Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Interesting test of 4 wheel drive vehicles

Ha ha, rollers under all 4 wheels: Fail

But he had a winch.... Pass :lol:

They should have done that Clive. That would have been the ultimate. I think the reason it didn’t like the brick was stalling the torque converter in high range. If it had been put in low range it would have climbed it at just up from tickover.

They should have done that Clive. That would have been the ultimate. I think the reason it didn’t like the brick was stalling the torque converter in high range. If it had been put in low range it would have climbed it at just up from tickover.

I thought that too, but I watched the clip with the sound off, so i don't know if there was a commentary about whether hi or Lo was used, lockers and so forth.

IMO, 4WD is a misnomer with no lockers, in open diff mode, one wheel in the mud spinning and the other 3 waiting for Christmas to come, just ain’t 4WD.

Sound wouldn’t have helped as I think they were from your neck of the woods not mine. Polish maybe? Still, I thought it a pretty good demonstration.

I thought that too, but I watched the clip with the sound off, so i don't know if there was a commentary about whether hi or Lo was used, lockers and so forth.

IMO, 4WD is a misnomer with no lockers, in open diff mode, one wheel in the mud spinning and the other 3 waiting for Christmas to come, just ain’t 4WD.
Might as well call a regular car or 4wd with unlocked diff 1wd then:tearsofjoy:. Point is, under normal circumstances, power goes to all 4 wheels as against a 2wd when it only goes to 2 wheels. It’s a description of what happens under normal circumstances, not when stuck!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Might as well call a regular car or 4wd with unlocked diff 1wd then:tearsofjoy:. Point is, under normal circumstances, power goes to all 4 wheels as against a 2wd when it only goes to 2 wheels. It’s a description of what happens under normal circumstances, not when stuck!

I understand that well enough, moggy.

But if a wheel ain’t going round, it’s not being driven as a matter of fact, hence the misnomer.

Just sayin’

Last edited:
Don’t forget the VC (if fitted) and LSD’s. A VC means you do have drive to both axles without locking the CD. Similarly a LSD will mean you don’t lose all drive to a spinning wheel on one side. As said above though, a ‘4wd’ with fully open diffs can quickly become 1wd.

In today's world 4x4 means it can drive over speed humps without damaging the exhaust - just .
And means that potholes are a minor nuisance rather than a serious tyre consuming airbag detonating expensive menace.

I understand that well enough, moggy.

But if a wheel ain’t going round, it’s not being driven as a matter of fact, hence the misnomer.

Just sayin’
Yeh I know what your meaning but I think it’s a rather literal interpretation. The point you make is a valid one though often lost on defender drivers who think they have ‘4wd’ when the centre diff is locked and then get confused when they get stuck on a slippery verge!!

Back