Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's hdj81

Sounds like a lovely old house.. always a shame when modernisation entails covering up the old features. .. great when you take off the 60s 70s hardboard! Old buildings make a great homes especially if it's been well insulated. .

Went over to see an old friend and his brother. They've bought an 80 to restore!

20180203_152856-1.jpg

I like it!
20180203_152140.jpg

It's had a bash in the rear corner early in its life and the lads have only had it 10days! They're doing a proper job and getting well stuck in!!
20180203_154438.jpg

We chopped out the rear quarter and rear boot panel corner out of the 24v. He shot blasted and repaired that and I think hes planning to mot it end of next week! Really nice to see a 80 getting saved! :clap::thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Always good to see another Cruiser kept on the road.

Great to see too Chas! My mate has had cruisers longer than me a 60 many many years back and an import 81 which he sold and regretted doing so for the last 8-9 years or so! Very inspiring to see this happening with great enthusiasm and so eager to complete!:icon-biggrin:
Hi Iwan not more 80s I would like more 40s thanks for the pics :laughing-rolling:

One and a bit of one is enough for me Tony! Lol! I'm planning on making a 125 out of the rest of the 24v 80 and the 45 when I get it! But it'll have to have leaf spring over axle 60 series setup up front cause the 8" front diff is disappointing to me! (sorry 80 folks!):lol: So you'll have to be patient "Tony Lad!":laughing-rolling:

Ripped out piles of it when we moved in here, walls, ceilings.....and doors.

Excellent video Flint thanks mate! There was a time when we (my late father and I) had an amazing oak door and it had the hardboard treatment on it and cause the door was so heavy and hard as the guy's tacks were weaker than the door. All the tacks were bent over and compressed into the hardboard! Looked a mess! Stripped off the covering and it was a very worthy door salewise!
The power of television and the skill of a don't know what!:lol::thumbup:

Had a day on the 81 today! Have done 125 miles since the repair! It's had some noisey tappets and after looking at @SeaJay 's tappet adjustment method I decided to follow suit!
20180205_111106.jpg

A cheap micrometer on a magnetic base...I've made 2 attempts with the feeler gauges and they're not the best method as it resulted in still a bit of noise! You need quite a lot of patience and understanding and time.... I came to the conclusion that I needed to spend 20 minutes per rocker to get the best result. Hard to explain in text but you do have to triple check the results.
When I did the inlet clearances with the feeler gauge and then checked with the micrometer they were too tight. So went with the micrometer. I carefully used a bar to check that the valve bridge was opening both valves at the same time as if the valve bridge adjustment was out then the upper rocker adjustment will definitely be out! With the valve bridge adjustment you leave the feeler gauge in place on the rocker shim and carefully pry the rocker end by the cam. Keep your eye on the valve bridge to see that both valves open at the same time. If the inner valve is opening before the other then adjust the bridge adjustment so both valves open at the same time! Then adjust the rocker clearance with the feeler gauge. I then checked with the micrometer to get the correct setting in the FSM.
20180205_111133.jpg

It's very precise work and I spent 6 hrs today doing this! I started it up after and it was silent tick tickwise! The quietest Ive ever heard it. The oil is still clean and its driving lovely. .. infact the 70 series is a complete bone shaker compared to the 81. But I love them both very much! So the 81 is going out to work tomorrow as I'm getting more confident with it!
Hopefully we get a big dump of snow as its ready for some drift busting! Lol:icon-biggrin::thumbup:

Had a day on the 81 today! Have done 125 miles since the repair! It's had some noisey tappets and after looking at @SeaJay 's tappet adjustment method I decided to follow suit!
View attachment 140054
A cheap micrometer on a magnetic base...I've made 2 attempts with the feeler gauges and they're not the best method as it resulted in still a bit of noise! You need quite a lot of patience and understanding and time.... I came to the conclusion that I needed to spend 20 minutes per rocker to get the best result. Hard to explain in text but you do have to triple check the results.
When I did the inlet clearances with the feeler gauge and then checked with the micrometer they were too tight. So went with the micrometer. I carefully used a bar to check that the valve bridge was opening both valves at the same time as if the valve bridge adjustment was out then the upper rocker adjustment will definitely be out! With the valve bridge adjustment you leave the feeler gauge in place on the rocker shim and carefully pry the rocker end by the cam. Keep your eye on the valve bridge to see that both valves open at the same time. If the inner valve is opening before the other then adjust the bridge adjustment so both valves open at the same time! Then adjust the rocker clearance with the feeler gauge. I then checked with the micrometer to get the correct setting in the FSM.
View attachment 140055
It's very precise work and I spent 6 hrs today doing this! I started it up after and it was silent tick tickwise! The quietest Ive ever heard it. The oil is still clean and its driving lovely. .. infact the 70 series is a complete bone shaker compared to the 81. But I love them both very much! So the 81 is going out to work tomorrow as I'm getting more confident with it!
Hopefully we get a big dump of snow as its ready for some drift busting! Lol:icon-biggrin::thumbup:

Fancy setting a couple of mine up?
Glad its all come togeter for you mate.

Partial to a bit of drift busting myself.
good work on the tappets. Im a bit stuck for time at the moment so ill see if good old barry bucknell is available. .

Fancy setting a couple of mine up?
Glad its all come togeter for you mate.

Bit of a relief mate... thanks for sorting out the bearings I forgot/missed to mention earlier in the thread! Yeah to set some more tappets up.. have a tried and tested method now!:thumbup:

Partial to a bit of drift busting myself.
good work on the tappets. Im a bit stuck for time at the moment so ill see if good old barry bucknell is available. .

Oh yeah! The weather forcast was a bit out today! I'm sure the weatherman is in cohoots with the bread/milk and egg companies! To get the back log of stock out! lol :laughing-rolling:

With the micrometer it's amazing the difference just a slight turn between a drag on the feeler gauge and a loose feeler gauge setting! Just not quite enough accuracy with feeler gauge! All in all a successful mission! Well happy!:thumbup:

20180313_070257.jpg

Bad lad gone on vacation! :lol:
Running like a dream! Had a wash and a hoover out.... ready for a run!
20180301_121700.jpg

Hell of a contrast to a week ago!
Am seriously loving the 81! He's tucked up in the zimmers car park in north Germany's coast at the moment! Lol. He's waiting for the morning to have a run down to Freisland in the morning! Will be spending a few days doing some improvements! Hehe:thumbup:

A couple of pictures!
20180314_095644.jpg

20180314_095713.jpg

Northern Germany. ... the road is long!

20180314_160313.jpg

In the Netherlands. .. dykes are high at present as heavy wind is blowing the ijssel meer eastwards and preventing the water flow! Following Jente from the forum in his 61.
20180314_170802.jpg

A shortened 80 series chassis and a hanging 12ht.
20180314_170742.jpg

A 61 body in the process of being restored and then to be dropped onto the 80 chassis. Very interesting project and just running out of battery on my device! :thumbup:

Very interesting yet different project you got going there Iwan. Be great to see this work materialise and finish . Thanks for posting :clap:

Mind telling me what wheel/tyre combo your running on that Iwan please ?

Mind telling me what wheel/tyre combo your running on that Iwan please ?

At a wild guess they look like modular 15” x 8” with a hefty offset (or spacers) and maybe 285/85/15 tyres ... ??

Looking good, whatever... :thumbup:

Back