Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

INTERCOOLER BUILD ENQUIRY

I haven't got a fan fitted at the minute and I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference I have felt the intercooler after a motorway drive, just driving around town and while I was greenlaneing the inlet side was slightly warm but the outlet side was cold to the touch. I think you could fit a bigger fan an the 12 valve because the rocker cover is thinner

Yeah your right could add fan later if need be it's a hotter climate here so that might be a factor to consider?

Did you go for that Nissan intercooler in the end ? If not i'd be interested.

Hi there no I didn't.
Upon much research & cost factoring I bought a Isuzu trooper 3.1d top mount & scoop with also the plastic enclosure fitment.

Gonna get the scoop fitted first & then get the intercooler fit snug like factory setup in the trooper models. Got a quote for a guy to fabricates these together here now soon.

Bought the scoop, plastic guard & intercooler for €90 here so will have pictures soon for the build process shortly.

The aim of this project is to get keep the costs low & yet get added benefits to intercoolering.

Thanks for your interest

Last edited:
Hi there no I didn't.
Upon much research & cost factoring I bought a Isuzu trooper 3.1d top mount & scoop with also the plastic enclosure fitment.

Gonna get the scoop fitted first & then get the intercooler fit snug like factory setup in the trooper models. Got a quote for a guy to fabricates these together here now soon.

Bought the scoop, plastic guard & intercooler for €90 here so will have pictures soon for the build process shortly.

The aim of this project is to get keep the costs low & yet get added benefits to intercoolering.

Thanks for your interest

Cheers :) That's exactly what I'm going for after a few big budget purchases i've decided to keep the costs low and spend the savings on diesel/beer.

Look forward to seeing the build.

Interesting that the Nissan cooler pictured has a sensor attached , i don't know what it is and i thought the 80's pump was an entirely mechanical affair ?

Interesting that the Nissan cooler pictured has a sensor attached , i don't know what it is ...
The sensor is for the fan switch. When the cooler gets hot the fan starts automatically. The fan has its wiring and can be operated manualy. All you have to do is install a knob and its up to you when to start/stop it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Spent the day firstly cleaning out the intercooler. Spooled out lots of grease. A clean intercooler should yield better results.

IMG_4644.JPG IMG_4645.JPG IMG_4646.JPG IMG_4647.JPG

Then choose to take off all the brackets as they are in the way right now & chances are new ones are gonna have to be made to secure the intercooler down.

IMG_4667.JPG

Last edited:
Next preceded to cut out a template of the scoop to measure out the fitment on top & inside the hood. The tricky part is getting the fitment perfect to have the plastic wind guard to fit snug on the intercooler plastic enclosure.
At this point I think it's best to fit the scoop without cutting the hood until the intercooler is all secure & plumbed in.
This way most likely to get it right!!

IMG_4666.JPG IMG_4669.JPG IMG_4670.JPG

Last edited:
Took a rough picture to how the hood would look as it closes and roughly how the placement of intercooler is gonna sit.

Height wise is not a issue.
Placement from the inlet manifold to the turbo is just barely gonna be possble.

So much so ......had to take the 2 litre oil catch out taking it back to stock temporarily to make room on that side & reroute it according after.

IMG_4663.JPG

Last edited:
Width wise looking at 50cm wide with plastic cover guard.

Excuse the poor picture.

IMG_4671.JPG

Hi guys given the car in this week to the custom shop for a top mount intercooler mod & custom stainless exhaust system. Firstly chosen to modify the 3.1 Isuzu Trooper 3.1L intercooler shown here.

5A169DD0-9A05-46FE-B3B3-95501279035D-3092-000016ADFD0805FD.jpeg

Looking good so far, Dervis :thumbup:

Thank you Clive

Latest update is a change of plans.
Decided to redo the inlet manifold to maximise the flow to the intercooler.
Cut the old narrow inlet manifold as seen on IH8MUD from other members that shared better flow.

IMG_0497.JPG

Update so far to newer spec model :)

Intercooler diameter hole is 60mm & the inlet manifold mod hole diameter is 65mm so should yields better results.

IMG_0493.JPG IMG_0494.JPG

Update this morning looking quite impressive the way that's it's all coming together :)

The plan to eliminate restriction flow all the way through from engine to intercooler and then intercooler to turbo is the focus here. From the turbo having their on a 3 inch exhaust Should yield the best result possible.

The intercooler size looks just perfect. It's fitment looks spot on.

It may seem a little small but it fits perfectly & in the end I feel the restrictions are more important then a few extra inches to a larger intercooler.

IMG_0501.JPG IMG_0502.JPG

Last edited:
Back