Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Jambo from Watamu!

Watamu LC

Country Flag
kenya
Hello all,

I'll follow the template :icon-biggrin::

Your name: Casper

Your Cruiser: Prado, 1996, KD-KZJ78W-PET, 110,000km with the 1KZ-TE engine, automatic transmission.

Mods on your Cruiser: uhm...pretty sure it has a 2" lift. Pretty standard for the rest!

Plans for your Cruiser: No plans to make it into more than it is now, like good and drives real nice.

4x4 Experience: Spend some good time in the mud in Aus and southern Africa.

Anything else you think is interesting or relevant: I was brought up as a Land Rover-phile and this is the first Land Cruiser is the first one in the family. Previously owned a Disco II and a Defender. Well on my way to be converted...

I'm looking forward to getting tips, tricks and advice about this old beast!

Attachments

• IMG_1383-edit.jpeg
    IMG_1383-edit.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1385-edit.jpeg
    IMG_1385-edit.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 199
Welcome to the club. :thumbup:

Love your 78, looks very smart! :clap:

what he said - :) whats with the reg number along the side? not seen that before.

I remember in the UK time ago, there was a phase of having your reg. no etched into each piece of glass on the car as an anti ringing measure. Maybe an anti theft / deterrent [emoji15]

Thanks for the kind words, very happy with the car!
The reg number is on every panel and every piece of glass & mirror on the car!
Like Clive said, it is an anti-theft thing.

Now looking for someone who can help me an owner's manual!

Karibu from a neighbour in Uganda!

smart looking 78 (keep an eye on your temp needle) but you'll want an 80 series soon.... :icon-wink:

Mark

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Karibu from a neighbour in Uganda!

smart looking 78 (keep an eye on your temp needle) but you'll want an 80 series soon.... :icon-wink:

Mark

Hi Mark,
Asante sana bwana! Do you come down to the Kenyan coast?

What do you mean with the comment about the temp needle? Are they prone to overheating? :wtf:
Is there something I can do to prevent this?

I had a second engine temp warning light installed in my Disco II to make sure I knew about any overheating very quickly! (it never came on, btw)

Thanks,
Casper

Hi Casper and welcome. Super looking truck. Can't be too many like that about, certainly not many in the UK anyway.

Best wishes
Richard

Hi Mark,
Asante sana bwana! Do you come down to the Kenyan coast?

What do you mean with the comment about the temp needle? Are they prone to overheating? :wtf:
Is there something I can do to prevent this?

I had a second engine temp warning light installed in my Disco II to make sure I knew about any overheating very quickly! (it never came on, btw)

Thanks,
Casper

The 1KZ-T has been known to blow head gaskets and crack heads. :thumbdown:

The standard Toyota temp gauge is grossly inaccurate and by the time the gauge hits the red the engine is already overheating and has been for a while. :doh:

This thread is a treasure trove of information regarding this issue:

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...ling-the-1KZ-TE-motor?highlight=cooling+1kzte

Thanks for the heads up Ben & Mark N!

StarCruiser, I see this model in Kenya quite regularly. There are quite a few in Tanzania and Mozambique too.
Most of them are imports from Japan, complete with and japanese instructions & buttons!

yep - what Ben said. Fitting a second temp gauge is definitely recommended and keeping your cooling system meticulously maintained will help. Also blanking off your EGR (then pop the intake off and clean it out well) will help a bit and make the engine a touch more responsive with a touch more power.

I have been down to Turtle Bay a couple of times but have flown over. Will be driving to Nairobi in the new year for a conference.

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Casper, welcome to the forum! What prompted the change over to the LC? I mean, other than that it's a far more superior vehicle of course :icon-biggrin:

Back