Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

J 90 VS 120

Tuskar

Country Flag
ireland
I've spotted a nice 2001 3L diesel with 140k miles on the clock for sale and I'm tempted . How does it compare to the later 2006 3L diesel which I'm more familiar with .
Is it much less fuel efficent with the older engine and 5 speed box . I achieve about 30 mpg on my 2006 model
Are there any things I ought to check and watch out for ?
Thanks

I'm sure others will chip in but I'll just limit myself to saying that you will not get 30mpg out of a 1KZ-TE... more in the region of 22-26mpg. But none of us buy these things for the fuel economy, right!?

I've had the opportunity to compare fuel economy on long continental motorway trips and mine is a little better than a 2015 Defender 110, and a little worse than a Discovery 1 so I'm happy enough with that. Maybe the D4Ds are a bit better, but I've just come to accept that all proper 4x4s are much of a muchness (I'll wait and see if there's a nice surprise coming when I eventually upgrade).

I have a 1kz-te 90 pushing considerably more power than Toyota intended through modification but i think i still get around 21mpg from it .

The Mrs has a 2001 D4D 90 and fuel wise its so much better i never bothered to try to work it out . Personal opinion the D4D 1kd engine used in the last of the 90 series is stronger than the 2kd that replaced it though this is based loosely on problems reported via the forum and one must accept the 1kd 90 is somewhat rare .

Only problems i can recall with the engine i assume your looking at is suction control valve failure , they are easy replaced .

Look for cracks in the rear axle turrets and if its manual drop the clutch quick while changing up a gear to ensure it engages smoothly , an alarming "THUD" probably means the transfer box needs repair or replacing .

Just check if it's the kz or kd engine.. the latter is badged D4D on the wing, but I believe the first ones off the line didn't get the badge. The kd is an impressive unit, mine returns 30 odd mpg if I'm nice to it.

You got a good one Bob , mine should be sold because i don't need and have no space for a third car but i just know my unbadged D4D 90 is likely to outlast the much more fun to drive 1kz and the 1hdft .

The worst truck i have is the best one - work that out if you can , but different strokes for different folks my younger bro has a 120 to go with his nike trainers coz it says so on the badge :lol: :icon-rolleyes:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When your 'worst' truck is a kd engined 90, then you know you have first world problems! (With trucks that keep 3rd world countries moving)

I have found, moving on from a D4D VX Collie to an LC4 120 ( both auto) that the 120 is less economical than the Collie. I could squeeze 500 miles on a tank in the Collie on a weekend of long motorway journeys ( I'm sure the cruise control helped) which when brimmed worked out at just over 30 mpg. I've not tried the tank to empty on the 120 but on a 360 round trip when brimmed it worked out at 28.
Knocking about short journeys the Collie was 24 and the 120 22, maybe the 120 is a tad heavier?

Ive got a 2001 D4-D 90 manual LWB and on a run I get 29mpg keeping it at 65-70mph. Not much less around town.

Back