Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Isolating rattle sunroof headliner issue

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Been extremely inoying guys having a rattle or two whilst driving when the revs are low.

Been a focus to isolate the issues here & there on the car for a while now & rectify them accordingly.

I know these may be an issue for others if you here being that these vehicles are 20 plus years now.

In this attempt without having to take the headliner off is there a simple way to fix this rattle at all?

The rattle lessens when I press the centre light switch behind the sunroof upwards.
I guessing it's something to do with the "Support B" illustrated panel brace as I have placed a 1.5 folded cardboard piece between this & the roof where there is space & it's almost cured 95%.

Although this is a test I would like to know if there is a proper fix anyone has tonunderstanding this issue.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Thanks

IMG_4467.JPG

I suffered this for a long while, forever found myself pushing the headliner forward to stop the rattle. It turned out to be the wind deflector, the rubber pads that should have been there were worn away. I cut a piece of rubber and coated one side with glue and after placing the pads on top of the original worn out pad closed the roof and let them dry, not a sound since.

regards

Dave

I suffered this for a long while, forever found myself pushing the headliner forward to stop the rattle. It turned out to be the wind deflector, the rubber pads that should have been there were worn away. I cut a piece of rubber and coated one side with glue and after placing the pads on top of the original worn out pad closed the roof and let them dry, not a sound since.

regards

Dave

Hi Dave thanks for your advice.
Any chance you can allaborate on the wind deflector part?
Just to get a visual of what you are referring to exactly to have a look.

Thanks

With the roof all the way open (slid back), you can see the two arms that lift the wind deflector. If you push down on the wind deflector you can see the aforementioned arms 'land' on rubber pads, one on either side. The pads on mine were worn away, but you can see where they were.

regards

Dave

With the roof all the way open (slid back), you can see the two arms that lift the wind deflector. If you push down on the wind deflector you can see the aforementioned arms 'land' on rubber pads, one on either side. The pads on mine were worn away, but you can see where they were.

regards

Dave

Ok Dave will have a look...... thanks

On my sunroof, the corner piece of the trim around the frame (the cream coloured trim visible from inside the car) rattles. I cant remove it for fear of breaking the retainer clip for it, but it's a loose fit, rattles and drives me nuts.

I've got some tissue wedged in there to stop it rattling but a proper fix would be better.

How are we to remove this piece, just lever it with a flat blade driver? I really don't want to break it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
On my sunroof, the corner piece of the trim around the frame (the cream coloured trim visible from inside the car) rattles. I cant remove it for fear of breaking the retainer clip for it, but it's a loose fit, rattles and drives me nuts.

I've got some tissue wedged in there to stop it rattling but a proper fix would be better.

How are we to remove this piece, just lever it with a flat blade driver? I really don't want to break it.

Mine came loose & the retainer clip got stuck inside the housing Clive the other day. I guess the plastics have become weaker over time.

Was a quick fix placed silicone inside in & around clip & glued with activator spray around both corner ends. Job done with a little masking tape for a few hours.

Still on a mission to find some rattles in the roof. Went around the rear & tightened up everything with a screw.

Hi guys .........

Had another look today it's seems the sliding sunroof blind effects the vibration from opening to closing.
Took the side headliner partcailly down from the sunroof liner corners & checked all the screws & bolts no issues there.
It's been very hard to isolate the vibration but when I lift the closing blinder up whilst open to the rear it stops / lessons in noise.
If I press up upon on the centre interior light the vibrations stops again.
I think it's something here but just cannot isolate the anoring issue from this standpoint.

Any further ideas appricated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Been extremely inoying guys having a rattle or two whilst driving when the revs are low.

Been a focus to isolate the issues here & there on the car for a while now & rectify them accordingly.

I know these may be an issue for others if you here being that these vehicles are 20 plus years now.

In this attempt without having to take the headliner off is there a simple way to fix this rattle at all?

The rattle lessens when I press the centre light switch behind the sunroof upwards.
I guessing it's something to do with the "Support B" illustrated panel brace as I have placed a 1.5 folded cardboard piece between this & the roof where there is space & it's almost cured 95%.

Although this is a test I would like to know if there is a proper fix anyone has tonunderstanding this issue.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Thanks

View attachment 112612

Hi Michael, I appreciate this response is 7 years too late but the info may help someone else.
I had exactly your issue - sunroof rattle that stops when you press on the forward overhead light. The problem was a broken rivet on the pressed metal plate that holds the light assembly. Simply pop rivet in a new rivet in and the problem is fixed ... after you remove the headliner - and that is a major pain in the backside. Its theoretically possible you could access the broken rivet via the light assembly hole in the headliner - Its just that I needed the headliner off to find the problem (The light assembly plate is attached to the sunroof assembly via two rivets.)

Unfortunately there are many many possible sources of 80 series sunroof rattles, I'm chasing another one now. I wish I didn't have a sunroof ...

Back