Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's hdj81

Stunning views! Were at about 1200 foot too. Facing West. We can also see the wrekin on a clear day, the other side of it though..

Sound mate! Im sure you must be in the north north east pic somewhere.. I'm guessing that you're seeing the north side of the wreking ish.. nice living up on the tops!!:thumbup:
Wonderful Iwan.

If I can get my 80 over to Lincomb next year, I’d like to pay you a visit, and to see the old country again.

I’ve no Welsh blood in me, but having lived in your locale for almost 15 years, it creeps in there after a while :lol:

You could take us for an off-road run somewhere ... if the timing is right for you...

Absolutely Clive! We can take the boot side covers and transfer the spacings off mine to yours so you can fit the load liner which was on mine!!! Bit of a mouthfull there but you get the picture lol!! Plenty of trails around here lol!:thumbup:

Sound mate! Im sure you must be in the north north east pic somewhere.. I'm guessing that you're seeing the north side of the wreking ish.. nice living up on the tops!!:thumbup:

Absolutely Clive! We can take the boot side covers and transfer the spacings off mine to yours so you can fit the load liner which was on mine!!! Bit of a mouthfull there but you get the picture lol!! Plenty of trails around here lol!:thumbup:

Sounds like a bit of a plan Iwan, be nice to do some tracks too... :thumbup:

Its a beautiful spot you live in Iwan! :clap:

I cant wait to escape suburbia and live some where like that! :icon-biggrin:

I'm over in September for my brothers wedding, I'd love to shoot over and have a catch up again and see what you've been up to with your projects :thumbup:

Had a fantastic day today!
3 years ago I started to build a new workshop from a reclaimed steel framed building that I bought.
20150123_155503.jpg

Ground work and demolition.
20150209_161840.jpg

Frames going up. Notice the dutch barn at the back with the higher ground. There was a danger at that point of loosing from subsidence.
20150223_160928.jpg

We decided to make an extra portal frame to add 6 m to the length. Wolfy is always helping! Myself and Gwyn pictured made the portal frame in a day and a half.. both never done this!
20150225_131929.jpg

Fitted well! Starting to take shape!
20150312_101420.jpg

Looking bloody good here.... invested in pre formed concrete panels. .. saved the rear of the barn behind!

20150430_155727.jpg

I got it roofed .... and ran out of money!

3 years later after building gable ends putting 50 ton of stone recently and rolling, compressing ..
20180518_172624.jpg

We finally laid 21.5 m2 of concrete today! Been a hell of a job taken time as I only wanted to spend money that I have earned.
But now I am in a very strong position to move my oak framing work into here. Which releases my old workshop into a full on cruiser shop!

Really really pleased that this space after all the effort and expense has come into fruition!

No matter how hard something is to achieve. .... keep plugging away at it. Cause it WILL HAPPEN!

Well happy tonight :thumbup::icon-biggrin::lol:

Its a beautiful spot you live in Iwan! :clap:

I cant wait to escape suburbia and live some where like that! :icon-biggrin:

I'm over in September for my brothers wedding, I'd love to shoot over and have a catch up again and see what you've been up to with your projects :thumbup:

Sorry for the late reply mate! Be great to see you again! :thumbup:

Reactions: Ben
Great work mate! :clap:

Looks awesome! :thumbup:

I bet you cant wait to get it finished and set up for your wood work, what a great space! :icon-biggrin:

I'm not envious at all! :eusa-liar:

See you in September. ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Been a while since I've needed to touch the 81, it drives fantastic and it's really standing up to the daily drive use! It boosts at 1300 rpm and has great low down grunt!

20180701_114132.jpg

So as its a lovely warm day I'm getting back into continuing with rust watch! It's 27 years old and I want it to last!
During the last winter it got a lot of snow in it from recovery gear and shovels.. snowy boots etc. So when I removed the boot carpet, I found surface rust on the inside of the rear floor. So it's got to be dealt with!

20180701_114518.jpg

From doing the paint work previously I've always known about the rust here! So this is my main mission today! Plus will be sealing up the holes for the trim clips along the bottom.
20180701_114540.jpg

The drivers side isn't as bad.. so still need rust treatment etch primed and paint.
When this work is carried out I can fit my gull winged doors! All in good time after the paint has hardened which shouldn't take too long with the sunshine!

Will update as I go along! Cheers

Hi Iwan good to see you getting on with the 80 it will be one of your top job :icon-idea:

I peeled the carpet back on the front driver (left) side of my 80 the other day...

Ouch, a rusting floor pan.

I’m guessing the other side will be as bad... now Iwan, you’ve touched my guilty conscience... :think: :icon-cry:

Hi Iwan good to see you getting on with the 80 it will be one of your top job :icon-idea:

Cheers Tony! Had a good hit on it! The rust has been taken out to shiny metal and treated.
Currently waiting for the etch primer to harden.
20180701_152908.jpg

Adequate masking job! Thats the most boring part of painting.. but the most important part. .lol!
20180701_162316.jpg

Passenger side has turned out well. Pretty pleased with the result really. Am going to flat out the paint line after work tomorrow and have been thinking about painting the whole aperture. ... but thats a bigger job than I have time to do at the moment.

