Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Introducing Lilly Bird

You could probably use the oil from mine in your diesels lol. Changed every year and does 2.5 to 3 k. Comes out clean. (Has around a 9k interval iirc)

Even modern diesel engines the oil looks like that after a couple of thousand miles.

Odd thing happened today. Went out to the garage to startup Lilly bird and the central locking didnt unlock. The driver door itself opened, so was able to get in but had no electric at all. Might have a flat battery. Can't be due to lack of use, it does drive a few times every week and i haven't had any symptoms of battery losing life.

Unfortunately opening up the hood inside the garage is impossible. There is no way to even get to the front unless I crawl up under the truck all the way from the back. Will try and tow it out with the 120 tomorrow morning and take a look.

No lights no nothing no ignition or interior lights or anything. So pretty sure there is no electric. The aux circuit is fine though. So whatever is going on is isolated to the engine side of things.

Check all fuses KB. Inside as well as under bonnet. I think maybe the 'dome' fuse. Check battery voltage at the battery(ies) is at least 12v though this is probably going to be ok. .

Thanks for the pointers Rich.

It looks like the negative cable from battery to body has lost its ability to conduct electric. Just replaced that 30cm length with another piece from some welding cable I had (from wiring up the aux battery ) and all's well.

Wonder what would cause the cable to do entirely dud like that.

Poor crimp, burned connection, corrosion, I've even seen copper cables on a boat swell in the middle where salt water has got in and eaten the copper into a ball of green fuzz!
Don't know until you pull it apart, put a load across it and check the voltage across certain points.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a 100w semi-flex solar panel is wired in to the ctek d250 via an andersen plug, when we park up. The panel is stored inside on a shelf right up against the roof at the back.

But its hassle to deploy and its not really teethered onto anything when put out. Being semi flexible, it bends quite easy and will fly around. At one point I almost mounted it permanently on the bonnet - but couldnt bring myself to drill holes in there.

2017-11-12 23.57.44.jpg

This is how the truck sits at the moment, and I do have a fair bit of roof real estate across the roof bars, so thinking of just mounting the solar panel to a suitably sized marine ply board and mounting it on the roof and wiring it in permanently.

Any recommendations /alternatives ? Also, what wood would be best here, and how should I best seal it around ?

Hello Geek just read about your truck very nice indeed the plugs in the engine bay you were asking about if you have not found out what they are yet they look like the plugs for the AHC system on the 100 series as i have removed mine that would be my best guess and as for a solar mount have you thought about sheet persplex weight should be about the same but will last longer If its twice the price but lasts three times as long Bargain have fun building ta steve

2018-05-16 13.35.59.jpg

Was back home on Wed morning and true to expectations, dropped in the battery and first turn startup with the lovely growl.

Its been sitting in an entirely locked up dry barn, and i had washed it down as best as i could before getting it in there, however after 6 months standing there is the odd rust spot starting to show up around some screws in the engine bay. Looks ok under, except the brake discs in the front and the drums at the back - so much rusting going on. Humm. Will need to look at this.

In the mean time, sitting in a cafe around the corner from where its being MOT'd.

No problems on the MOT. Advisory that the driver side front hub seal maybe leaking and needs attention. I seem to recall @Trevor predicted this sometime back :)

Just saw your comment re some of the rust showing. I'm having a good experience with the Krown rust preventative in a can for this sort of thing atm. It seems to dissolve the old rust to the point where you can wipe it away.

Apologies for not keeping this thread updated..a lot of water under the bridge since end 2018.

A quick question first, what is everyone doing for recovery points ? I want to replace the tie-downs loops in the front. And add something to the back (maybe a tow hitch to the back bumper ).

Looking for recommend products.

I thought that the "Pigs Tail" points were suppose to be pretty good??

By sheer coincidence - I was also thinking about some recover points for the rear of my 80 series as the previous owner removed them to install the tow bar.

Will be watching for replies with interest.... (Maybe a group buy?)

Wanda has these heavy duty red front recovery points that FNB 4WD made in Oz. They shouldn’t be too difficult for someone to fabricate.
663597D1-54B7-4ECF-9017-1662D853C24A.png

7EBABD1C-B94A-465D-BF25-CE9924F08891.png

@GeekOKent I've got some recovery points I imported from aus that I got for my 80 but never fitted, do you know if the mounting holes for the bumper for the 80 and 105 are the same. If so I'll let them go.

Driving along the M11 on Sunday, headlights on... Got a surprise, it looked as if the batter, timing belt, oil and check-engine lights on the dash were going to come on, at the same time. But they had a think about it and gave up (?). Literally a 2 second thing. Started to get there but not quite and then just went off. They never got to full bright ON.

Wondering what that might be? Alternator ?

The trucks been doing about 120 miles a week, entirely motorway traffic, starts on the dot. The main battery in 16 months old, the leisure battery is on a ctek d250 , and is well over 4 years old (and due a replacement) it barely holds voltage. (This is a 12v system, factory shipped with 1 passenger side battery ).

What could it be ?

Back