Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Injectors Re-tipped on 1KZ-TE

fridayman

Garage
I got the injectors back with fresh tips and decided to put them back today. Before they were serviced they just squirted, but afterwards they were filling the workshop with diesel "smoke" when John tested them again. Massive difference in atomisation.
I was planning on taking the intake manifold off first and cleaning it out too, but Mr Toyo only got me 1 of the 4 identical gaskets... and I need the car to be running on Monday (this is my first time doing this).
Fortunately it is not a very complicated job and I managed to remember all the things that I undid last Sunday. It all went back together relatively smoothly. I was a little concerned about the carbon like residue on the injector seats (I did not remove these - apparently not an easy task). I don't exactly have gorilla hands but there was no way my fingers could reach in there, especially the back cylinder, and I was not happy using anything else to scrape the build-up off in case it scores the seat (I tried a piece of sharp wood, but didn't really work). The injector sits on two surfaces, right at the bottom with a heat shield (a small crush washer) and on the injector shoulder, so I thought it should be OK and carried on. It is worth mentioning that my injectors do not sit on copper washers like most mechanical diesel injectors (and like some diesel places sell them for this engine... :think: ).
With everything back together I fired it up. Well, when I say fired it up, I mean I drained 2 batteries, undid the fuel hose on injector #2, filled up the pump with diesel, melted a set of jumper leads onto the leisure battery that has been waiting in the garage... and fired it right up. And it feels so smoooooth.... and quiet... Took it out for a quick spin on a mix of roads and this is what I think so far:
- It is much smoother at town speeds.
- It feels like I am using much less throttle, especially at town speeds. It felt like I was coasting along quite a lot.
- On the motorway it felt marginally quicker on the pick-up but not much, although I only did a very short stretch. Again, smooooth :)
I will feed back on fuel economy when I've run a couple of tanks but I'm pretty sure there is going to be a significant improvement.

Not hard at all. I think you'd need to remove the crossover intake piece to gain space, along with the airbox side intake. Then remove the glow plug bar for space, crack loose the injector lines and move them out of the way. Remove the injectors themselves from the bottom nut, I think it's a 19mm, not the top. You don't want to separate the actual injector inside the head.

Overall, an easy job, take your time. If you have the KZ manual, check it out

Back