Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's hdj81

All good .................... until you chance upon some wide wheels :lol:

Lol oh jeeze can't go there! :laughing-rolling::thumbup:

Looking good Iwan you got there in the end .:auto-layrubber:

Nice one Tone! You gotta stay determined or the dust will settle on it and it could be month's untill they're done lol!:thumbup:

Moving onto pastures new!

P1010864.JPG

Have the time to look into the other 81 today, it has very tight rusted bolt's! Took an aon to undoo the exhaust which was where I started this morning! And reasonably quick to clear this side after. Managed to not open the AC circuit thank fully.
P1010865.JPG

Fuel pipes are right fiddle..
P1010866.JPG

I'm getting there at the end of the day! Checked and all the valves and they're ok, the inlets are very oily so valve guide seals could be responsible. Speculation..

So injectors out, glow plugs out, cam belt off (needs a new belt), cam shaft out and have worked out how I'm going to lift the head off!

Main first check is that the head is alright. Then hopefully the 5th cylinder bore isn't scored or too badly!

Interested to see!:thumbup:

And continued on today!
P1010870.JPG

Safely managed to lift the head off! All sorts of thing's going through my head of the horror that could be under the head!

P1010872.JPG

First look and was pleasantly surprised that there's no scoring on the bore of no5.

P1010871.JPG

No 5 cylinder had oil in the middle and you can see where the head gasket has been blowing too, but not sure where into? But when you pull the piston from the top it moves up and down quite a lot which all the other ones don't do! Suggesting little end bearing or big end bearing which you'd expect a hole in the side of the engine! It was still running..

P1010875.JPG

First examination of the head it's not showing cracks so quite promising.. This manual has guided me very well to get this far.. but going to find a download of the FSM to refit..

P1010876.JPG

No 5 on the head is looking reasonably well after having the loose piston smacking it! You can see the imprint of the centre hole of the piston... but showing that the head gasket was blowing on the block side of the gasket.

I think there's a good chance of saving the engine, what do you think? Interested in hearing if you have some intel! Cheers in advance Lol!:thumbup:

With number 5 at the bottom of the stroke any scoring in the block?

I was thinking of getting an easier way of turning the end of the crank to see. But been struggling to get the viscous fan out but it seems to be that I need to remove the fan shroud which involves taking at least one of the battery trays out to enable it.. tried for a while and moved on to another task at the time! But next step to remove the passengerside battery tray iirc to get clear access to get them out and to turn the crank from above.
It got a bit dark today to persue it, but back with on it in the morning... might pop down there now to drain the oil out ready to get the sump off in the morning and get some more info with it.. main concern is oil contamination with filings which could result in like a grinding paste in the bebs and main bearings..

Had some good luck with it so far... lets hope it follows through!

So your initial thoughts are a big end bearing failure Iwan? Will be interesting to know what condition number 5 is in.
That would kinda make sense as it's pretty much the only weak point of these engines everything else being in order.
Blown gasket due to increased compression??
If the gasket was blowing to the adjacent cylinder you would expect it to show up on the compression test.
Any broken rings?

Interesting stuff! Crack on lad! :thumbup:

I was tugging on the top of the piston after looking at it and really hoped that it isn't the beb. There's a reasonable amount of movement in it.

The beb s were changed quite a while ago, don't know which type yet but going to find out tomorow.. lol

On the block it doesn't look like it was going into no6 but when you run your finger nail over it it feels like there's a depression in feel there. Or a raise in carbon but it feels like the block needs machining flat again. The head thankfully isn't showing so there's a massive plus there! Also on the head theres still space for it to be skimmed as on there is a depth marker there that shows the available skimming space and it has it.So confident in the head but without checking it yet...

Looking at the paperwork of the truck, it shows that the head gasket was done in 2010.. and the hardest bolt on the exhaust manifold was left out!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got a bit more info now!

P1010877.JPG

A pic of the bore @stumog

P1010880.JPG

Got the sump off and found that there's no beb left, just the conrod and journal! WTF! A view from the top.

P1010881.JPG

Pretty much toast the con rod??

P1010882.JPG

Quite surprised that it's not a lot worse, considering it's worn the bearing away.

P1010883.JPG

I wonder if it's bigger or smaller than it should be? Guessing that this needs grinding if possible??

