Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

IOO Series bought unseen of ebay (I warned Him)

Even in Australia the 80 series commands a large chunk of cash - the one we saw was in fair condition and little rust and lots of accessories. Worn 2nd gear synchro which I would personally have just lived with. But all this with 320,000km (200,000mi) on it was AUD 9000 (GBP 4,700).

As for the 100 series the bottom end of the market starts at AUD 20,000+.

Well to cap off the thread, The Boss at the Marina spent another weekend looking at 100 series, And arrived at work this morning In this.. 1 yrs mot, 60,000 On the clock Came from a dealership /Warranty.To me inside and out it looks new. AND The same price as that first 100 he went to see, And it doesn't have Gaffer tape on the seats, or Bubbling Rust....Every toy on it, a lot of car for £4995... Bargain.... Its a big old lump when your in it.....DSCF9899.JPG DSCF9900.JPG

Oh well, hope it doesn’t get electrical gremlins.

Oh well, hope it doesn’t get electrical gremlins.
Im quite glad he didn't get a Land cruiser to be Honest Rich.. If ever it went wrong He would be Shuffling over to my Yard.. "Erm you know that Land cruiser you recommended"....I can hear it Now..

I have a 2007 ML with 110k on the clock as a second car and from experience, great car to drive but when things break you are locked into main dealer.

Recently the gearbox gear selector stopped working. I tried rebuilding the broken nylon innards. A second hand part can not be reprogrammed as the unit is locked to the car.

Considering that all it does is take the signal from the gear selector lever and rotate a spline on the gearbox. The bill to replace the unit was £1k.

Mercedes are over engineered, 4 control units alone on the gearbox, and you are tied to main dealers if anything serious goes wrong.

Could have had mine for £3500 :)

Helen's boss had one of those Merc's it was so good at breaking down she ended up using her sons ex post office small van until the main dealer agreed to buy it back .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When I was first looking for an LC in 2016, I think one of the forum members had a 100 (anniversary edition?) with about 130k on the clock that he had painstakingly restored and was selling for what now in retrospect looks like a very good price. Think around £12k? That would have been a good investment for the right person. Must admit that I wouldn't like anything wider than my 120 on the local lanes here in West Wales though.

A Kia Sportage (please do not judge me was my wife's choice) rental I had on holiday produced many butt clenching moments on the rural roads of Essex so can only imagine how a 120 would be!

A Kia Sportage (please do not judge me was my wife's choice) rental I had on holiday produced many butt clenching moments on the rural roads of Essex so can only imagine how a 120 would be!
You learn to drive at a relaxed pace on roads this narrow, whatever your size of vehicle. In Pembrokeshire you get high banks (flying hedges) on either side of the road as well, just to cut visibility further...

You learn to drive at a relaxed pace on roads this narrow, whatever your size of vehicle. In Pembrokeshire you get high banks (flying hedges) on either side of the road as well, just to cut visibility further...
If you drive at a too relaxed pace in Essex you will lose your alloys. But yes I know what you mean. Despite growing up in England, I didn't learn to drive until I emigrated here (Australia). The narrowest thing I'd driven on was my driveway before I drove in the UK.

The narrowest thing I'd driven on was my driveway before I drove in the UK.
Had some relations over from Canada in the summer. Similar situation. Think they found the driving aspect of their stay rather tense, judging by the way they subconsciously gripped the seats as we went into corners. All perfectly safe, of course.

Back