Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

J100 automatic will only go backwards....pls help!

Ini Mkpong

Country Flag
nigeria
Hi, I have a 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser J100 automatic that stoped going forward, I have checked the transmission level and it looks and smells ok. It continues to drive well in reverse only. I am lost and hope that someone else has had this problem and can assist me as I cannot afford a transmission replacement as I cannot find a replacement here in West Africa....someone pls help!!

Check your selector linkage underneath.. if its the same as an 80 its simple nuts and bolts maybe something has rattled loose or come adrift .. I dont have a 100 series .. but plenty of folk on here do. Im sure someone with better Knowledge will be along soon.....Have you lost all forward gears?

One thing’s for sure it’s not the gearbox itself that’s the problem. How do we know?
Reverse works- this means the atf pump is ok and so is the torque converter. The clutches are ok otherwise they would be slipping rather than losing all forward gears. The selector is ok as you can put it in reverse so that leaves fluid, valve block, wiring and gearbox ECU. This unfortunately is where my help runs out except to say to check the plugs on the side of the gearbox are all clean and mated correctly and that there is no damage to wiring.
Did this coincide with something? A service, a deep water crossing, an off road obstacle hit perhaps?

Also check fluid level hot with engine running and after cycling through all gears (ok just reverse in your case).

What SC says. But, a bit more info could give you better answers.
A 2003, assuming it is a 100 and not a 105-series, could be fitted with the 4-speed or 5-speed box. The newer 5-speed (with a gated shifter) has the gearbox and engine ECU in one unit, while the earlier 4-sp has separate engine and gearbox ECUs. There are also differences between HDJ-100 (diesel) and UZJ-100 (petrol) when it comes to gearbox configuration. And RHD/LHD differs in placement of components.

What happens when you put it in drive? Does the shifter feel normal? Any noise?
The engine ECU sits just under the right side of the windscreen, and is more or less bomb-proof, except for water damage as a result of an ill-fitted, leaking windscreen. And even then, it is often only a plug which is corroded.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Back