P1010885.JPG

Sump back on and time for a good study of the FSM.. and work out the best route..:think::thumbup:

Well that's a interesting find then

So you need to find out how much the block has worn to see if it could be rebored and oversize rings fitted and the same process with the crank to see if its salvagable.

Well that's a interesting find then

So you need to find out how much the block has worn to see if it could be rebored and oversize rings fitted and the same process with the crank to see if its salvagable.

Yeah pretty rum find.. am looking at getting a good quality right sized used micrometer. To get a good representation of whats there.. Did notice that it's got no2 size piston in no 5. So there's still the bigger no3 size to move upto.. Plenty of research to be done here! Thanks for your reply man!:thumbup:

I am.not sure what parts you can get for the Toyota.

If you get stuck we have a really good engine builder in Bristol that would certainly go though what's available to you.

They have built lots of bits of my engines not the cheapest but you pay for the help sometimes

I'm sure Andy lomas had a bottom end for sale a while back. Might be the simpler way out.

Ah man, I had a discussion with Andy over 2 1/2 weeks ago about this.. I wanted to get the engine stripped down to ascertain if it had potential and to weigh it up a bit.

Because of the conversation with Andy, I didn't mention it today when I spoke to you,

It is what it is.

Got a bit more info now!

View attachment 161263

A pic of the bore @stumog

View attachment 161264

Got the sump off and found that there's no beb left, just the conrod and journal! WTF! A view from the top.

View attachment 161265

Pretty much toast the con rod??

View attachment 161266

Quite surprised that it's not a lot worse, considering it's worn the bearing away.

View attachment 161267

I wonder if it's bigger or smaller than it should be? Guessing that this needs grinding if possible??

View attachment 161268

Sump back on and time for a good study of the FSM.. and work out the best route..:think::thumbup:
Looks like someone has been in there before and dropped a bollock to me..

Last time I checked all oem parts are still available.
I know you know your stuff and do your research thoroughly, but just be aware 90 to 93 are funny years regarding changes to pistons and injector seating washers.

Rebuild it, or get it rebuilt the correct way, that way it will serve you a long time and you know what you have.
It's possible the crank can be grinded again to under spec.
I would also get the injectors checked, common thing to wear out BEBs like that when an injector is faulty.

Looks like someone has been in there before and dropped a bollock to me..

Last time I checked all oem parts are still available.
I know you know your stuff and do your research thoroughly, but just be aware 90 to 93 are funny years regarding changes to pistons and injector seating washers.

Indeed I had read that the 1hdt before 08/92 had a bigger cutout in the centre of the piston 40mm iirc and the ones after the date are 36mm... or the other way round lol. There's a thicker injector washer for one and a thinner washer for the other I read.. Being the earlier engine I got lead to think that the piston was cracked like some of the early ones have been documented..... evidently not in this case lol!

Rebuild it, or get it rebuilt the correct way, that way it will serve you a long time and you know what you have.
It's possible the crank can be grinded again to under spec.
I would also get the injectors checked, common thing to wear out BEBs like that when an injector is faulty.

Yep definitely intend to rebuild it at some point, interested to get some experience from it.. and have it for the future.. Get it into some decent dry storage..

Doing some research into porting and polishing the head... anyone tried this on a 1hdt?

I know this isn’t a Landcruiser but I found myself in the same situation with an Audi I just bought, looking at this I just bought another engine rather than spend, where do you stop replacing parts for piece of mind? Yes you do know what you have, but still no guarantee something else won’t fail
40BF5D15-C278-460A-ADB1-C3EA55A37E1E.jpeg
783EF601-162A-44CE-AABC-F63E6DF74FD1.jpeg

Indeed I had read that the 1hdt before 08/92 had a bigger cutout in the centre of the piston 40mm iirc and the ones after the date are 36mm... or the other way round lol. There's a thicker injector washer for one and a thinner washer for the other I read.. Being the earlier engine I got lead to think that the piston was cracked like some of the early ones have been documented..... evidently not in this case lol!

Yep definitely intend to rebuild it at some point, interested to get some experience from it.. and have it for the future.. Get it into some decent dry storage..

Doing some research into porting and polishing the head... anyone tried this on a 1hdt?
Your on it then.:thumbup:

Some "upgrade" to the later pistons as part of a rebuild.

There is quite a bit of overlap on the exhaust and inlet manifolds. A simple, can't go wrong introduction to porting!.

Back