurt to try... I'll give it a go first thing in the morning. Don't want to take the head off, but it's gotta b done right!

Since I took it off the road, I've put 8 1/2K into it, to prep it for sale. Should have sold it 18 months ago on an "as is basis" :-(

What happened with the tool? I found adjusting the end protrusion on the tool had to be just so to get it to grip properly. I have also used the taper screw in type with slide hammer but preferred the Sykes one once it gripped.

The tool gripped the seats, but with any force the tool just came out leaving the seats behind!

The tool gripped the seats, but with any force the tool just came out leaving the seats behind!
What did you end up doing here Nathanrobo? I’ve got the same issue here.
Wondering if I can knock them out and just use a seat reamer to clean up any damage?

Back