Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Introducing Lilly Bird

When the alternator on my 100 went, all/most of the warning lights on the dash cam on and stayed on. I suspect I might have driven a couple of miles before I noticed as I was driving on the motorway in the mountains in Austria and was probably giving more attention the the road, traffic and views than the dash.

It could be alternator related. Perhaps a loose connection - hence the flicker. Or perhaps its an indication that the alternator/rectifier/voltage controller might be on the edge of failing but are not quite there yet. Suggest you isolate the leisure battery side for now. Then check for loose connections round the alternator, perhaps following the cables coming off it make sure they are firmly attached at the other end. Perhaps look for any possible signs of arcing/sparking near the rectifier/controller. Also, you could check the voltage coming into the battery - if the controller is failing, the voltage could be higher than it should and it could fry the battery.

If there is nothing obvious, it might be worth having it looked at by a electrician. If the alternator fails, it could go without warning and while you could drive for a few miles on battery power (I drove behind a recovery truck for about 5?? kms to a local garage), it could leave you stranded and needing recovery.

An after thought, my alternator was replaced with a refurbished unit. When I got back, I had the starter motor rebuilt - preventative maintenance.

When we first brought our 105 we had an intermittent fault that only seem to occur on misty English mornings where various dash lights would flicker on for a few seconds and then go off. Engine didn't miss a beat so i ignored it. It finally came to a head in northern Kenya when it did the same thing but this time the engine cut out and wouldn't start agin. We spent 3 hours walking in lion country before getting picked up by the army and given a dressing down.

Turned out to be an earth fault.

Anyway probably worth getting it sorted now........

Out with the old, in with the new. This is what two years of service from an air filter looks like.

IMG_20210821_105614.jpg

With the air box open, I noticed daylight in the side toward the engine, towards the bottom. Wondering if I have lost the little dust collector thing at some point?

There is nothing there.... The 17703C bit, is it?
Screenshot_20210821-170610.jpg
IMG_20210821_112027.jpg

Doing a bit of research looks like 17703-50020 is the part number I need here. Along with a metal clip.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back