Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Irish BJ40 Resto

Jim40

Garage
Country Flag
ireland
Hi everyone,

I've been encouraged to start a thread on my 40, so here goes...

I was tipped off about this 40 last year by a friend who knew that I was desperate for one. This truck was in a container, complete, but very rusty. However, it's an original Irish truck and local to me so I had to save it...

The plan is a complete nut and bolt rebuild, but I have a baby girl (Hi to all the Dads out there) so this could be a very long running thread.

I've finally got it down to a rolling chassis. I'm hoping to get the chassis blasted, repaired and painted before Christmas so that I can make a start at the rebuild in 2017.

I'm not a mechanic or a fabricator, and I'm much better at taking things apart than I am at putting them back together, so keep the expectations low.

Just a few pics to give you a flavour. Comments and abuse welcome.

Stage 3.JPG
Stage 6.JPG
IMG_5380.JPG

Best of luck with the build Jim, been on the hunt for a 40 (or a 60) for a while now, but they've gone crazy here for price in the last few years. Great to see a local truck being saved. what part of the country are you in?

Good luck Jim, hope your a young man !
Can't really see how bad/good your sheet metal is but there's a very useful guy on Ebay at the moment breaking 40's from Portugal and seems to have most things (smartshamu) he even has a stainless steel rear tub, having experience of repairing rusted panels it's cheaper in the long run to replace.
Crack on and keep us in the loop.
Bob

good luck Jim! I would love one of these :) keep up the good work :)

Hi Jim,

I shall follow the build with interest although I have to say your BJ doesn't look too bad as a starting point. You appear to have some, but not all, of the usual places where the rot shows but I am aware that photos can often be deceptive.

You may get more 40 guys following your build if you include this in the '40 series' section rather than 'your garage'

Regards,

Hi Jim good look with it love the 40s hope you get the job on it's way ok keep the pics comeing from Tony a fj40 nut .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Jim good look with it love the 40s hope you get the job on it's way ok keep the pics comeing from Tony a fj40 nut .

Best of luck with the build Jim, been on the hunt for a 40 (or a 60) for a while now, but they've gone crazy here for price in the last few years. Great to see a local truck being saved. what part of the country are you in?
Bob, I was lucky to find this one. I'm a big fan of the 60 too, but my Dad had a 40 when I was young and I've got great memories of it. I'm in County Limerick.

Thanks for the encouragement lads. I'll post some pics of the chassis post blasting... if there's anything left!!!

Going to follow thread. Love the 40, would love to have one eventually but they're crazy money here. I'll be starting on my 70 in next few weeks. There's a few nice 60's for sale around Europe atm, saw a nice one for sale in Germany on auto scout for €2k

I think I said at the start that this would be a slow burner. Well, Rome wasn't built out of hay... Chassis finally blasted; and it's not as bad as it looks.

BJ40 Chassic Blasted.JPG BJ40 Rear Hanger.JPG

I'm in Athenry if you need any 'help'

Hi thelal, thanks for getting in touch. I'm no longer in Limerick. Now living in the UK. Still ferrying bits of my 40 over with every visit. In hindsight, it would have been easier if I had left it in one piece.

So what has happened since 2018? In truth, not a lot, but I've decided to stop buying food and clothes for my children in an effort to get it finished in the next 12 months. I havn't re-built the 'B' engine; I've just re-installed it with some new engine mounts. It ran when I took it out, so fingers crossed it'll do the business. It's not shiny - I just need it to run. New rear main seal, ring gear and clutch ready to go on before the original 4-speed box is re-fitted. Little by little...

Attachments

• Engine In .jpg
    Engine In .jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 11
Back