Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is This Hardtop Bracket Correct?

ron1

Country Flag
united_states
Taking apart a 1968 FJ40, and I wonder if the bracket on the hard top is correct?

It was bolted to the windshield frame with 4 bolts going from front to rear of the vehicle.

There are threaded holes in the top of the windshield frame similar the the other top bolts throughout the rest of the vehicle. That makes more sense to me, otherwise I don't see how the hardtop would pull down against the windshield and squeeze the seal.

With the bracket installed on the top, there is no way to bolt to the top of the frame.
20201227_165924.jpg
20201227_165936.jpg
20201227_170433.jpg

The bolt holes look correct to me although I only fitted my hardtop once to transport it to its new owner.

I seem to remember that when fitting it, I had to locate but not tighten all the HT bolts to get it to fit and then tighten down all the side bolts and it pulled those front bolts into the right position and compressed the seal. I think the key was getting the interlocking panels/bars that sit above the side windows between the side panels and the windscreen sides located properly and then fitting the interlocking cover.

I do remember that it took time to do and that it appeared there was no way that it was going to fit/work but it did.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Rodger

Thanks for the response.

Didn't look correct, glad it is.

Don't know the history of this vehicle.

Back