Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Intermittent Sluggishness 1997 HDJ80 1HD-FT

Also just just check your injector seat seal for weeping. Other than that maybe try a fuel system flush - the type that you catch via the fuel return not back into the tank.

just another thought, hard to check but what are the smoke signals while experiencing the power loss, lean, medium, heavy or no change. you could always run a flexi hose up to the drivers window lol

just another thought, hard to check but what are the smoke signals while experiencing the power loss, lean, medium, heavy or no change. you could always run a flexi hose up to the drivers window lol
I've not noticed any smoke at all at any point tbh.

I'll check the other bits over the weekend and post my findings.

Wasjust thinking if it was turbo related then you would likely be getting more smoke thats all.

Wasjust thinking if it was turbo related then you would likely be getting more smoke thats all.
@IRLGW , I drove this morning without the fuel cap fitted and that seems to have done the trick as far as I can tell, but it's a bit early to tell and I don't want to jinx it. I've stripped the fuel cap and it didn't seem too dirty, but I gave it a scrub and clean anyway as it couldn't hurt while I had it apart. I'll drive it to work on Monday without the cap fitted and then home again with the cap fitted and see if there is much of a difference and report back in due course.

Thank you for your help and input!

Looking at your picture of the fuel filter head on the vehicle and more specifically the fuel hose with the jubilee clip....... one problem that can happen is by nature a jubilee clip does not have an equal clamping force round 360 degrees .....better to use a proper fuel hose clamp....I have seen jubilees cause intermittent problems on fuel systems despite being tight .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looking at your picture of the fuel filter head on the vehicle and more specifically the fuel hose with the jubilee clip....... one problem that can happen is by nature a jubilee clip does not have an equal clamping force round 360 degrees .....better to use a proper fuel hose clamp....I have seen jubilees cause intermittent problems on fuel systems despite being tight .
@Grimbo Noted! I'll swap it out just in case, thank you.

So I've driven without the fual cap fitted and I'm not getting any of the issues I've had before i.e. fuel starvation, intermittent lack of power etc. I don't want to leave the cap off all the time as I don't want condensation building up inside the tank and causing issues further down the line.

Now on to the breather hose. I can't see how a blocked breather hose would come in to play as top of the hose is visible just on the inside of the maint inlet which doesn't bypass the fuel cap; which is what I initially thought it would be for; therfore, what purpose does it serve other than letting air out of the tank as it fills with diesel?

Would fitting an in line fuel pump e.g. Walbro overcome the negative pressure in the tank which seems to be causing the issues I've been having?

I still want to get to the bottom as to why this is happening in the first place.

On toyodiy it looks like the tank has a breather tube i.e. not the one you can see terminating just beneath the filler cap which, as you say, is to let air out of the tank when filling. The breather connection is on top of the tank so should be easy to find and from memory just leads into a chassis rail where the venting takes place.

P.S. My memory is more complete now. The breather hose is in fact on top of the tank and can be found by crawling underneath. Sounds like it's blocked and would be interested to know. You should not need a pump for road use on a healthy 80.

P.S. There may well be a one way valve in the breather hose system to stop fuel coming out of the pipe and only letting air flow one way into the tank.

P.S. There may well be a one way valve in the breather hose system to stop fuel coming out of the pipe and only letting air flow one way into the tank.
@frank rabbets I crawled underneath and found the breather line where you said. I removed the breather valve and from what I could tell, it had been installed back to front. I went for a drive without it fitted and no dramas then put it back on the way it had the least ammount of resistence when I sucked on it, therefore allowing air to be sucked into the tank and no issues when I took it for a drive again. So fingers crossed that is the end of it.

Thank you for your help and your input is greatly appreceated!
20191112_195320.jpg

Back