Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

J120 traction control when cornering

Jules 120

Country Flag
uk
Hi I have a 2005 j120 LC5 and when you go into a corner the traction control light flashes and beeps ! I guess it’s sensing oversteer and then activates ABS and physically dabs the breaks on !! Has anyone had this happen to them and know how to fix it ? I’ve put new rear shocks on and ride height sensors,had them calibrated and the ride heights set and steering angle sensor . It’s been plugged into lots of computers saying that the wheel speed sensors are all working correctly and showing no faults ! Would be grateful for any feedback thanks

Last edited:
Never known that specific problem to occur on my LC5 / 05. I guess all the bits and bobs you put on there are OE?

Seems patronizing to suggest it but we often overlook the most simple things while worrying about what we feel is sure to be a more serious problem but calibrated computers won't correct mechanical wheel alignment issues ?

Have the computer checks just looked at static codes or have you looked at live data while the vehicle.is being driven and the problem actually occurs?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Seems patronizing to suggest it but we often overlook the most simple things while worrying about what we feel is sure to be a more serious problem but calibrated computers won't correct mechanical wheel alignment issues ?
Hi yes had laser wheel alignment done

Have the computer checks just looked at static codes or have you looked at live data while the vehicle.is being driven and the problem actually occurs?
Hi yes we’ve done both ! when doing an active test and get the car to show the fault and nothing shows on the computer! Thanks

Long shot, but the centre (or rear) diff lock isn't stuck on perchance without your knowledge, that feeling of the brakes being dabbed could be tyres slipping.

Ok thanks I will look into that . But would that activate traction control ? And it’s the front that’s skidding !

A locked differential winds the transmission up and the tyres skitter/jump if the surface is grippy ie normal dryish road, hopefully instead of an expensive part of the transmission breaking.
Any tyre can slip to relieve the wind up, it'll be the one with the least grip, could easily feel like an ABS event.
As i said a long shot but worth jacking up and checking you don't have a locked centre diff...note if its the front wheels slipping then if any diff is locked it will be the centre.
I'd also check all the brake calipers are free working, front are notorious on our Toyotas for piston seizing in the bores.

Last edited:
pull the ABS fuse which obviously does what it says
i think this should temporarily disable the traction control also

you need somewhere not too grippy where you can stuff it sideways
it should understeer then oversteer very subtly

then you'll know if you're driving the car...

high box,center diff unlocked
then try locking and unlocking the centre diff
should be seamless,slight click
on tarmac you'll feel heavier steering,that's the warning to unlock the centre diff

drive to Vladivostok,ferry to Japan
drive to Toyota city
look at the Land Cruiser factory
and say thank you for building your 120...

please edit your signature to incude either; LC3 LC4 or LC5

I only know LC3's

if it's LC4 or LC5 i'll get my coat...

Any progress on this issue, Jules 120? I have the same problem now... steering angle sensor replaced. Toyota recalibrate all sensors. Abs speed sensors on wheels are OK. Toyota diagnostics all loint to a new master brake cylinder unit which integrates the abs pump and accumulator... I have a 2005 Prado J120 V6

Back