Its a bit stiff going into 3rd..

chapel gate Feb 6, 2019

1. chapel gate

chapel gate Well-Known Member Supporter Promoted Company I am in england

Map
    IMG-20190204-WA0002.jpg gearbox hub drive.jpg ... this might have something to do with it..

2. iwan_t24

iwan_t24 Well-Known Member I am in wales

Map
    That's a lucky one to extract off the main shaft!
    Are you going to change the bearings while you're in there?
    All looks good work goin on.. Well done man! :thumbup:

clivehorridge likes this.
  3. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    Oh Snap!! That was lucky it held together until you got to it. That could have taken a lot more with it under load if it had disintegrated.

chapel gate likes this.
  4. clivehorridge

clivehorridge Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in romania

Garage:
    Map
    Wow, what a mess...

I wish I had the courage to strip my box down, the bearings on the shaft (1st and 2nd gear) have been rasping a bit all through the 13 years of my ownership, it’s not got any worse in that time and all the gears work OK, so I’ve learned to live with it.

Brave man going in there Mike :thumbup:

chapel gate likes this.
  5. Opie

Opie New Member I am in australia

What’s the box like for a rebuild? I have pretty poor synchros in 1 and 2 and I can fell 3 getting a bit rough too. I’m tossing up whether to buy a second hand box or do a rebuild, but I feel like either way will be time and money.

6. frank rabbets

frank rabbets Well-Known Member

Map
    Hi Opie. There is an "early" stiff synchro box or a later one which has improved design. If you have the early one changing the synchros will make no difference. Been there and done it.

7. Towpack

Towpack Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Garage:
    Map
    The synchros in the later 80 box may have been improved but aren’t problem free. The 100 series box is supposed to be improved further.

8. Chris

Chris Super Moderator Supporter I am in europe

Garage:
    Map
    I have a 100 series box and it's fault free I have to say. I just need to find time to put it back in the truck sometime. I did one trip with it and it was a sheer delight. But the current one isn't so bad that it makes me want to do the work

9. chapel gate

chapel gate Well-Known Member Supporter Promoted Company I am in england

Map
    thanks mate.
    this is a pals gearbox. he just wants it back to good health as cheaply as possible. its not a project box.
    its always been quite and they feel fine so will be staying.

its not too bad. make sure you correctly identify which gear is which and you know where you are on the diagram before you start ordering parts.
    take your time.
    be very methodical.

clivehorridge and StarCruiser like this.
  10. Opie

Opie New Member I am in australia

Thanks for the tips on box types guys. I have been trying to decide what is better between a 2nd hand unit and a rebuild. Is the 100 box still an H151? Is it a straight swap on the 1HZ? Thanks again for your info.

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter