Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's hdj81

Iwan

Country Flag
wales
Hi guy's. . Have made it over to the 80 series!

I started a thread in July about a local hdj81 vx limited that has a few issues. After hard dealing and leaving time, it is home for £1300 and he gave me £20 for luck!

After looking at the auto box issue. The accelerator position cable is seized and not broken, it is stuck full out. The guy said that the truck hadnt been driven much after the problem occured. He changed the atf fluid and said it was clean and had no black bits or smelt burnt.
Hopefully use was stopped in time with no extensive damage.....

Both batteries were flat yesterday evening so am eger to get out and try to fire it up. The right hand negative battery terminal is shot so first job.

As an import the underside is real neat and doesnt even need painting so pleasing!

20141101_105721.jpg
70 series had a heavy pull back (thats what its there for!)

20141101_105721.jpg IMG-20141101-WA0003.jpeg

Iwan, well done. Bargain. That cable does get stiff and sometimes seize completely. It's pretty easy to change but it's not cheap. You need to take the auto box sump off. Always woorth cleaning out the ATF filter whilst you're in there. Wear a hat though. It drips a lot.

Cheers Chris.. overall its not too bad.. have got decent charge in the batteries and worked out how the immobiliser works.

When I goto start the starter motor sounds like a rattle gun! So am trying to work out the reason. Not engaging or not enough power going to it.
So could it be the starter motor or 12v to 24v start relay?
Must be a diagnosis here! Thanks!!

Hi Iwan that looks a good cruiser good look with it big :thumbup: from Tony .

Bravo Iwan, and a bargain too by the sound of it :clap::clap::clap:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The Rattle gun sound on trying to start it is the batteries not having enough grunt in them, may be worth investing in a new pair

Iwan, just try a jump lead from the -ve on the battery to the engine lifting point. Could well be batteries of course, but a poor earth to the block is not uncommon. This bypasses that. I there is no difference then it's not the earth clearly. I bought a pair recently from www.batterymegastore.co.uk/?gclid=CPfA0bvH3MECFSgFwwodN1YAlg

They are fast and pretty much best prices around. Free next day delivery. Shame you are not closer, I have a pair of Optima Red tops sitting here doing nothing. And a spare driver's side Yuasa too. It just turned out that way. I'm not collecting them.

Nice one Iwan ☺
Cheers mate!:thumbup:

Hi Iwan that looks a good cruiser good look with it big :thumbup: from Tony .
Thanks tony! If you like this one. .. you're going to love the next big project coming in!! Just need to peel away from work to sort it out!:icon-smile:

Bravo Iwan, and a bargain too by the sound of it :clap::clap::clap:
Thought you'd like this one Clive. . I got it running and moved from the muddy area it was in. Much happier with it now..

The Rattle gun sound on trying to start it is the batteries not having enough grunt in them, may be worth investing in a new pair
Thanks yes the lhs battery had 11.33 v in it. Fitted one of my 60 series and started with a flick of the key! Running sweet as a nut :dance:

Moved to a dryer concrete surface, removed the oil pan and cable removed now that's a dirty challenging job!
I am wondering where's the best place to buy a new one???

Thanks all!!

Simon Holton should be able to help
01296 673560

Last edited:
I couldn't find an aftermarket one anywhere. Had to go genuine in the end.

Superb guys! Thanks for the source. When I moved it after getting it running, it seemed quite keen and responsive so am hoping that it could be a smooth fix. I believe that it still has mot so..... fingers crossed it maybe on the road next weekend!
The immediate mods are ..... too low suspension wise... the exhaust is way too quiet and need to find the correct fuel tweek point!! (Have an idea already!)

Could do with a new bumper (winch), drivers sidelight and possibly a colour coded front drivers wing!

But im not going to count my chickens until they're hatched! I want to get it driving first. .
20141102_142432.jpg

Attachments

• 20141102_142353.jpg
    20141102_142353.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 614
Great project Iwan, looking forward to seeing what you do with it! :thumbup:

£20 back for luck? Sounds like it came from the same sort of people I bought LJ from! :shifty:

Thanks tony! If you like this one. .. you're going to love the next big project coming in!! Just need to peel away from work to sort it out!:icon-smile:

Sounds interesting! :think:

Hi Iwan you have got me interest in it and I can wait to see wot you R up to
Good look with it and have a good day :thumbup::shock::shock::shock:
Tony.

Haha Andy! I will have to get up very early in the morning to find a cruiser you don't know of!! :lol:

Was good to talk to you yesterday. . All the best man :thumbup:

Yes matey, it was. I'm sure there will be a whole raft of helpful advice from the forum to help you on your 80 journey :thumbup: .

Andy

I have been looking into the 4" suspension lift kits. There's a lot to go through!

I have got into contact with a guy who has a tjm 4" kit new in boxes. I thought I'd ask the question of whether they are a worthy product and to get a bit of a low down on the product.

Any views are appreciated! Thanks

Back