Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Installing a double din stereo and reversing camera

WoolyFox

Country Flag
england
Hi all,

Back again with another question and some advice after trying to find an answer on here and elsewhere on the web.

I have bought a £60 double din touchscreen android head unit from eBay and being an unbranded Chinese device the instructions are less than helpful. I also cannot find a wiring diagram for the factory stereo I have. I see there are lots of them for my 2000 Land Cruiser but I do not know the specific model number. I am sure somewhere will know which one I have (see photo below).

Also for the reversing camera wiring, what is the best way to get the cables from the head unit cubby to the rear and where to place the camera? I thought either below the number plate in the tailgate or in the bumper above the tow hitch.

Any advice and help is always greatly appreciated.

On my 80 I’ve run the camera into the pod that houses the number plate lights. Works well. Just follow the cable route under the carpet at the drivers side edge and through the side down and through the rubber into the lower tailgate.

As for the stereo, you may find there are easy to fit plugs or adapters with it that become apparent when you get in there. There may be a way to swap pins if need be.

I expect someone with a 100 will be able to give more of an insight but it probably depends on your head unit as much as anything. There are standard Din leads and adapters but to be honest, you should be able to match colours up if they look obvious.

For camera position, it depends on what you want to use it for. I see it as a must to see the trailer when hooking up, therefore a bumper position is no good as you would see the trailer straight on. Also the top of the rear hatch, above the window, is out because you cant see the trailer hook at all from there. That leaves the position between the license plate lamps. With a 170 degree camera you can just see the corners of the car, as well as the hook and also straight back. So, you can both see to connect the trailer and keep an eye on traffic behind. Sometimes I wish I had a camera positioned higher up to give a broader view and maybe keep an eye on cargo in the trailer, so 2 cameras with a switch would be perfect.

Back