Its a bit stiff going into 3rd..

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
IMG-20190204-WA0002.jpg
gearbox hub drive.jpg
... this might have something to do with it..

That's a lucky one to extract off the main shaft!
Are you going to change the bearings while you're in there?
All looks good work goin on.. Well done man! :thumbup:

Wow, what a mess...

I wish I had the courage to strip my box down, the bearings on the shaft (1st and 2nd gear) have been rasping a bit all through the 13 years of my ownership, it’s not got any worse in that time and all the gears work OK, so I’ve learned to live with it.

Brave man going in there Mike :thumbup:

What’s the box like for a rebuild? I have pretty poor synchros in 1 and 2 and I can fell 3 getting a bit rough too. I’m tossing up whether to buy a second hand box or do a rebuild, but I feel like either way will be time and money.

Hi Opie. There is an "early" stiff synchro box or a later one which has improved design. If you have the early one changing the synchros will make no difference. Been there and done it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The synchros in the later 80 box may have been improved but aren’t problem free. The 100 series box is supposed to be improved further.

I have a 100 series box and it's fault free I have to say. I just need to find time to put it back in the truck sometime. I did one trip with it and it was a sheer delight. But the current one isn't so bad that it makes me want to do the work

That's a lucky one to extract off the main shaft!
Are you going to change the bearings while you're in there?
All looks good work goin on.. Well done man! :thumbup:
thanks mate.
this is a pals gearbox. he just wants it back to good health as cheaply as possible. its not a project box.
its always been quite and they feel fine so will be staying.

What’s the box like for a rebuild? I have pretty poor synchros in 1 and 2 and I can fell 3 getting a bit rough too. I’m tossing up whether to buy a second hand box or do a rebuild, but I feel like either way will be time and money.
its not too bad. make sure you correctly identify which gear is which and you know where you are on the diagram before you start ordering parts.
take your time.
be very methodical.

Thanks for the tips on box types guys. I have been trying to decide what is better between a 2nd hand unit and a rebuild. Is the 100 box still an H151? Is it a straight swap on the 1HZ? Thanks again for your info.

Well done, I recon that deserves a round of applause :clap::clap::clap:

Cracking job Mike.. Im inside my Axle at the Mo.. Frightens me to Death, Too many 'Coggy' Things... Iv also got to the age where i put things that i know are important on the bench, Then within 10mins iv completely forgotten where they come from... And convinced someone else has left them there:doh:

Cracking job Mike.. Im inside my Axle at the Mo.. Frightens me to Death, Too many 'Coggy' Things... Iv also got to the age where i put things that i know are important on the bench, Then within 10mins iv completely forgotten where they come from... And convinced someone else has left them there:doh:
Thanks Higgy.
The rear axle? I was stripping one the other day and thought of you and that dog gear. I was gonna take some pics but got distracted..

Thanks Higgy.
The rear axle? I was stripping one the other day and thought of you and that dog gear. I was gonna take some pics but got distracted..
Click away Mike.. I need all the help i can get:lol:

Back