Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Introducing Lilly Bird

Neighbour commented that lilly bird was a good overlanding choice into africa and the middle east at the moment..... Just slap a UN sign on the side and top, no one will say a word. Even visa and paperwork is optional.

Humm.

Also, a bit of deep cycle dual purpose..... Just hope the rest of the split charge bits show up in time. Otherwise its going to be EHU to EHU on the halfords btty charger next week.

20160520_110732.jpg

Which split charge KB? And which battery?

Which split charge KB? And which battery?

The battery is a hankook 105ah/900cca. With a 4yr warranty and 500cycle capacity.

Of all the stuff i could order and get in real quick, this looked like the best option. I wanted a dual purpose one, just having the one in front ( its a varta 850cca but 4yr old ) is a bit unsettling. Plus, needed something in the 100ah as we found out in the new forest our mobicool fridge really is made for high capacity deep cycle fridges. Am going to charge this for 24 hrs. Then put the fridge on it ( in the garage ). Lets see what life we get :). Longer term want to look at a proper optima for the 'house' side. And leave this one in the engine as a parallel to the starter. Plus this looks like the top whack of the range wherein I can still use the ctek dc2dc on its own without also needing the smart charger.

For now, went with the ebay £30 split's. Will try and see if I can get a ctek in the US when I am there sometime later this year.

Regards

Nothing about this in the manual and can't workout what this is beyond a prefilter fuel filter. Ideas?
20160522_113911.jpg
Its connected in series to the fuel filter.

20160522_114003.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Water separator?

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Looks like that's exactly what it is. Now to workout service life and maintenance needed for this thing. Wonder why is not mentioned anywhere in the books, it clearly is a factory fit.

Regards

Might not actually be. The wire coming out the filter is for the warning light on the dash that the water level is high. I don't see a wire coming out the unit on the right.

Service is normally just draining the water when it's full. Perhaps it's just another pre-filter for courser stuff?

Might not actually be. The wire coming out the filter is for the warning light on the dash that the water level is high. I don't see a wire coming out the unit on the right.

Service is normally just draining the water when it's full. Perhaps it's just another pre-filter for courser stuff?
Looks to me like it has 3 pipes on it, fuel in, fuel out and…drain perhaps?

Drove 580 miles today, on BP ultimate diesel. Looks to have run at 25mpg. Haven't done any accurate metrics on regular diesel yet but will get around to that in the next few days. I need to do another 400 mile trip this weekend. So, don't know about milage. But the engine definitely sounds better running on this stuff.

Regards,

I've got a "big can" type fuel filter like that on my 1995 HZJ 80, OEM, but I don't have the smaller filter in your photo.

I'm told it's a filter and water trap in one, and they replace the element (and of course remove any water) at each oil change. It may be OTT, but I don't think it's too expensive. I'm also told there's never been any water found in there, but when traveling in foreign lands, you don't know what you'll be buying till it's too late.

Lovely truck, IMO, the only thing on the planet that beats an 80, not envious at all... :D

How did you get on? Did you find it slow going?

Looks Like u have been out exploring already - does it warent a trip report?

I also noticed iced that you have some new boots - amazing how this little change makes a difference. Nice!

Nice one KB!! Really glad you got a cool machine!!!!

Does it have extractors on it? If not get some Genies fitted. They make a nice difference. :)

How did you get on? Did you find it slow going?

It has been great. We did almost 2k miles and it dis not miss a heartbeat. Took a few pics will post up a trip report soon.

There were places where I had to drop a gear to keep steady pace but nothing too frequent. Going up and down constantly one certainly notices the lack of turbo, but if you know it and drive to it, no problems. This was all ofcourse in the highlands on the a and b roads. On the long motorway runs, no problems hitting and holidng an easy steady 70.

One thing though. . Fully loaded up, the back end did drop almost 20mm lower than the front. Wasent just tyre pressure ( ran 40psi at back and 38 in front ). Didnt seem to impact handling in anyway.

Did need 4x4 and low range a couple of times, did a few trails ( 18 miles in all) in the badrallach area. But otherwise stayed on whatever the pavement was.

Thoroughly enjoyed the drive.

Regards

Looks Like u have been out exploring already - does it warent a trip report?

I also noticed iced that you have some new boots - amazing how this little change makes a difference. Nice!

Huge difference! The bfg are very nice to drive with and actually feel grippy compared to the general tyre tracktred which was on here before.

Will post a trip report soon.

Nice one KB!! Really glad you got a cool machine!!!!

Does it have extractors on it? If not get some Genies fitted. They make a nice difference. :)

Thanks Roy!

No extractors as yet, its pretty much straight factory with very few mods on ( electric windows and tow bar electrics being the highlight of those mods ). I was thinking of getting something of an improvement for the exhaust already. Know where one might get these genies in the UK?

Also looking at options on making the air in flow easier.

Regards

Hey KB

I got my extractors straight in from Gennie in OZ. Speak to Barry at waypoint tours as he runs the 1hz with extractors and freeflow exhaust. West coast offroad will be able to source it for you too.

Have fun :)

Been thinking about what and how best to handle the battery and electrics side of things.

The first problem is that there is literally nothing on the driver side above the wheel arch, no bracket or anything to support the battery tray and the tie down bracket. So spoke with a local fab shop, and they are going to try and make something up. The aim being to end up with a metal base I can drop the toyota plastic battery tray onto and a metal loop at the back that can be an anchor for the battery tie down / restraint bracket. Should have something there in the next few days. The PO had used the body side wall in this space to drop in some electrics already, and I'm hoping to not need to move them around at all!

Back