Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Insurance Reccomendations

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
For the first time I have had an unsatisfactory quote for my 96 GX 80 from AF. Its a standard model in pretty straight condition.
Any recommendations of who to try for an alternative quote.

Andy

Tried Chris Knott, £40 cheaper but still way above what I had paid in the past. however I will try 2Gether as Chris has suggested and may end up back at CK.
With 4 4x4's and a yaris insured with AF i think they should have done better and after 12+ years it may well be time for a change.
Cheers for that Brian, lets see what happens over the next couple of days.

I found M+S on a price comparison website several years ago and am still with them. This years fully comp premium with 2 drivers and European breakdown cover (difficult to get on 18 year old car now) is £265. There is some weird rule in the insurance world that if you already insured with a company they cannot alter some of the terms on renewal, that's why I have to stay with them for the European Breakdown. 5000 mileage limit.

They make their money on unwary customers on renewal. My renewal came in at £330 but on telephoning them to get a better quote they "found" one, the £265, but with the same underwriter and identical cover so I guess they took less commission.

Let us know how you get on.

See you Andy
Frank

I've just renewed my insurance with Adrian Flux, quite reasonable at £325 for a heavily modified 80 with 6000 miles/year
I was pleased with that, I'm sure last year it was over £400.
I also renewed my breakdown cover and had confirmation that it will cover the vehicle for repatriation to the UK if needed.
I contacted 2gether before renewing and they were quite honest in saying they couldn't give a lower quote.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Do you know who underwrote it with AF ? They seem to be offloading everyone to makerstudy

Just insured the beemer with admiral, came in cheap with protected no claims etc etc. Tesco renewal came through and wanted over a grand!! New policy £185.

For the first time I have had an unsatisfactory quote for my 96 GX 80 from AF. Its a standard model in pretty straight condition.
Any recommendations of who to try for an alternative quote.

Andy

Hi Andy

I have found the NFU very good. Price is very reasonable, they covered me in Europe without limitation (many others have a 30 day limit) and gave me a green card for Morocco with no additional charge. You have to call your local office for a quote but well worth the effort I think.

Byron

I've heard many good things about NFU but not tried them yet. Just renewed with AF, £299.99 with breakdown cover into Europe. Underwriters are Markerstudy.

Edit-price was £299.99 not £399.99

Last edited:
Hi Andy

I have found the NFU very good. Price is very reasonable, they covered me in Europe without limitation (many others have a 30 day limit) and gave me a green card for Morocco with no additional charge. You have to call your local office for a quote but well worth the effort I think.

Byron
NFU won't insure me because I live in London, or at least the last time I asked they wouldn't.

For an unmodified vehicle you are better off using a comparison website searching several hundred companies at once . If nothing else it gives a price you can challenge our current insurer with .

Back