Was going to try and get a top coat on today... I have the paint and hardener but no thinners! Probably a good thing to let the primer cure over night.

To be honest I'm quite surprised how much rust was hidden from sight under the fixed window rubbers. . Its under control now though!

Thanks for looking! :thumbup:

I peeled the carpet back on the front driver (left) side of my 80 the other day...

Ouch, a rusting floor pan.

I’m guessing the other side will be as bad... now Iwan, you’ve touched my guilty conscience... :think: :icon-cry:

Yes Clive.. I was quite alarmed back in when ever it was before driving to Germany when I took the wet rear carpet out.
I'm planning on or thinking of getting the front seats and carpet out. Then rust treatment and bed liner of some kind.
Being my daily drive. It will have to go into dock before winter. Too busy with work and depending on the use of it at present.
There's no rust on the underside. But young rust inside! It's a job that cannot be avoided!

A job on the cards!:eusa-shhh::thumbup:

Yes Clive.. I was quite alarmed back in when ever it was before driving to Germany when I took the wet rear carpet out.
I'm planning on or thinking of getting the front seats and carpet out. Then rust treatment and bed liner of some kind.
Being my daily drive. It will have to go into dock before winter. Too busy with work and depending on the use of it at present.
There's no rust on the underside. But young rust inside! It's a job that cannot be avoided!

A job on the cards!:eusa-shhh::thumbup:

I’ve checked the underside of mine regularly, and it’s still “that” blue. It came as quite a shock when I saw the state of the inside.

It’s mostly from the winters I guess, jumping in with 6” of snow on boots, it has to go somewhere, and a soggy carpet from November to May every year must take its toll...

I’m hoping a good dousing in some sort of “converter” will do it, and like you say, something like bed-liner to follow...

Well this has made me think (and it's not unusual! lol). In a snowy winter scenario where the pavements are salted for lets say the old lady up the road or what ever. Then as the owner of the 80 jumps into their truck. Their boots are holding snow which has the salt stuck to them. Then the 80 starts up and the heater is on then the carpet is holding like a salty brine which would only dry out in the spring or later. Really the carpets are hiding the state of the floor. It's quite an inconvenience to take the interior out to check the condition of the inner floor.

But if it's a keeper then it would be quite an important thing to do, in my opinion/train of thought. :think:

Well this has made me think (and it's not unusual! lol). In a snowy winter scenario where the pavements are salted for lets say the old lady up the road or what ever. Then as the owner of the 80 jumps into their truck. Their boots are holding snow which has the salt stuck to them. Then the 80 starts up and the heater is on then the carpet is holding like a salty brine which would only dry out in the spring or later. Really the carpets are hiding the state of the floor. It's quite an inconvenience to take the interior out to check the condition of the inner floor.

But if it's a keeper then it would be quite an important thing to do, in my opinion/train of thought. :think:

For me, keeper it is. I’ve had it 12 years now, and unless some dumb politician decides that old diesels won’t be allowed on the road any more, my plan is to be buried in it!

The current prime minister is a corrupt bitch (IMO and a few million others that protest every evening in the major cities all over Romania) and she plans to ban non-Euro 4 diesel (at least) from Bucharest in 2019, so that will be very inconvenient for the likes of me in my Euro 1 diesel. :icon-cry:

Ohh coruption is rife in positions of power! We've had austerity rammed in our faces for quite some time. .. am sure its a term for transferring funds to the Caman Islands!

Just painted the repair's after work. .
20180702_163350.jpg

Nice to see the 4 holes filled, rust treated, etch primed and a good coat of satin black.
20180702_163407.jpg

This side was the worst. But now it's protected and ready to roll!

Happy days! I'm going to fit the doors after work on Wednesday. If the paint has hardened enough.

All good!:thumbup:

The interior paintwork doesnt have the protective lacquer coat on it neither. Im not saying its porous, but it doesnt seem to take much before the rust sets in..

We fitted the doors after work today!
Must say they are excellent! @StarCruiser

20180704_172939.jpg

They have great lines around the aperture and bring the outer line level with the side door glass.
20180704_172910.jpg

The paint repair had hardened well so no damage to that during quite quick installation.
20180704_173003.jpg

I see how the molle pannels work now. I will definitely be getting a pair of those to finish off the interior.
20180704_173145.jpg

Great lines and a great product. ...
20180704_111934_LLS.jpg
20180704_111934_LLS.jpg

This is what I've been working on.
Why climb a ladder to rafter a roof? On the gable end it shows the direct glazing method on a green oak frame!

Aint life good!:icon-biggrin::thumbup:

Hey Iwan, thanks, thats real craftsmanship right there.

I don’t mean the gullwings by the way. :)

Is that lot getting craned into position then?

Sound man! Yeah it'll be going up on Tuesday next week. Be 7 lifts with a large reach teleporter.

A bit of a reach needed as the access is from the furthest wallplate in the picture.

All getting delivered by 81 power with the trailer!

All the best man and thanks for the effort in producing the doors!!:thumbup:

Back